Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 01:28 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
What you described has always been my experience with overnight camps as well. I find it really shocking that there apparently was not such a system to distribute meds each morning and keep track of who had received meds and who had not. And, yes, children were not permitted to hold onto their own meds with the exception of Epi-Pens/inhalers. In this case, though, it appears that the children (at least my child) did not receive their meds unless they asked for them. I'm awaiting a response from the camp director to clarify all of this.
I am sorry that you had that experience. I must say that it is an unusual one.

As an RN, I was medical director or health director of both camps. I lived on site for three months. This is ACA (American Camp Association) standard procedure.

Distribution of medications is taken quite seriously - as it should be.

I worked in the Pocono Mountains of PA where some of the best - and most expensive residential camps are located. Going away to camp, is a right of passage for many people in the NYC metropolitan area.

I'm somewhat familiar with Dunwoody GA and I know it is sophisticated and upscale. I am sure there are good camps in your area. If you want or need a recommendation in your state, I'd be happy to refer you.
If you are open to camps in Upstate NY or PA - I have a plethora of referrals.

We had many campers from FL and GA. Coming north is a great way to beat the heat

Most camp nurses are mothers of campers, who are dedicated to their profession, but also want to spend the summer with their children, in beautiful surroundings, typically near mountains and a lake and enjoy a good salary along with free tuition for their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 02:42 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,226 times
I'm sorry, OP. The policy was vague before camp. I cannot imagine reading what you quoted here and think that a counselor would be responsible. I have ALWAYS asked how the medication procedure works. ALWAYS. Even when I have the printed policy in front of me. And if it was important (more than a seasonal allergy, for example), I wouldn't hesitate to pull my child from a program if I weren't sure I was comfortable with the process. I would also know how many children there were to a counselor. Because if they said, "Oh, sure, we'll remind him," but had 25 kids to wrangle, I would doubt the ability to take care of it at such a level you are (perhaps reasonably and rightfully) demanding.

But he is going to have to figure out how to manage this. He will have to eventually remember to seek out his meds. It will have to become his responsibility.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:17 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
I spoke to the head guy this morning. He was quite contrite and very nice. He understood my point of view and agreed that the policy was not communicated well. I shared with him my concerns regarding leaving the burden on the child as opposed to camp staff ensuring that meds are given to children as specified by the parent. He said that there is one week of camp left and then they will meet to discuss the policy for next year.

That's really all I wanted. Some admission that there was a screwup (regarding the counselor's exit and no one looking out for the kids in his group for the remainder of the week) and a lack of clarity and communication regarding the policy. I am satisfied with the resolution and will chalk it up as lesson learned and move onward and upward. And I will certainly ask more questions next time.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:18 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
I'm sorry, OP. The policy was vague before camp. I cannot imagine reading what you quoted here and think that a counselor would be responsible. I have ALWAYS asked how the medication procedure works. ALWAYS. Even when I have the printed policy in front of me. And if it was important (more than a seasonal allergy, for example), I wouldn't hesitate to pull my child from a program if I weren't sure I was comfortable with the process. I would also know how many children there were to a counselor. Because if they said, "Oh, sure, we'll remind him," but had 25 kids to wrangle, I would doubt the ability to take care of it at such a level you are (perhaps reasonably and rightfully) demanding.

But he is going to have to figure out how to manage this. He will have to eventually remember to seek out his meds. It will have to become his responsibility.
Sure...but obviously depending on the age. I would fear that the huge change in daily routine would be enough to throw kids off. For example, as a full-fledged adult who's had to take daily medication for some years, I can get forgetful when on vacation from getting up at a different time, eating meals at different times, being on the run all day and maybe even having a different bedtime.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:22 AM

407 posts, read 370,246 times
Quote:
I spoke to the head guy this morning. He was quite contrite and very nice. He understood my point of view and agreed that the policy was not communicated well. I shared with him my concerns regarding leaving the burden on the child as opposed to camp staff ensuring that meds are given to children as specified by the parent. He said that there is one week of camp left and then they will meet to discuss the policy for next year.

That's really all I wanted. Some admission that there was a screwup (regarding the counselor's exit and no one looking out for the kids in his group for the remainder of the week) and a lack of clarity and communication regarding the policy. I am satisfied with the resolution and will chalk it up as lesson learned and move onward and upward. And I will certainly ask more questions next time.
Did he have anything to say about the fact that the first counselor brought your son his meds for the days he was there but the other didn't? Which counselor was "right" in their eyes?

Old 07-18-2017, 08:39 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
Did he have anything to say about the fact that the first counselor brought your son his meds for the days he was there but the other didn't? Which counselor was "right" in their eyes?
They were pretty cagey (I talked to two different people) about what happened to the first guy. I suspect he may have been asked to leave. They acknowledged there was some kind of communication breakdown within the staff, but didn't seem to want to get into details and I didn't push it. I'm pretty sure someone will get a reprimand of some sort.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:42 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sure...but obviously depending on the age. I would fear that the huge change in daily routine would be enough to throw kids off. For example, as a full-fledged adult who's had to take daily medication for some years, I can get forgetful when on vacation from getting up at a different time, eating meals at different times, being on the run all day and maybe even having a different bedtime.
I forget my meds when I am on vacation sometimes too. Last week my whole day was off and I had to get up super early and get a bunch done. Then I had time for a nap and got 90 minutes of deep sleep. I woke up quite groggy and started my morning routine again...yep, I took my meds twice that day. Luckily there was not any fall out...but even grown ups forget. I think its unreasonable to expect children to remember. I also think its the job of a parent to be in charge of medications

Old 07-18-2017, 10:21 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
I am satisfied with the resolution and will chalk it up as lesson learned and move onward and upward. And I will certainly ask more questions next time.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:53 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But that's when I as the parent have to understand the policy and my child's ability to manage the situation. If I read that policy & didn't think my kid could handle it, it's the wrong place for my kid.

OP, I'm glad you got the resolution you wanted. I hope they clarify everything in the future.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:15 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
We've never done anything but Scout camp, so I can't speak to other sorts of camps, but in my experience, med distribution is spotty. Some camps are great while others not so much. Our strategy has always been to ensure that, if possible, a kid who needs to go to the med tent is buddied up with another Scout who needs meds at the same time. As a back up, we arrange for an on-site Scoutmaster with our troop to watch the clock and issue a reminder...or two...or three...if the kids forget. We did not ever solely depend on the camp medical staff to seek our kids out if they didn't show up for a dosage. The staff has more than enough to do without chasing forgetful kids all over the place.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-20-2017 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting