Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 12:40 PM

382 posts, read 825,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
OP, my husband is the same as yours. His Evil Sister hates him and she hates me and my children by association. She is purposely mean, nasty, and hurtful to me and my children. It's awful too. Very emotionally hurtful.

She's given me the finger twice, was holding a door at a restaurant for everyone else and wanted to let go of the door when she saw me approaching it (I'm surprised she didn't), called my son a monster, and has done and said many other very hurtful things.

I have told Husband that I don't want to be near her, but he wants to be with his family and just tells me to ignore her when I see her. I grudgingly go with him.

Husband just ignores everything she does to me and my children. His personality is not one where he calls anyone out, not even his own Evil Sister. His mom (my MIL) has the same personality. MIL never calls out Evil Sister at all. She just ignores everything Evil Sister says and does. Their personality is just too polite. It's not in their DNA.

But after Evil Sister called my son a monster, I couldn't take it anymore and called her out and berated her. After that, MIL refuses to allow us to be in the same place again. No one likes confrontation or friction.

Anyway, I suspect your FIL and MIL spoils the other grandchildren because they feel they need more help financially than you do, hence the bike vs. a puzzle. I suspect they know you're a doctor, have a higher lifestyle, so they don't need to help you. Even if this were true, it is a terrible way to treat children. Your FIL and MIL suck and have no heart and no compassion for you. They should realize that treating certain people better and treating you worse is very hurtful. They suck.
I'm sorry you are going through that This kind of behavior usually stems from insecurity on the part of those dishing it out, but it is still awful and hurtful nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 02:01 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divakat View Post
My son was excited about being MVP so he told his grandparents. Their comment about Ethan was made after that (when at least my son was out of earshot) but when he told them they didn't even congratulate him.
This is just absolutely despicable but I really think you can keep it from doing any real damage to your children. You have to stop getting so heated about it though. I know that's near impossible because it's someone messing with your kids. But teach them she's crazy and they will at least grow up knowing it's this woman's problem and nothing to do with them. My friend had a MIL who would do things like this. She gave her a beautiful framed picture of her children, not even for a holiday just as a gift. The MIL took the picture of my friend's children out and replaced it with a picture of her other grandchildren and displayed it in the living room. There's just no "winning" with a person like this. But her children are well adjusted, confident and love their other grandparents like crazy!

Old 07-21-2017, 02:19 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
Am I the only one sensing glaring red flags coming from the OP?

Old 07-21-2017, 02:44 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
I hate to say this, but you're going to have to learn to live with it. You're never going to change them. You shouldn't even bring this up to them. If anyone does, it should be your husband. He may not see it because he's so used to it. He also may not want to rock the boat.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
This is just absolutely despicable but I really think you can keep it from doing any real damage to your children. You have to stop getting so heated about it though. I know that's near impossible because it's someone messing with your kids. But teach them she's crazy and they will at least grow up knowing it's this woman's problem and nothing to do with them. My friend had a MIL who would do things like this. She gave her a beautiful framed picture of her children, not even for a holiday just as a gift. The MIL took the picture of my friend's children out and replaced it with a picture of her other grandchildren and displayed it in the living room. There's just no "winning" with a person like this. But her children are well adjusted, confident and love their other grandparents like crazy!
So ironic, but my MIL did a very similar thing! Except in our case she replaced my kids' photo with a photo of their dead cat...of his alive days of course��

Old 07-21-2017, 03:02 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divakat View Post
So ironic, but my MIL did a very similar thing! Except in our case she replaced my kids' photo with a photo of their dead cat...of his alive days of course��
Oh my! I have a friend whose MIL has a family pic on the fridge, and the MIL puts the magnet over my friend's face!! So my friend will move the magnet secretly while she's there, to someone's chest or something, and next time she visits the magnet will be back over her face! So funny. My friend really doesn't feel like she has a bad relationship with her MIL, but I guess so!

Old 07-21-2017, 03:42 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
OP, what are your feelings for your husband at this point? Do you WANT to stay married to him? Is he great except for the one glaring flaw where he will not stand up for his own children? If he's autistic, have you and any of your therapists specifically laid out for him that he is damaging his relationship with his children by not sticking up for them?

Is this the hill you're willing to die on? I'm not saying it's right one way or the other - that's up to you entirely. I can see both sides.

I revere the good marriages in my life. But I see no point in staying in a bad one for the sake of the children - mostly that's just going to cause them damage. Kids should see healthy relationships. If you DO want to stay in the marriage, then you need to let your husband know that this is the sticking point for staying in the marriage - your children must not be exposed to his toxic parents and left unprotected in their presence. If he can't agree, that may be when you tell him "ok, see ya" and walk with the kids. It won't be that simple, but if you need fodder, film or record some of the grandparents interactions with the children.

And make sure you debrief your kids after every encounter. "What Grandma said wasn't very nice. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Can you think of something she could have said that would have been nicer?" or something to that effect. Use that crap as a teachable moment.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
OP, what are your feelings for your husband at this point? Do you WANT to stay married to him? Is he great except for the one glaring flaw where he will not stand up for his own children? If he's autistic, have you and any of your therapists specifically laid out for him that he is damaging his relationship with his children by not sticking up for them?

Is this the hill you're willing to die on? I'm not saying it's right one way or the other - that's up to you entirely. I can see both sides.

I revere the good marriages in my life. But I see no point in staying in a bad one for the sake of the children - mostly that's just going to cause them damage. Kids should see healthy relationships. If you DO want to stay in the marriage, then you need to let your husband know that this is the sticking point for staying in the marriage - your children must not be exposed to his toxic parents and left unprotected in their presence. If he can't agree, that may be when you tell him "ok, see ya" and walk with the kids. It won't be that simple, but if you need fodder, film or record some of the grandparents interactions with the children.

And make sure you debrief your kids after every encounter. "What Grandma said wasn't very nice. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Can you think of something she could have said that would have been nicer?" or something to that effect. Use that crap as a teachable moment.
Yes, I've been trying to pretend they are normal to the kids but Now that the kids are getting older I think that they need to hear that this behavior isn't normal, so they don't internalize it and let it affect their self esteem.

I have come to a realization that it's probably time to go and I hope that I'm making the right decision. I think it's best for the kids to have at least one mentally stable adult, and his and his family's behavior is affecting my own life and well being. The kids are affected either way but at least in one case they get a break from it. That said, he'd probably end up going to his parents every chance he got once I'm gone. I've only spent like a few days apart from the kids where he was left with the kids alone, and every single time he asked his mom to stay over with him and help.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:08 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
You will never change the in-laws. You have to accept that. Even if your husband did talk to them, they will be the same, or maybe worse.

MY mother's father, my grandpa, was very much like your MIL. My mom was his work slave all her childhood, sleeping on the couch at night, never had a bed, so she could keep the fire going to keep the house warm. He finally bought a heater for the house a few weeks after my mom got married. She was the work horse for the family, well her and her mother who passed away when I was five, so I do not remember her. She took care of milking to cow and goats, collecting the eggs, feeding everything, helping with all the cooking and canning and bread making and cleaning and clothes washing and sewing the family's clothes...plus washing her dad's car.

Both her older and younger sister had a room with a bed. Her older sister was wicked mean..to my mom, to my siblings and I. She got married at 13 years old, divorced at 14, married at 15, baby at 16, divorced at 17, married at 18, baby at 19, baby at 20. She kept marrying sailor boys she found in Long Beach, going to AZ to get married, all in the early 1950s, definitely not a good thing to do then...but she was wicked, and her dad would let her do what she wanted, even to her detriment. The sailor she married at 18 was a good man, eventually adopted her first son and got her into shape. He said his family would not accept divorce, so she was going to grow up, cook, clean and raise those kids...and he made sure she did. Before that husband came around she lived with her mom and dad when her sailor boys went out to sea. ...which was most of the time. MY mom had to wash their clothes, etc. LOTS of diapers! That last sailor ended his service time, was an auto mechanic and got their own place for them. Made her grow up.

So my mom was still sleeping on the couch, and her sister got a house built for her to live in in the middle of the property. My mom still did not get a bed or room, as she still was the fire tender. Never in her life at her parents house. She became the fire tender at age 4 when her mom was pregnant with child 3. Mom never slept in a bed until she got married.

Her younger sister was spoiled rotten. Never had chores and even as an adult rubbed that in to my mom.

My mom went to college, paying her own way, working at a store, washing jars and helping elderly neighbors can food, anything she could do to get money. And she paid more for the rent to her dad to stay on her couch as she earned more. And she still had chores to do.

Yet her sister and kids paid nothing for the house, even eating with her parents every meal with kids. Her sailor's money was her fun money.

Mom married my dad, got a teaching credential, eventually even a masters in education. Worked as a teacher all my childhood until she retired.

Now, my grandpa was wicked mean to me and my siblings, and parents. At Christmas or whenever we went to his house, my mom's older sister and kids got lots of stuff. We got nothing or very little, one coloring book for the 3 of us to share with 8 crayons. MY step grandma would apologize and say that grandpa would not let her buy us anything else.

The older sister's husband actually made more money than my dad, and their household income, with his overtime was pretty much the same as both of my parents. I learned that as an adult. BUT my parents managed their money much better.

So much for background...This is what my parents did to help my brothers and I cope:

1. When we went to grandpa's house for events like group birthdays or Christmas or Thanksgiving my parents would bring us a 'special toy' (that my wicked cousins could not break easily) that 'would let us have something to do'. They would say those words so that everyone knew it was for us to be occupied. And generally it was a group type of a toy like a wagon we could play with on the sidewalk and that also gave my dad time out from the clan to watch us. And generally it was a very nice toy. That way we did not really care what the cousins got. Depending on the weather there might also be a new game we wanted, then dad played with us so the destructive cousins could not play and wreck it on purpose. And when WE were done or taking a break from the toy like at dinner, the toy went in our locked car trunk

2. We were told that grandpa liked to give the other families things because they did not manage their money as well as us and he thought that they would not have these things if he did not buy the things for them. Grandpa knows that mom and dad work hard to earn money to buy us stuff and that we take care of our toys so they do not need to be replaced so we would always have enough toys with out grandpa buying us stuff. And as we got older we noticed how many of their new toys were trashed by the end on just one day

3. As we got older grandpa tried to make us into the household slaves---every time we came over. Mom and dad would do things like end dinner with, how about all the men clear the table and do the dishes tonight and give the women who cooked a break. Hard for the men--uncles who were not blood to say no, and they were all decent enough to see what was going on.

4. MY uncle that married my mom's older sister last, the good one who stuck around, saw what was going on in the family and often would bring my brothers and I a small thing like a candy bar or certs package or life savers package and give it to us with a comment like, thanks for setting the table and helping with dinner, raking the leaves, cleaning up the goat mess (yes it was saved for us on Christmas), etc., you are good kids. His nice words were always appreciated! My parents always let him know that, so he continued. And he often would volunteer to held us and tell us to play on the rope swing when he did the jobs with my dad Funny the things you remember from your childhood!

5. We learned to not share events in our lives with that grandpa, only with the step grandma, who was very nice.

Hoping maybe some of these things would help with your kids.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:04 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Stop going over and let your husband take them himself. Tell the kids you are staying home because you don't like the way they treat you or them. Going along with it only make you an accomplice, actually. Pretty soon your kids won't go either.

Don't expect the parents to change. They are doing this on purpose and with no conscience. Protect your kids by demonstrating that they don't have to accept poor treatment from ANYONE.

Your husband has problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting