U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 07:16 AM
NCN

21,137 posts, read 20,840,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know these are coming back into favor, for reasons of expense and ecology. My DIL is considering using them, but we don't know much about the options.

I do not have any fond memories of cloth diapering my babies and then dragging the diapers to the laundromat to wash. The invention of Pampers was a gift from heaven, when I was a young mother.

Anyway, for those of you who have used the cloth diapering system for a baby or two, what does someone need to know?
It takes about 15 diapers a day. You need to have rubber pants to make sure the liquid doesn't smell up the house. Vinegar will neutralize the smell. My two children were allergic to disposable diapers. My opinion is a person would have to be nuts to use cloth if they didn't have to. Disposables are so much more sanitary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 08:00 AM

1,254 posts, read 434,332 times
We used cloth diapers when my kids were born back in the 1970s. We did use the new disposables when traveling long distances for vacation, though, which was infrequent. I preferred the cloth, but I can see why many childcare facilities specify the pampers.

It's possible that I may be nuts, but I would use the cloth diapers again over the disposables, given a choice. :-)

Added: I did have both a washer and dryer at the time we used the cloth diapers. I may have had a different opinion if I had had to schlepp diapers to a laudromat.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:18 AM

33,550 posts, read 41,742,461 times
I've messaged with a relative whose baby is 9 months now, and she is still happy with her decision to use cloth. Her son has never had a diaper rash, and they take a waterproof bag along when they are out and about.

She says that thy have a special squirt thing on the toilet to rinse off the soil, that the liners need to be washed every 48 hours, that they require a rinse/bleach cycle followed by a wash cycle, followed by another rinse. This seems very time consuming, but I guess if you are in a routine, it could work.

In both this girl's case and my DIL, they have flexible schedules. In other words, they have the luxury of being able to spend hours every other day washing diapers. I can't see it being practical for a full time working mother.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:21 AM

35,121 posts, read 36,959,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
She needs to get a diaper service. We had one child with disposables, another with cloth. (I'm embarrassed to think that I polluted the environment with those disposables). There's nothing to know, really....it's easy, about the same price as disposables, and convenient. The diaper company even gives you a travel pack with a deodorizer if you want to use cloth while away from home.

I cannot imagine her washing them on her own, though.
Why? Diapers are laundry and myself and many millions of women and men have washing cloth diapers for thousands of years.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:28 AM

8,530 posts, read 4,611,632 times
My best advice is to order a sample pack from a cloth diaper seller; there are a lot of different fibers and styles to choose from, and it may take some trial and error to find the right system. When I first started cloth diapering, pocket diapers and micro fibers were first becoming popular, but I hated them: they weren't all that absorbent and I could never get the stink out of them. So, I stuck with natural fibers (cotton, hemp, bamboo) with a separate waterproof cover (usually merino wool, but I kept a couple of PUL covers in the rotation for specific situations).

One-size diapers. Sounds great in theory, not so much in practice. The fit was always weird on my babies and they were not as good as sized diapers.

Rashes. In my experience, rashes were almost invariably due to laundry detergent. Too much, too little, or just the wrong kind. Some brands (ironically, the diaper-friendly brands) didn't get them clean enough, but the enzymes in most conventional brands caused rashes. Cheap, enzyme-free detergents worked the best.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:37 AM

15,358 posts, read 12,854,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Thank you all.
To review:
Many or all disposables are biodegradable.
A cloth diaper service is about the same cost as disposables.
Washing your own diapers results in cost savings and zero impact on the environment.
Disposable diapers are NOT biodegradable. They have plastic in them, even if it physically breaks down into small pieces that is not biodegrading. Instead it just makes massive amounts of micro plastics which are become a huge concern. And that is just the plastic, the stuff that actually absorbs liquid, is typically sodium acrylate which has its own issues.

If you want to use disposable diapers go ahead but pretending they are biodegradeable is just plain not true. And in fact a large amount of research is being done to try to address the scope of this problem.

https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/...ine_debris.pdf
Disposable diapers biodegradation by the fungus Pleurotus ostreatus - ScienceDirect
Treatment of the biodegradable fraction of used disposable diapers by co-digestion with waste activated sludge - ScienceDirect

Old 07-23-2017, 09:20 AM

614 posts, read 419,981 times
We used modern AIO cloth diapers and while I do not think the environmental impact was necessarily huge with my usage the fact that they were able to be passed along and along and along increased their "greenness.". It has been ten years since I made the initial investment of something like $300 and I know families in my community that are STILL USING my diapers. So that $300 saved something like 7-10 kids worth of disposables from hitting the landfill. That is where the environmental savings comes into play.

The drama of washing them turned out to be a nonissue. We never had leaks from cloth and in watching my friends use disposables is became obvious that the disposable leaks and blowouts at that newborn phase caused as much clothes laundry as we were generating in diaper laundry, so it was a non-deal.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:33 AM

8,530 posts, read 4,611,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
We used modern AIO cloth diapers and while I do not think the environmental impact was necessarily huge with my usage the fact that they were able to be passed along and along and along increased their "greenness.". It has been ten years since I made the initial investment of something like $300 and I know families in my community that are STILL USING my diapers. So that $300 saved something like 7-10 kids worth of disposables from hitting the landfill. That is where the environmental savings comes into play.
Yeah, I can't complain about the initial investment. I probably laid out about $500 over the course of the first year, and resold everything after the third baby for around $400. But I bought good quality with high resale value. I checked out some of the cheaper ones that were coming out when my youngest was born, and there is just no way they are good enough quality to last through several children.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:52 AM

3,918 posts, read 5,045,476 times
I haven't read all out the comments, but I cloth diapered for a little over 2 years. When my 3rd child came along (my other two were only 1 and 2 and still in diapers) I switched to disposables because keeping up with cloth for two was already overwhelming.

For the first little bit, with my first, I used a diaper service which was amazing. It was expensive though, so we could only afford to have the prefolds washed not the outer diapers (I had every brand of outer diaper imaginable- Flipz, City Baby, Thirsties, Charlie Banana, etc).

Eventually, once my second child arrived, diaper service became cost prohibitive so it was all down to me.

The best thing about cloth was that neither of my boys ever had diaper rash, and it felt good knowing that I wasn't sending tonnes of diapers to the landfill.

The cons were the fact that they do need to be changed more often than disposables in my experience, and the amount of washing got tiresome, especially as my laundry is in the basement- with a steep narrow stairwell. Lugging a heavy wet pail of soiled diapers down there daily got old, quick.

Without using diaper service though, it is a lot cheaper than continually buying disposables, especially if you are able to inherit cloth diapers from somebody else or buy them second hand for cheap.

I bought most of my new ones off Amazon but I was also given a lot by others, and bought others from BST websites. I never really saw a huge difference between the 'china cheapies' and higher end brands.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do! ♡

Old 07-23-2017, 09:56 AM

3,918 posts, read 5,045,476 times
P.S I used Tide for the diapers for detergent. If you are on facebook there are a lot of Cloth Diapering groups where you can ask for advice as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting