Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2017, 07:52 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
First the chicken roasting-I'm over 60 and never roasted a chicken. I do not recall that my mother ever roasted one either.

As for the "adulting" classes-I can't recall my parents ever discussing health insurance with me. My father worked in the steel industry. Insurance was part of the standards benefit package, plus there weren't all these choices then, e.g. high deductible, managed care plans, blah, blah. The choice was generally "take it or leave it". I doubt it occurred to my father, the primary wage earner, that a professional job such as I got when I graduated from college would not offer health insurance.

Car tags? That seems pretty simple. Again, when I was first on my own, the states where I lived had the same expiration date for everyone; they sent you a renewal when it was due and you sent in your money and got your new plate, or some variation on that theme. Illinois' plates expired on Feb. 15, people were always complaining about putting on new plates (a new set every year) in the snow. As an aside to that, I did learn you were supposed to pay your bills when they came due. Even now here in CO, you get some notification that your tags need to be renewed and if you need an air-quality inspection.

Air filters? Seriously?

Living with roommates? Some young adults learn this in college. Family living is a pretty good teacher about getting along with different people.

Talking to your landlord? You need a class to know how to do this? This YA generation is very "communications" oriented, with social media, cell phones, texting, etc. Need to talk to the guy/woman? Call or send a text.

Finding legit news sources? Again, when I was a YA, there was the daily paper, a few news magazines (Time, Newsweek, US News and World Report), TV network news and the National Enquirer. It was pretty obvious which were legit. These days, yes, thousands of websites, but it's not *that* hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. The local paper and network news are pretty reliable.
Why do I need to roast a chicken? They come that way at WalMart, HEB, etc---
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 07:57 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
"life's a game you learn as you go"

Are kids supposed to know everything the day they turn 18 or their parents are failures?

I was discussing health insurance with my daughter, then age 18. she looked confused and asked where we learned all this? I told her its just through living, the school of life. You can't instruct someone in everything before they need to know it, it would just go in one ear and out the other anyways! Let's see, little Jason and Jennifer, lets do our flashcards today:

Deductible
Copay
Benefit
Premium

Now, lets all go roast a chicken!

Next year, when you turn six, I will teach you how to balance a checkbook and fry an egg!

Old 07-11-2017, 08:12 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I'm one of the millennials, and had Home Economics classes in middle school. I learned to sew using a sewing machine, we had a semester of cooking, if I had to relearn how to use a sewing machine I could but I haven't.
I learned to sew by buying a sewing machine. Perhaps I am over stating things since I haven't done anything more than hems.......but it sure beats making my harem pants by hanging the legs over my ballet barre and hand stitching it there!

As it was, I learned to hand stitch by being in the Navy. There was a need, to cuff things bought out of the Exchange and there was no time to have it tailored, and I did it.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:37 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Why is everyone harping on the roast chicken. It's just an example of a basic food item whose preparation is easy to learn. I grew up eating roasted chickens. I could even make a Thanksgiving turkey.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:42 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why is everyone harping on the roast chicken. It's just an example of a basic food item whose preparation is easy to learn. I grew up eating roasted chickens. I could even make a Thanksgiving turkey.
A basic food item for YOU, perhaps, but perhaps not for others. I hardly ever eat chicken except out of the can and then it is only in stews and salads.

That may be part of it in that there are certain items one seems intent to ram down the throat of others and those items are rather local.

Would it be right if I insisted that everyone needs to be taught how to mix powdered milk? After all, I grew up on the stuff and now as an adult, it is what I drink. It is a more economical use of the product so why shouldn't everyone know?

Old 07-11-2017, 08:45 PM

691 posts, read 419,314 times
I do not see an issue here as every generation " has to get schooled", what it looks like or how its achieved is subjective

Old 07-11-2017, 08:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Turkey I've done. Chicken I haven't.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:22 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Why do I need to roast a chicken? They come that way at WalMart, HEB, etc---
GAH! The SALT! I cannot eat commercial rotisserie chicken. But to that point, being able to control the economics and health benefits of ones food is what motivates me to continue to cook from scratch. That's just me.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:24 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
There seems to be an implication that that one skill is specifically paramount. I doubt that was intended. I think the notion of being able to control the economics and health benefits of ones food by having knowledge of how to prepare it is paramount.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:42 AM

50,695 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
A basic food item for YOU, perhaps, but perhaps not for others. I hardly ever eat chicken except out of the can and then it is only in stews and salads.

That may be part of it in that there are certain items one seems intent to ram down the throat of others and those items are rather local.

Would it be right if I insisted that everyone needs to be taught how to mix powdered milk? After all, I grew up on the stuff and now as an adult, it is what I drink. It is a more economical use of the product so why shouldn't everyone know?
The point is, it was an example. No one is telling you to have roast chicken. It's just odd that everyone focuses on the chicken roasting and ignores the fact they don't know how to use a bank by the time they get to adulthood. It does seem like things like taking your kids to the bank to open a savings account when they're little has gone by the wayside, although I'm sure bank fees have something to do with that. But there for sure ARE important things that kids need to know about in the adult world, like how credit works, that many do not learn. The classes sound like a great idea.

No need to get defensive if you didn't teach your kids to roast a chicken, again just one example of a basic meal.

[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting