Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 10:42 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,269,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Good for you and others who actually care about this issue!!

300k+ babies born EVERY DAY times how many diapers a day? Times how many days? This issue upsets and scares me even more than climate change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 12:23 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
NOT TRUE

NOT TRUE

-------------
I cloth diapered 2 of my 3 from birth til potty training. I didnt keep a pail or have some fancy routine. The baby peed/pooped in it, i put it in the laundry basket and then washed it. DONE. I have used a wringer washer, portable washer, normal washer and a laundry mat washer- all fine. From prefolds to flats, to pockets to fitteds to AIOs. All survived 2 children.

Youre making it sound gross and more complicated than it needs to be.

Get some fuzzi bunz for example- pocket diapers with inserts ( so you can change absorbancy). DONE. No pins, etc. Snap on the baby, one size and DONE. Oh no baby wet it or pooped it, take it off and put it in a bag if youre out.

Things may be different in your neck of the woods but there isn't a hospital in New York that still uses cloth diapers. If your infant or not potty trained child is admitted, he or she will be placed in disposables because that is what is available. Not many hospitals even use real wash cloths anymore (which is what nurses and aides used to clean up after a BM/changing a diaper), but various wipes instead.

Ditto for licensed day care. Though perhaps some persons working out of their home or other small operations *may* deal with cloth diapers.

As for the balance of your post; every woman's housekeeping standards and routine is different. Personally wouldn't leave a used diaper in an open laundry basked anymore than one would a used bit of toilet paper, but if it worked for you *a salute* .

Old 07-24-2017, 08:17 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,564 times
Anyone use cloth diaper partially? Like the moms who are using cloth diapers but use disposable for going out session, did anyone do the reverse. I don't think I want to cloth diaper on regular base, it scares me bit as first time mom. But I would love to not use disposable diaper for few hours a day or maybe on weekend to give baby alternative feeling & let things air out down there. Feel nature little bit but not all the time

Old 07-24-2017, 08:30 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
^^I used disposables at night until I found a cloth diaper that could hold a night's worth of urine. A friend of mine had diapers that could be used with disposable or reusable inserts (Grovia, I think?) and would use the disposable inserts as needed.

The only issue I could see is that it will take you longer to accumulate enough diapers to wash a full load, so the dirty ones would be "marinating" in the diaper pail too long.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:05 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
Some of these responses do seem very outdated.

My kids are 11 and 8. My oldest was in disposables because I was intimidated by cloth diapers, thought it would be a lot of work, and assumed (incorrectly) that daycare would not use them. I had some friends who used cloth and loved it, so when my daughter was 2, and mostly already daytime potty trained, I started using cloth with her. Since she was day potty trained, she was only using a diaper overnight at that time. We used pocket diapers, which could be stuffed enough to hold her overnight urine. I had 8 diapers, and since she used 1 per night, I just washed them together once per week. After they were soiled, I would put them in a dry, zippered, waterproof, cloth bag, which I then washed together with the diapers. We used those for about a year until she was dry at night.

My youngest started out in cloth from day one. Even in the hospital, I used the prefolds that were supplied by the hospital (intended as burp cloths, but whatever). I tried a variety of types of diapers with her (prefolds and covers, fitteds, pockets, all-in-ones) which worked better or worse at different stages. I did buy cute "fancy" diapers with fun patterns on them as well. I generally bought my diapers used off of a website called DiaperSwappers, which is like the ebay of cloth diapers, so I did not pay full price. Then, after I was done with them, I sold them again on DiaperSwappers. In this way, I might buy a diaper for $16 and then sell it for $12 later, so my overall cost was still low per diaper. I was gifted some new fancy diapers once too. But generally, even though I had "fancy" diapers, I didn't spend a lot at the end of the day.

I did use cloth diapers at daycare, as did several of my co-workers who also had babies at the time, so I know that it was common in our area for daycares to accept cloth diapers. Each daycare had their own way of dealing with state regulations about the diapers, but I haven't heard of one here who refused to work with cloth diapers. In my case, I had to supply a large zippered wetbag, as well as several small single diaper sized zippered wetbags. When a diaper was soiled, they put it in the small wetbag, and then placed that in the large wetbag. At the end of each day, I brought home the large wetbag with all the soiled diapers. I chose to use a different brand of diaper just for daycare, which would be easy for them to use, and easy for me to differentiate from my "home" diapers after washing so that I could easily tell which ones to bring back to daycare.

I washed 3x per week at home, on Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday. I used my front loader with Country Save detergent, and pushed the buttons for pre-wash, hot/cold, extra rinse, and extra water. Then I dried them in the dryer. If diapers had stains, I dried them outside in the sun, which generally removes stains.

My youngest switched to disposable pull-ups once she was only using overnights, so was the exact opposite pattern of my oldest. Both potty-trained during the day around 2.5 years old, so no difference there. If I had another baby today, I would choose cloth diapers again. They are a bigger expense up front, but a smaller expense overall - even using the cute fancy diapers. They are not difficult to use or wash. There are tons of choices of styles, probably moreso now than when I was using them. One big advantage to me was also that they didn't leak up the back as much, which was always a big problem with my oldest.

After my experience with cloth diapers, I chose to convert to cloth menstrual products and cloth napkins as well.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:00 AM

214 posts, read 300,858 times
One other thing - least anyone still picture fumbling with pins for fastening a prefold, I absolutely adored the Snappi. Most diaper sellers sell them, as well as Amazon. It literally took seconds to fasten the diaper.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:03 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Things may be different in your neck of the woods but there isn't a hospital in New York that still uses cloth diapers. If your infant or not potty trained child is admitted, he or she will be placed in disposables because that is what is available. Not many hospitals even use real wash cloths anymore (which is what nurses and aides used to clean up after a BM/changing a diaper), but various wipes instead.

Ditto for licensed day care. Though perhaps some persons working out of their home or other small operations *may* deal with cloth diapers.

As for the balance of your post; every woman's housekeeping standards and routine is different. Personally wouldn't leave a used diaper in an open laundry basked anymore than one would a used bit of toilet paper, but if it worked for you *a salute* .
Maybe New York is too fancy then....

ALL daycares around here accept them and no the hospitals dont give them to you but they will allow you to use them if you bring them.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:11 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Looks like there are a bunch of daycare centers in NYC that allow cloth diapers. Just because you (general) don't know what every daycare does doesn't mean none use them. https://www.diaperkind.com/skin/fron...ly_Daycare.pdf

I also find it hard to believe that a hospital would tell a parent that they can't cloth-diaper their hospitalized child unless there was a specific medical contraindication. Having spent a week at a children's hospital while my (teenage) daughter was in the icu recently, I will say that I wouldn't do it, because I wouldnt want to waste time doing laundry... I was in her room unless I was getting something to eat or showering. But the nurses didn't seem to be anything other than accommodating, and if she was a toddler and i wanted to cloth diaper, I'm pretty positive they wouldn't have said no.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:28 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
I used them - a diaper service - was a gift when I had the baby.

They were GREAT. Not just for diapering but you could grab them for burping on your shoulder, on your lap, or whatever. No odor in the bedroom waiting for the weekly pickup, somehow, too.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:14 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Ahem. Older mothers (now) were also in the workforce when we were younger mothers. It would have been very difficult to be unaware of the fact that cloth diapers were much less damaging to the environment than disposables were, even way back when.
Ok, but I had a kid in 1966, and no laundry in the house, so forgive moi if I cringe at the idea of washing diapers. I'll be supportive of whatever the parents decide though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting