U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 11:13 AM

517 posts, read 224,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
My parents were each one of 10, dad had 3 full and 6 half siblings. For generations 2 and 3 (counting from grandparents) the fertility rate has fallen off a cliff. Several aunts or uncles have far fewer grand children than children (one aunt had 5 children and only 1 grandchildren). On mom's side I'd guess the fertility rate is now below 1 child per woman. I am one of 5 and we combine for only 3 children. But my wife's family still has couples with 2 or 3 kids each.
Fertility and the number of children people have aren't necessarily related anymore.

My maternal grandparents were only children of parents with a TON of siblings. They had three children only because my grandpa was a dick and put holes in his own condom, hoping to get a son this time. (Nope! Another girl. lol) We're all very fertile and joke that we can get pregnant if our toothbrushes mingle. I have MANY siblings. My mom is considered a freak for having so many.

But, birth control. Condoms. Vasectomies. None of my cousins want children. A few of us have children but not many... less than a third. And we're having a max of 3.

My dad's side has freakish numbers. He's one of 6. His father was the oldest of 16. His mother was the oldest of 3 but her parents were one of a dozen+ each. And just like that, onward and upward in the family tree. Not one of his siblings has more than 3. Vasectomies and tubals for them all.

Babies are cheap. Kids are expensive. The world is bigger, families move away from extended family members more often, "basics" are more in number and more expensive, expectations are higher, and overall, there is less support for helping each other out in different things that cost a lot of money when you have to pay a professional to do them instead.

So, regardless of fertility, the trend in my family is to get it out of the way and stop or to not have any at all. Except for my parents, of course, who are both the oldest children of oldest children. Having a million-child family gets them a lot of attention. Their children (us) don't like it. We have our kids, then shut down the baby-making. Or don't have any at all. Childcare is expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 04:59 PM

20,608 posts, read 35,411,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.R.I.O.N View Post
My father was 1 of 3,my mother 1 of 4. My mother had 5. Her 5 kids are in order
Older brother- 5 kids
Older sister- 1 kid
Me-5 kids with 5th due in November
Younger brother-3 kids
Younger sister-2 kids.

Everywhere I look where I live I see YOUNG mostly working class families with at least 3 and 4 kids...its beautiful. People get so shocked when we tell them we are pregnant with #5. Happened yesterday in Motherhood Maternity...like its some bad thing to have a large family.
It depends on what state and city you're located in. Nationally, the fertility rate is falling dramatically, far fewer people are having a large number of kids. It is VERY expensive to have kids in most areas of the US, and wages, healthcare, housing, education take up a large chunk of disposable income. I know very few people that have kids, and most of my extended family have no more than three kids.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:04 PM

16,701 posts, read 3,669,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
My parents were each one of 10, dad had 3 full and 6 half siblings. For generations 2 and 3 (counting from grandparents) the fertility rate has fallen off a cliff. Several aunts or uncles have far fewer grand children than children (one aunt had 5 children and only 1 grandchildren). On mom's side I'd guess the fertility rate is now below 1 child per woman. I am one of 5 and we combine for only 3 children. But my wife's family still has couples with 2 or 3 kids each.
my parents each had two siblings.My moms siblings did not have any kids of their own.My dad's siblings each have 3 kids. One cousin has 3 children.Another just had her first baby.3 cousins have 2 kids a piece.My sibling never wants kids.Me and one of my cousins have not gotten married yet.I want a full quiver after im married.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:58 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,475,713 times
depends on who you ask, but the vast majority of my family keep it between 2-5, with some a little higher. Then their's my aunt she has 9 children, and most of her daughters are keeping the tradition alive. Every Christmas there's at least 2-3 new kids. I had a hard enough time growing up keeping my cousins names straight, but I think we need to adapt a name tag policy for them, especially for the sake of my grand parents who are in their 80s

Old 04-01-2019, 06:00 PM
Status: "Life is a one-time offer: use it wel" (set 2 days ago)

7,146 posts, read 15,071,054 times
Ever-decreasing. My father had 5 siblings. All of those siblings had between 1 and 6 kids. Of those 18 kids (of which I am the youngest), there are only two who had more than 3 kids, most had 1-2 kids and 4 had none. Of all these kids (who are now in their mid-20s-40s), only about half are married/in long-term relationships and only 2 (I think) have kids of their own.

Most people in my family are college graduates (especially as you move in to my generation and younger) and almost all of them are in professional or technical careers, male and female.
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 04-01-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
my parents each had two siblings.My moms siblings did not have any kids of their own.My dad's siblings each have 3 kids. One cousin has 3 children.Another just had her first baby.3 cousins have 2 kids a piece.My sibling never wants kids.Me and one of my cousins have not gotten married yet.I want a full quiver after im married.
Quiverfull is Dugger family, that whole klan is very strange and off-putting to most people. It makes LDS religion seem mainstream by comparison.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Quiverfull is Dugger family, that whole klan is very strange and off-putting to most people. It makes LDS religion seem mainstream by comparison.
okay.fair enough.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
okay.fair enough.
Well, they made it very easy for people to have opinions of them without trying, therefore putting a spotlight on "Quiverfull..."

Old 04-01-2019, 09:02 PM

1,023 posts, read 485,080 times
I have six, but come from a family of two kids.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Well, they made it very easy for people to have opinions of them without trying, therefore putting a spotlight on "Quiverfull..."
true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or