U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 05:32 PM

9,698 posts, read 20,810,890 times

Advertisements

My parents were each one of 10, dad had 3 full and 6 half siblings. For generations 2 and 3 (counting from grandparents) the fertility rate has fallen off a cliff. Several aunts or uncles have far fewer grand children than children (one aunt had 5 children and only 1 grandchildren). On mom's side I'd guess the fertility rate is now below 1 child per woman. I am one of 5 and we combine for only 3 children. But my wife's family still has couples with 2 or 3 kids each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 05:45 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,339,319 times
It seems my family and dh's family has had strong fertility without issues. I know my sister-in-law had one miscarriage, and my mother-in-law had one, but otherwise no miscarriages on either side of the family and no fertility treatments. Granted, I might not know all, but I'm really pretty confident about those things for my siblings' families, both our parents, and my husband's siblings' families. Don't know about grandparents. I do know that my mom had 5 kids (so did dh's mom) and 3 of my mom's 5 kids were conceived while she was using birth control (a different type of bc each time). I got pregnant each time without trying at all. My sister had some difficulty getting pregnant with #2, but only in that it took a little longer than she wanted. #3 came for her right when she wanted.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:56 PM

2,355 posts, read 1,300,049 times
You can look it up but our fertility rate is falling off a cliff. There are many reasons for it and even more consequences. It really isn't a good thing either. This will be a driving force behind much of our upcoming economic and even social problems as we have transitioned to a service based economy that demands a heft growth rate to support our current habits. No population growth leads to very minimal or negative economic growth. That filters through to so many things in a bad way that it is clearly not a good thing.

In addition to that, should a recession come, it is much harder to naturally come out of it when things are just barely chugging a long and you start losing more people than you're gaining on the bottom end.

Deflation is one of the worst problems an economy can have. Lack of demand does one thing really well, deflate.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:13 PM

24,764 posts, read 29,453,407 times
Basically everyone has 2-3 kids.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:13 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,031,223 times
Maternal Grandparents:
7 children
4 grandchildren (only 2 of the 7 had kids)
6 great grandchildren

Paternal Grandparents:
3 children
7 grandchildren
11 great grandchildren

It always cracks me up since it is so backwards.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:23 PM

10,135 posts, read 6,790,885 times
My family is pretty boring but I know a family that is pretty funny

2 "only children" (through fertility problems, not choice) marries
has 3 kids
then 16 grand kids
almost all the grandkids are adults and in marrying/child bearing age and only one or two wants children at all.

I am sure by the end of the day, they will have several great grandkids...simple math. But its funny how that worked out. And there was no cultural or religious reason to it.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:13 AM

3,268 posts, read 2,291,976 times
People definitely have less kids today than they did in those days for many reasons.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:43 AM

16,313 posts, read 13,652,572 times
My parents were both the oldest of three. I am the only of my parents, but I have three half siblings tho one was a surprise. I also have an only, I don't think two of my siblings will have any kids. My daughter wishes to continue the only child tradition.

Of my 4 aunts and uncles; two have two kids, one has one the last has none. No one has had fertility issues, just less interest in a big family.

As for the economy of a declining growth rate, it can easily be offset by immigration, but that won't happen here.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:09 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,037,367 times
My husband and I have 2 kids.

My husband is one of 2 kids. His sister also has 2 kids. His mom is one of 2 kids. His dad is an only child. His uncle has 0 kids.

I am one of 4 sibs, BUT I'm the only biological child and the others are adopted. Not sure how that counts in terms of "fertility rate". My sibs are not old enough to judge yet how many kids they'll have. My mom and dad are each one of 3 kids. My step-mom and step-dad are one of 2 and 4, respectively. My mom's sisters each have 2 kids, and of those 4 they have 2, 0, 0, and 1 kid. My dad's sister has 0 kids and his brother has 4, and none of them have kids (yet). For my grandparents, their sibling sizes are 2, 3, 2, and 9.

So the only one with substantially more siblings was my maternal grandfather, with 9 in his family.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:22 PM

11,884 posts, read 7,076,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
So the only one with substantially more siblings was my maternal grandfather, with 9 in his family.
That is pretty much how my family is too. My paternal grandmother who was one of 8. Everyone else has either 2 or 3 children, except for those who are younger and haven't started a family yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or