U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 11:54 AM

6,393 posts, read 2,459,437 times

Advertisements

I was one of those gung-ho mothers that wasn't going to use disposable diapers. I had a diaper service and then washed them myself before giving up. The problem is if you don't have a plastic pant over the diaper the minute the baby pees all their bedding and clothes get wet and if you use plastic pants over the diaper, the wetness stays close to their skin which can lead to diaper rash. You aren't always in a position to change your baby the minute it pees. I gave up after a few months.

However I could see how using cloth would help a toddler potty train quicker because they will feel that wetness which they don't in a disposable diaper or those pull-ups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 12:02 PM

14,056 posts, read 11,560,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I was one of those gung-ho mothers that wasn't going to use disposable diapers. I had a diaper service and then washed them myself before giving up. The problem is if you don't have a plastic pant over the diaper the minute the baby pees all their bedding and clothes get wet and if you use plastic pants over the diaper, the wetness stays close to their skin which can lead to diaper rash. You aren't always in a position to change your baby the minute it pees. I gave up after a few months.

However I could see how using cloth would help a toddler potty train quicker because they will feel that wetness which they don't in a disposable diaper or those pull-ups.
They do have newer diaper covers made out of more modern materials that are breathable, especially compared to rubber pants.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:12 PM

18,514 posts, read 21,407,368 times
Cloth diapers hold and control more waste, if you happen to have a "productive" child. Cloth diapers cause much less of a diaper rash problem.

The pre-folded cotton diapers are the best, in my opinion. If they even still make traditional fold-your-own diapers any more.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:20 PM

1,634 posts, read 495,692 times
I used them for two of my four, have just a small tip to add:
instead of a diaper pail, I would toss them right into the (filled with water and soap) washer as I used them (having removed any stool w/TP and flushed it) through the day and at night, turn the washer on and wash the day's batch. I found it pretty easy to use them but did use disposables for outings.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:21 PM

11,498 posts, read 11,478,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
For the first little bit, with my first, I used a diaper service which was amazing. It was expensive though, so we could only afford to have the prefolds washed not the outer diapers
Interesting. The cost of the diaper service we used was about the same as buying disposables at the market....actually, a little less. Nothing was folded back then (1980s), though--so maybe that was why it was less costly.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:54 PM

3,268 posts, read 1,846,490 times
Admittedly i never tried cloth diapers. I recall my mom using them with my brother and they seemed like a PITA. It's good to hear that they are biodegradable.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:10 PM

6,393 posts, read 2,459,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Cloth diapers hold and control more waste, if you happen to have a "productive" child. Cloth diapers cause much less of a diaper rash problem.

The pre-folded cotton diapers are the best, in my opinion. If they even still make traditional fold-your-own diapers any more.
How do you figure that when the disposable have an inner core that keeps the wetness away from baby's skin? I found when using cloth that as soon as my baby peed, almost the whole diaper would be wet and you needed to change much more often where with a disposable you don't have to put a new one with the first urine.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:14 PM

20,342 posts, read 20,367,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I've messaged with a relative whose baby is 9 months now, and she is still happy with her decision to use cloth. Her son has never had a diaper rash, and they take a waterproof bag along when they are out and about.

She says that thy have a special squirt thing on the toilet to rinse off the soil, that the liners need to be washed every 48 hours, that they require a rinse/bleach cycle followed by a wash cycle, followed by another rinse. This seems very time consuming, but I guess if you are in a routine, it could work.

In both this girl's case and my DIL, they have flexible schedules. In other words, they have the luxury of being able to spend hours every other day washing diapers. I can't see it being practical for a full time working mother.

"Hours every other day"? She's tossing them in the washer and dryer not schlepping them down to the river to beat them on a rock.

A full time, working mom is generally using daycare which usually require disposables.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:30 PM

30,571 posts, read 38,167,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Disposable diapers are NOT biodegradable. They have plastic in them, even if it physically breaks down into small pieces that is not biodegrading. Instead it just makes massive amounts of micro plastics which are become a huge concern. And that is just the plastic, the stuff that actually absorbs liquid, is typically sodium acrylate which has its own issues.

If you want to use disposable diapers go ahead but pretending they are biodegradeable is just plain not true. And in fact a large amount of research is being done to try to address the scope of this problem.

https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/...ine_debris.pdf
Disposable diapers biodegradation by the fungus Pleurotus ostreatus - ScienceDirect
Treatment of the biodegradable fraction of used disposable diapers by co-digestion with waste activated sludge - ScienceDirect
Ok, good to know.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:33 PM

30,571 posts, read 38,167,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
"Hours every other day"? She's tossing them in the washer and dryer not schlepping them down to the river to beat them on a rock.

A full time, working mom is generally using daycare which usually require disposables.
I have a new washer. I cannot program it to follow a bunch of steps. I can do the bleach soak. Then I can program the wash cycle. Then I can do the extra rinse. This causes the entire ordeal to take awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting