Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 08:36 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

I know these are coming back into favor, for reasons of expense and ecology. My DIL is considering using them, but we don't know much about the options.

I do not have any fond memories of cloth diapering my babies and then dragging the diapers to the laundromat to wash. The invention of Pampers was a gift from heaven, when I was a young mother.

Anyway, for those of you who have used the cloth diapering system for a baby or two, what does someone need to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 02:52 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
You will need to keep a bucket for washing daily, and you could have some leakage. Bucket, scouring sponge, clothline in bathtub/shower. Alot of work, but no diaper bills or extra garbage. You can have velcro/ buttons sewn in.

This leads to quicker potty training, for some reason. Also , quicker response to a soiled diaper.

We started to do it, after 6 months of diaper boxes.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:47 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Anyway, for those of you who have used the cloth diapering system for a baby or two, what does someone need to know?
She needs to get a diaper service. We had one child with disposables, another with cloth. (I'm embarrassed to think that I polluted the environment with those disposables). There's nothing to know, really....it's easy, about the same price as disposables, and convenient. The diaper company even gives you a travel pack with a deodorizer if you want to use cloth while away from home.

I cannot imagine her washing them on her own, though.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:28 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
My youngest is 6 now, so it's been a while. But I used these and I loved them. I used the disposable linings for long days out and cloth the rest of the time. I had a regular diaper pail but with a liner for cloth diapers in it. Did laundry roughly daily. Dump #2 in the toilet and wash everything else.

Hybrid Cloth Diapers | GroVia

I had some of these too

All In One Cloth Diapers | GroVia

and other all in ones mixed in

www.cottonbabies.com is a great resource (local to me, so made it very simple)

Old 07-22-2017, 06:13 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Honestly I couldn't be bothered with them. I have known so many moms start out gung-ho about using cloth and only one of them kept it up through out their kids usage of diapers. And I know how much my mom adored disposables. They came on the market between her first and second child and she talked about them like they were the best thing since sliced bread.

But...and this is big. I believe what mom and dad want. Mom and dad get. Even if you don't agree. SO just go along for the ride, which it sounds like you are doing.

P.S. A close family member was the head engineer for a major city's landfill. I did consult him because I heard all sorts of stuff about how disposables are around for 15 years and are poisonous to our water supply. Even hearing they stuck around for 100+ years. He assured me that this wasn't true. He said that modern diapers break down rather quickly and are the least of a landfill's worries. I believe him because he did share about other products that are actually bad for landfills and for the environment. So he wasn't passing over all environmental worries.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:10 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
A close family member was the head engineer for a major city's landfill. I did consult him because I heard all sorts of stuff about how disposables are around for 15 years and are poisonous to our water supply. Even hearing they stuck around for 100+ years. He assured me that this wasn't true. He said that modern diapers break down rather quickly and are the least of a landfill's worries.
Being the least of a landfill's worries is not exactly reassuring.

Environmental Impact of Disposable Diapers | LIVESTRONG.COM

Why Disposables Are Dirty and Dangerous: https://www.smallfootprintfamily.com...osable-diapers

Disposable Diapers Add Millions Of Tons Of Waste To Landfills Each Year, According To EPA Report

Old 07-23-2017, 12:58 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
You will need to keep a bucket for washing daily, and you could have some leakage. Bucket, scouring sponge, clothline in bathtub/shower. Alot of work, but no diaper bills or extra garbage. You can have velcro/ buttons sewn in.

This leads to quicker potty training, for some reason. Also , quicker response to a soiled diaper.

We started to do it, after 6 months of diaper boxes.
I've heard that, too...I think because wet and dirty diapers aren't very comfortable. So it's much easier to train a toddler.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:08 AM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know these are coming back into favor, for reasons of expense and ecology. My DIL is considering using them, but we don't know much about the options.

I do not have any fond memories of cloth diapering my babies and then dragging the diapers to the laundromat to wash. The invention of Pampers was a gift from heaven, when I was a young mother.

Like anything else regarding housekeeping, some women find cloth diapering no bother, others make themselves a martyr to the thing.

In this era of modern automatic washing machines and clothes dryers it really isn't *that* big of a deal. You just have to budget time to get the job done and stick with a routine.

First thing you'll need is a diaper pail with a lid. Preferably enamelware as it is sanitary and easy to keep clean/disinfect. Also enamelware does not hold odors like plastic.

Fill diaper pail with water about half way, to which you can add a bit of borax.

Used diapers go into pail. Those that are *soiled* should be flushed first to remove solids. This can be done by dunking up and down in toilet.

Wearing gloves (disposable latex) each day or night lift diapers out of pail and place into washing machine. You can give a gentle wring if you don't want dripping water. Do not dump pail of water and diapers into machine. You don't want that water in your washer. If you have a front loading washing machine thing is the same, just lift and bung diapers into machine.

Set washer for either short pre-wash or rinse cycle. You want to dilute soils and remove any left over solids before main wash.

Main wash cycle should be in hottest water recommended by diaper maker. If you have a front loader that self heats water a wash cycle of 140F to 160F should be fine. Use any detergent that is strong enough to clean but gentle enough not to harm baby's skin. Best avoid chlorine bleach and use oxygen instead. But if you are using a top loading washer, and thus must rely upon water as "hot" as it comes from your tap, then you may need to consider using chlorine bleach for both sanitation and stain removal.

Most front loading washing machines have several rinses. if you are using a top loader you should rinse diapers at least twice. Your nose will tell you when things are clean. Any whiff of ammonia (a by product from breakdown of urine), stains or whatever means you need to up your game.

After washing and careful rinsing chuck diapers into dryer until dry. The heat of dryer will to some extent further act to sanitize your diapers.

When dry start folding, put away, and rest before next day's batch must be processed.

Before automatic washing machines and or many mothers didn't have washing diapers yes, could be a huge chore that involved much work including boiling.

Commercial diaper services have access to tallow built soaps, which clean diapers but rinse clean and thus not leave harsh deposits. Ivory Snow no longer is a soap, and not sure where or if you can find such a thing on sale for domestic use. But if you want to know about that, just ask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpZOUFJ-p0g

Old 07-23-2017, 06:57 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Thank you all.
To review:
Many or all disposables are biodegradable.
A cloth diaper service is about the same cost as disposables.
Washing your own diapers results in cost savings and zero impact on the environment.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:13 AM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Just remember unlike back in the day you may have to and wish to keep a supply of disposables on hand, even when using cloth.

Unlike years ago when even hospitals used cloth diapers, many daycare or similar places don't or wont'.

Also it may be easier when traveling, out and about, or even visiting grandparents or whoever to use disposables instead of cloth. If you go to grandmama's house for Sunday dinner, do you really want to keep and bring back home soiled diapers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting