U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 12:40 PM

20,777 posts, read 21,277,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have a new washer. I cannot program it to follow a bunch of steps. I can do the bleach soak. Then I can program the wash cycle. Then I can do the extra rinse. This causes the entire ordeal to take awhile.
Presumably the diapers go immediately into a diaper pail with borax (or whatever) for a soak. If an extra pre-soak is needed many (if not most) newer washers will accomodate that as well as an extra rinse. Mine does, because I do it every time I do a load of whites using bleach and while it's a nice washer, it's certainly not anything particularly special. You toss stuff in and go do something else - just like every other load of laundry. It's not like you need to set aside hours to stare at the washer doing it's thing. I think your description of "hours every other day" is a bit on the dramatic side. It's laundry, and it's a part of life and will continue to be. A few extra loads a week isn't the huge burden you're making it out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 01:58 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,477,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
She needs to get a diaper service. We had one child with disposables, another with cloth. (I'm embarrassed to think that I polluted the environment with those disposables). There's nothing to know, really....it's easy, about the same price as disposables, and convenient. The diaper company even gives you a travel pack with a deodorizer if you want to use cloth while away from home.

I cannot imagine her washing them on her own, though.
Don't worry about using disposable diapers. Do you worry about how large you house is? How many miles per gallon you car gets? Most of the world lives in a fraction of the space we do, walks everywhere and has no access to even the most basic necessities. Don't pick one little thing to be embarrassed about. We used disposables and had no qualms about it. I remember my parents and grandparents dealing with cloth diapers and it wasn't a good memory.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:35 PM

3,627 posts, read 4,812,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Interesting. The cost of the diaper service we used was about the same as buying disposables at the market....actually, a little less. Nothing was folded back then (1980s), though--so maybe that was why it was less costly.
The Prefolds cost me about $22/week with 1 child (for diaper service) and then of course it was going to almost double with two children which is why I started doing it myself. It may be cheaper in other areas?

In comparison, a box of Pampers Disposables with Subscribe and Save Discount costs me $36/month.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:38 PM

14,805 posts, read 12,368,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
How do you figure that when the disposable have an inner core that keeps the wetness away from baby's skin? I found when using cloth that as soon as my baby peed, almost the whole diaper would be wet and you needed to change much more often where with a disposable you don't have to put a new one with the first urine.
You answered your own question. At a minimum cloth diapers mean a child is changed quickly and urine is no longer next to the skin.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:48 PM

8,365 posts, read 4,371,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
How do you figure that when the disposable have an inner core that keeps the wetness away from baby's skin? I found when using cloth that as soon as my baby peed, almost the whole diaper would be wet and you needed to change much more often where with a disposable you don't have to put a new one with the first urine.
Adding a stay-dry liner (typically made from micro fleece) solves that problem.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:53 PM

11,557 posts, read 5,964,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
You will need to keep a bucket for washing daily, and you could have some leakage. Bucket, scouring sponge, clothline in bathtub/shower. Alot of work, but no diaper bills or extra garbage. You can have velcro/ buttons sewn in.

This leads to quicker potty training, for some reason. Also , quicker response to a soiled diaper.

We started to do it, after 6 months of diaper boxes.
Faster potty training because they don't keep wetness away from baby's skin as well as disposables...they don't feel as "good" therefore baby wants to get out of them sooner! Is that a feature or a defect?

I'd think that whatever make's a newborn's mom's life easier is well worth it - there are many other ways to save the environment far more painlessly.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:57 PM

8,365 posts, read 4,371,356 times
I will say that none of kids potty trained earlier or faster than their disposable-diapered peers. Mine were all in diapers until they were between 3 and 3.5 years old.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:13 PM

90 posts, read 34,139 times
I'm noticing many of these comments are from people who cloth-diapered 10-20+ years ago... Cloth diapering has changed a lot since then. There are many more options. You no longer need to slide the rubber pants down the legs and deal with that mess. Modern cloth diaper systems also tend to fit much better than old-school rubber pants, and can be very cute and stylish.

I'm currently cloth-diapering. There are a plethora of different types of cloth diapers, and of course everyone has their own system for care. Here's what I do:

Prefolds and waterproof covers, because it seemed like the cheapest and simplest. The prefold can be folded various ways and it lays inside the waterproof cover. Place baby on top and snap it onto baby similar to a disposable diaper. After baby soils diaper, put dirty prefold into diaper pail (I use a regular plastic trash can with a washable fabric waterproof liner). The outer cover of the diaper can be reused with another clean prefold, until it gets poo on it.

I spent about $150 upfront on:
3 dozen or so newborn prefolds
6-8 newborn/size 1 diaper covers
cloth wipes
a plastic squirt bottle for water
regular plastic trash bin for a diaper pail
2 washable cloth diaper pail liners
2 wet bags for diaper bag when we are out and about

This lasted until baby hit about 4 months or 15 pounds, and then I spent another $150 or so on:
3 dozen or so larger, "toddler" size prefolds
6-8 larger size 2 diaper covers
a diaper sprayer that attaches to the toilet, for spraying poo off diapers once baby starts eating solids

*If the baby is going to be breastfed-only, then there is no need to wash poo diapers off until baby hits six months or starts eating solids. Breastfed poo is water-soluble, so poo diapers can go directly in the diaper pail without being washed first, just like pee diapers. Once baby starts solids, I highly recommend a diaper sprayer for the toilet. It's $50 *well* spent!

If your DIL doesn't want to wash diapers every day, she can always buy more. Newborns need diaper changes much more frequently than older babies - I washed diapers every other day for newborn, and every third day as baby got older. I never bothered adding water or borax to the diaper pail - too messy and heavy to deal with.

I wash diapers this way: cold rinse cycle, wash HOT with Tide Original powder, extra rinse cycle. Prefolds go in the dryer or can be line dried; the waterproof covers and pail liners will stay waterproof longer if they are line-dried. Heat breaks down the PUL.

Pros:
Cheap - I spent $300 total, which lasted through potty-training. Got everything on Amazon.
Environmentally-friendly

Cons:
Baby will need more frequent diaper changes than disposables
Baby may need larger size pants than tops, to account for extra bulk
More time-consuming than disposables

Everyone is different - your DIL will do what works best for her. But if you have any other questions I'll be happy to help.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:17 PM

3,627 posts, read 4,812,183 times
My first was born in 2013 and my second in 2014. I stopped CDing in 2015 when #3 arrived. I do agree that cloth diapers have come a long way.

I still found the prefold+ covers method to be the most economic for me, even if I didn't sustain it.

All of the different types of Cloth diapers on the market nowadays is somewhat overwhelming!

Old 07-23-2017, 04:51 PM

4,876 posts, read 5,654,289 times
I'm 73, I had 4 children. My mother bought x # of yds of birdseye cloth from Sears, she measured the size, we cut and hemmed 6 dozen diapers before my first 2nd child was born. I washed every day and hung them on the clothes line for a period of time. I didn't have a dryer. They lasted through 2 of the children and I still had some but, I started work and the youngest went to nursery and daycare and used disposables. I had cleaning clothes for several years afterwards.

It was a nightly ritual to fold diapers and put them in a diaper holder. No problem. It's a different world now though with people working, etc, etc.

One of my pet peeves though is people that leave a dirty baby diaper out in the parking lots or thrown out beside the road. Trash and I don't mean the diaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or