U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2017, 04:55 PM

33,480 posts, read 41,680,736 times

Advertisements

There is a reason why young mothers are embracing the cloth diaper movement. Young mothers are in the workforce, and they have environmental concerns. Fine and dandy. I am old and I am all about the convenience of disposables, because I had the joy of cloth diapers and no in home laundry.
Either way, it is fine.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 05:17 PM

6,708 posts, read 4,057,167 times
Some of these responses seem a bit dated. I used cloth diapers with my older three. My oldest is in middle school, so the "trend" isn't exactly new.

There are many different types of cloth diapers from All in Ones (AIO), fitteds, hybrids, inserts, etc. There are countless brands and a wide range of options as far as prints and designs. I used several different types, but preferred inserts and AIO after the newborn stage. I used fitteds during the first 6-8 weeks. I used fragrance and dye-free detergent and used a diaper sprayer for soiled diapers and used a dry pail. Some choose to pre-soak and others run a soak cycle before the wash cycle. I did the latter. I generally washed every two to three days with my stash size.

Cloth can be fairly economical, or not. It depends on the type and brand of diapers and how much is put into it. There's more expense when just starting out.

I don't know anyone who uses a diapering service, and I've been part of the "crunchy" community for 13 years, in dozens of cloth diaper groups and forums. It's not exactly an inexpensive service when the washing process is pretty straightforward. There's no need to hang dry. This isn't your (general) mother's cloth diapering days. It's not the days of safety pins and burp rags (prefolds) for cloth diapers, though prefolds are a suitable and economical choice. They just aren't the only choice.

https://www.cottonbabies.com/collect...iaper-packages

https://www.mamanatural.com/cloth-diapering/

Old 07-23-2017, 05:25 PM

6,708 posts, read 4,057,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
"Hours every other day"? She's tossing them in the washer and dryer not schlepping them down to the river to beat them on a rock.

A full time, working mom is generally using daycare which usually require disposables.
*snort*

Old 07-23-2017, 05:30 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,520,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
You will need to keep a bucket for washing daily, and you could have some leakage. Bucket, scouring sponge, clothline in bathtub/shower
Attached Thumbnails
Can we talk about cloth diapers?-sick-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon  

Old 07-23-2017, 06:40 PM

635 posts, read 1,682,155 times
I used cloth for all 6 kids. When I had triplets they were in disposable for a month till the cloth diapers fit them better. Washing was never a problem I just dumped them in the washer and did a long hot water wash. Dirty ones were rinsed in the toilet and I didn't add water to the diaper pail. I used those rectangle shaped "pre folded" diapers with a thick multi layer center and plastic pants over the diaper. I saved a TON of money not buying disposables.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:16 PM

13,328 posts, read 13,123,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
There is a reason why young mothers are embracing the cloth diaper movement. Young mothers are in the workforce, and they have environmental concerns.
Ahem. Older mothers (now) were also in the workforce when we were younger mothers. It would have been very difficult to be unaware of the fact that cloth diapers were much less damaging to the environment than disposables were, even way back when.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:28 PM

187 posts, read 174,250 times
My son is now 14, but he was cloth diapered. I had a variety - fitteds, all in ones and prefolds. I'd use the all in ones while out and about (put in a sealed plastic bag to bring home) but strongly preferred prefolds with a cover at home. I never ever used a wet pail (nor did I know anyone also using cloth who did). Once he started solids, I'd just empty the diaper into the toilet and flush like normal, with the diaper going into the pail to be washed. I had actually bought a sprayer, but I found it easier not to use it and never needed it. All got washed with Charlie's Soap, with the covers and all in ones being hung to dry.

The one time I used disposable diapers was on a 4 day camping trip. That was the worst, ever. I had to find a laundromat halfway through because despite having the "right size" and trying two different brands, they leaked horribly and I had to get the car seat cover washed and dried. We never had leaks with the cloth diapers, so what I thought would be "time saving" turned out to be anything but and I was kicking myself for not bringing any of his cloth diapers with us.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:35 PM

187 posts, read 174,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
I'm noticing many of these comments are from people who cloth-diapered 10-20+ years ago... Cloth diapering has changed a lot since then. There are many more options. You no longer need to slide the rubber pants down the legs and deal with that mess. Modern cloth diaper systems also tend to fit much better than old-school rubber pants, and can be very cute and stylish.
lol 10 years ago no one had rubber pants down the legs. I didn't even have rubber pants down the legs when I was a baby and I'm 37. I've got a friend who started her diaper business in 1999 - while she sold it after her 3rd kid came along, the company is still going with her patterns and the only thing that's changed has been the cover fabric colors and designs.

Also, as to the economical aspect - I know a lot of people who were blowing hundreds a month on covers and all-in-ones just because they were cute. They certainly spent far more than disposables would cost. But it's certainly something that can be economical if you want it to be.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:35 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,482,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
You will need to keep a bucket for washing daily, and you could have some leakage. Bucket, scouring sponge, clothline in bathtub/shower. Alot of work, but no diaper bills or extra garbage. You can have velcro/ buttons sewn in.

This leads to quicker potty training, for some reason. Also , quicker response to a soiled diaper.

We started to do it, after 6 months of diaper boxes.
NOT TRUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Unlike years ago when even hospitals used cloth diapers, many daycare or similar places don't or wont'.
NOT TRUE

-------------
I cloth diapered 2 of my 3 from birth til potty training. I didnt keep a pail or have some fancy routine. The baby peed/pooped in it, i put it in the laundry basket and then washed it. DONE. I have used a wringer washer, portable washer, normal washer and a laundry mat washer- all fine. From prefolds to flats, to pockets to fitteds to AIOs. All survived 2 children.

Youre making it sound gross and more complicated than it needs to be.

Get some fuzzi bunz for example- pocket diapers with inserts ( so you can change absorbancy). DONE. No pins, etc. Snap on the baby, one size and DONE. Oh no baby wet it or pooped it, take it off and put it in a bag if youre out.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:43 PM

3,721 posts, read 2,903,061 times
I used them with my daughter until she was about 18 months old. By then, she was notbneeding to be changed as often and the diapers would sit longer, plus she was eating a lot of solid food, so things were... more pungent. We switched to disposables at that point.

Anyway, we did the dry pail method. No soaking. I did diapers every other day. Dumped the dry pail of them into the washer, ran a pre-wash, ran a full cycle with detergent and an extra rinse, then threw in the dryer. Sometimes I'd hang them in the sun to remove stains. I used the terry kind that snapped and put a cover over them. We used disposables when traveling and on the rare occasions that grandma watched the kids. It saved money but was a bit of extra work. As a SAHM, that was a good tradeoff for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting