Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 12:05 PM

772 posts, read 1,060,254 times

Advertisements

Alcohol is not a necessity so I'm having trouble seeing why it's such a big deal to give up ONCE over finds out that they are pregnant. I'm not a big drinker myself ( a glass of wine on very special occasions if that) but i give even that up while pregnant. I also don't drink while breast feeding and I don't think it's that big a deal.

As for caffeine, I drink a cup of instant coffee a few times a week. That is apparently about 60mg of caffeine. We are not coffee drinkers (don't even have a coffee maker at home) but I have bad headaches while pregnant and my OB with my first suggested taking Tylenol with a shot of caffeine from Coca Cola or coffee and the headaches disappear.. it's always worked.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:38 PM

564 posts, read 448,929 times
There is nothing to discuss here, no room for sensitive, feel good responses. You just don't drink during pregnancy.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:43 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
May be harmless, may not be harmless. My opinion is, why risk it? I gave up all alcohol and caffeine while I was pregnant. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Some interesting reading here: https://www.alcoholproblemsandsoluti...043239516.html
and here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22413723 and here: No Tie Between Light Drinking During Pregnancy, Child's Development: Study - MedicineNet regarding the studies.

Personally I only had one or two alcoholic drinks total during my pregnancies but I still stand by my statement that I see no harm in having a single glass of wine or beer a week, especially late in pregnancy and the articles I shared back this up. If anyone has proof that one single glass of wine or beer a week consumed late in pregnancy has led to harm, I am more then open to reading the evidence.
Link #1: No date, all references are from the 1970s/80s. We've learned a lot since then.
#2: No authors named. He/she/it/they sound like a bunch of alcoholics though. The abstract is full of excuses.
#3: Not a professional source; says ""The problem is that no one knows the exact amount of alcohol consumption that is safe, so many doctors in this country choose a conservative approach and tell their patients not to drink any alcohol," said Dr. Keith Eddleman, director of obstetrics at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City. . . . Kelly stressed, however, that long-term data is still needed. "While we have followed these children for the first seven years of their lives, further research is needed to detect whether any adverse effects of low levels of alcohol consumption in pregnancy emerge later in childhood," she said. . . . For his part, Eddleman said doctors and most patients have so far erred on the side of caution when it comes to such an important issue."

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My sister-in-law smoked regularly and had a glass or two of wine every night. This was in the 60's. All 3 sons were fine. We have definitely crossed over from one extreme to another. Oddly enough there seems to be more incidences of autism now then ever before. Things that make you go hmmm?
Consumption of organic food has gone up in a straight line relationship to the increase of autism. Coincidence? I think not! /s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
what about drinking while breastfeeding?
Not really recommended. See the link I posted earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
My wife gave up caffeine and alcohol for both kids. She wasn't a fan, but better safe than not. I'm neither a woman nor a medical doctor, so my thoughts on the issue aren't really grounded in much experience.

By that logic, there is absolutely no reason anyone should ever drink alcohol. Are you saying anyone who ever drinks at all has problem?
I don't agree with your logic in your assessment of her logic! Alcohol is a recreational drink. One ought to be able to give it up for the greater good.

Quote:
Drinking below 200 mg of caffeine has been ok'ed by the American Pregnancy Association. There are risks of low birth weight, miscarriage or stillborn.

The drinking alcohol one seems tricky but in my opinion it seems best to NOT drink alcohol at all during pregnancy. I remember having a dr ask me something along the lines if i was drinking at all during pregnancy. I wasn't and we talked about it more and she said the ones to really look out for in terms of this were the woman drinking a bottle of vodka or so a day. It made me think of Russia because there is high frequency of FAS there. However it gets tricky because many women in europe drink a glass of wine a day all throughout their pregnancy and they go on to have healthy babies.

I would be too nervous to risk it. Re: breastfeeding I've read that if your sober enough to drive youre sober enough to breastfeed. A very small amount of alcohol would be absorbed that would have no risk to the baby. So quite honestly i'm not sure where the idea came from that you cant drink alcohol while nursing and the pump and dump routine is waste of time.
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome was first identified in France and the US at about the same time, by different groups of researchers.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:01 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caves19 View Post
I wanted to see what your guys opinion on drinking while pregnant are. I personally think if she just has a glass of wine once a week or two it won't do any harm. What's your opinion?
(
Drinking, smoking, it all goes away while a woman is pregnant . Though many women disdain that yet still wrap themselves in the mantle of " all caring Motherhood". And it's BS. My ex smoked throughout pregnancy with my son, despite my having given it up myself under all manner of justification. I feel prenatal care is a subject worth discussion. This "it's MY body and MY baby nonsense needs to stop. A Father has rights to, as does the baby in vitro.

A Mother has rights, but also obligations that go with them. Ones they touted even though they may not have beenbeen met. Especially in custody cases involving monetary support from a Father. And it's wrong.

Last edited by NVplumber; 07-23-2017 at 02:26 PM..

Old 07-23-2017, 02:20 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times
Many people drink a glass or two with no perceived ill effects, but that's a chance they are taking. FAS research suggests that there are some key windows where alcohol exposure can have negative effects on the growing fetus. The problem is that some of those windows are very early and you can't predict where they will be. So you're better off staying away from alcohol while pregnant, period.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:49 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
OK then. The evidence that I shared that was based on the studies that we do have on alcohol in pregnancy and it absolutely does not support the notion that drinking small amounts late in pregnancy causes harm to the developing fetus despite suspicions that it might. So, no, I'm not going to judge a pregnant women who has a very occasional beer or glass of wine late in pregnancy.
I don't think anyone asked you to judge anyone but a lack of controlled studies does not mean there is no evidence that drinking late in pregnancy has its owns issues. The link I gave before showed a specific problem that has been proven to be due to late term alcohol consumption. That is a fact.

Just because they did not quantify how much alcohol causes that problem does not make it less of a fact.

Parents make choices based on risk all the time. If a parent chooses to take that risk it is completely their right, and one that is a small risk compared to many others. But my only issue is the supposition that there is no risk. That isn't true and it does parents a disservice.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:49 PM

92 posts, read 83,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
There are all kinds of studies on this. Read them and decide for yourself.

My personal opinion is that you give up alcohol during pregnancy. Yes, the alcohol can pass to the unborn baby. There is no reason to drink while pregnant. It's just something to avoid for the health of the baby. It's not about what the mom wants- it's about the baby.
This exactly. How hard is it to not drink for 9 months? Really.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:00 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Drinking below 200 mg of caffeine has been ok'ed by the American Pregnancy Association. There are risks of low birth weight, miscarriage or stillborn.

The drinking alcohol one seems tricky but in my opinion it seems best to NOT drink alcohol at all during pregnancy. I remember having a dr ask me something along the lines if i was drinking at all during pregnancy. I wasn't and we talked about it more and she said the ones to really look out for in terms of this were the woman drinking a bottle of vodka or so a day. It made me think of Russia because there is high frequency of FAS there. However it gets tricky because many women in europe drink a glass of wine a day all throughout their pregnancy and they go on to have healthy babies.

I would be too nervous to risk it. Re: breastfeeding I've read that if your sober enough to drive youre sober enough to breastfeed. A very small amount of alcohol would be absorbed that would have no risk to the baby. So quite honestly i'm not sure where the idea came from that you cant drink alcohol while nursing and the pump and dump routine is waste of time.
Don't believe everything you read.

My cousin quit smoking when she was trying to get pregnant. After the baby was born she was nursing for many months full time.

She went to another country to visit the in-laws who drove her up a wall.

She smoked one day.

Her baby vomited after every meal for two days.

He wasn't "SICK" it was from the lousy chemicals, OBVS.

Jeeze if people can't quit booze for THIS reason, they're pathetic IMO.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:07 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My sister-in-law smoked regularly and had a glass or two of wine every night. This was in the 60's. All 3 sons were fine. We have definitely crossed over from one extreme to another. Oddly enough there seems to be more incidences of autism now then ever before. Things that make you go hmmm?
I think part of the Autism increase is increased awareness. Prior to the 1990s, there was very little research or understanding of it, therefore less instances of diagnosis, even though the term first came into use in the earlier half of the 20th century.

Many children were probably either misdiagnosed or just treated as a 'little different' prior to more recent decades when awareness and testing became more prevalent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting