U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 02:30 PM

5,627 posts, read 4,633,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, but I had a kid in 1966, and no laundry in the house, so forgive moi if I cringe at the idea of washing diapers. I'll be supportive of whatever the parents decide though.
Then stay the heck out of their business and let THEM decide. Who cares if you dont like it or wouldnt or couldnt- THEY are the parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 03:20 PM

137 posts, read 59,939 times
Not too many people use cloth diapers. Cloth diapers are/were a thing of the past until we realized Pampers, Huggies, etc are more better. Just like with everything else in life. Its better because of how we have to use the cloth diapers - you go out and bring home dirty diapers, you have to buy tons of cloth until you are able to wash, etc. I can go on but just naming a few examples so you get an idea.

Also, the ones you will see who use cloth diapers fall under other types of categories.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:56 PM

8,652 posts, read 4,783,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleamingobscenereader View Post
Not too many people use cloth diapers. Cloth diapers are/were a thing of the past until we realized Pampers, Huggies, etc are more better. Just like with everything else in life. Its better because of how we have to use the cloth diapers - you go out and bring home dirty diapers, you have to buy tons of cloth until you are able to wash, etc. I can go on but just naming a few examples so you get an idea.

Also, the ones you will see who use cloth diapers fall under other types of categories.
Such as?

Old 07-24-2017, 04:08 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
Quote:

Huh?

Old 07-24-2017, 05:35 PM

13,862 posts, read 13,539,572 times
Quote:

Double huh?

Old 07-24-2017, 05:46 PM

8,652 posts, read 4,783,711 times
Cheapskates?
Poor people?
Pinko-commie-tree-hugging-Prius-drivers?

Old 07-24-2017, 06:59 PM

6,893 posts, read 4,221,404 times
Quote:

Are you confusing modern day for pre-1970s?

Old 07-24-2017, 07:05 PM

4,554 posts, read 2,021,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know these are coming back into favor, for reasons of expense and ecology. My DIL is considering using them, but we don't know much about the options.

I do not have any fond memories of cloth diapering my babies and then dragging the diapers to the laundromat to wash. The invention of Pampers was a gift from heaven, when I was a young mother.

Anyway, for those of you who have used the cloth diapering system for a baby or two, what does someone need to know?
Aren't there still diaper services?

Old 07-24-2017, 07:08 PM

4,554 posts, read 2,021,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Like anything else regarding housekeeping, some women find cloth diapering no bother, others make themselves a martyr to the thing.

In this era of modern automatic washing machines and clothes dryers it really isn't *that* big of a deal. You just have to budget time to get the job done and stick with a routine.

First thing you'll need is a diaper pail with a lid. Preferably enamelware as it is sanitary and easy to keep clean/disinfect. Also enamelware does not hold odors like plastic.

Fill diaper pail with water about half way, to which you can add a bit of borax.

Used diapers go into pail. Those that are *soiled* should be flushed first to remove solids. This can be done by dunking up and down in toilet.

Wearing gloves (disposable latex) each day or night lift diapers out of pail and place into washing machine. You can give a gentle wring if you don't want dripping water. Do not dump pail of water and diapers into machine. You don't want that water in your washer. If you have a front loading washing machine thing is the same, just lift and bung diapers into machine.

Set washer for either short pre-wash or rinse cycle. You want to dilute soils and remove any left over solids before main wash.

Main wash cycle should be in hottest water recommended by diaper maker. If you have a front loader that self heats water a wash cycle of 140F to 160F should be fine. Use any detergent that is strong enough to clean but gentle enough not to harm baby's skin. Best avoid chlorine bleach and use oxygen instead. But if you are using a top loading washer, and thus must rely upon water as "hot" as it comes from your tap, then you may need to consider using chlorine bleach for both sanitation and stain removal.

Most front loading washing machines have several rinses. if you are using a top loader you should rinse diapers at least twice. Your nose will tell you when things are clean. Any whiff of ammonia (a by product from breakdown of urine), stains or whatever means you need to up your game.

After washing and careful rinsing chuck diapers into dryer until dry. The heat of dryer will to some extent further act to sanitize your diapers.

When dry start folding, put away, and rest before next day's batch must be processed.

Before automatic washing machines and or many mothers didn't have washing diapers yes, could be a huge chore that involved much work including boiling.

Commercial diaper services have access to tallow built soaps, which clean diapers but rinse clean and thus not leave harsh deposits. Ivory Snow no longer is a soap, and not sure where or if you can find such a thing on sale for domestic use. But if you want to know about that, just ask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpZOUFJ-p0g
Ivory Snow is still available in powder and liquid forms. Amazon

Old 07-24-2017, 09:05 PM

15,824 posts, read 18,434,141 times
Here's what you need to know as the grandmother. When you watch the baby, you use disposable.....That is what I'd say.

I do not think using cloth diapers is any greener than using throw away....when you consider how germy dirty diapers are....and how much hot water you have to use, and a dryer etc.
I've done both in my lifetime....and the cloth because I couldn't afford disposable. I'd choose disposable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting