Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 01:30 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
We also didn't have classmates who were medicated for being hyperactive. And parents didn't walk us or drive us to school, we all walked with friends starting in kindergarten.

I don't know why things have changed so much, it's sad. And it's hard for some of us grandparents to even believe how different things are for our grandchildren.

It's sad. No judgment. I want everyone to be healthy and strong, not weak, afraid and medicated.

I don't know why things got so bad so quickly, I don't want kids struggling with all these extra problems and limitations, life is hard enough.

I'm not blaming parents, everyone does the best they can. I just want a reason why this is happening and a solution so we can fix it.

I walked to school, but plenty of the kids were on the school bus or driven by parents even in the late 50s and early 60s. The difference was that there were sidewalks and families lived close enough to school to walk. Both my children walked to school in the mid to late 70s. My grandkids though cannot walk here because it is not safe so they take the school bus or are driven. Some kids whose schools are in the walkable subdivisions do still walk or bike, but mine could not - busy streets and few sidewalks between us and their school.

While kids were not medicated back in my day, the kids with adhd were labeled *bad* and got into a lot of trouble instead of being helped by medication. We have improved our diagnoses and our treatments.

ADHD & Kids: The Truth About Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

ADHD is real and medication helps.

Quote:
To say that ADHD is sometimes misdiagnosed—even over-diagnosed—is likely true, say many experts. But to say that it doesn’t exist, as some critics claim, is “like saying the world is flat,” says Edward Hallowell, a psychiatrist who treats ADHD at The Hallowell Centers in Cambridge, MA, and New York City and who has ADHD himself. “Those days are over. Today we have brain scans, genetic studies, twin studies that show that this is a highly inherited neurobiological disorder, not some made-up condition.” Most of the doctors who treat people with ADHD agree that of course the condition exists, even if others like Richard Saul dispute it.
Quote:
Scans show that those brain regions in children with ADHD are smaller than they are in children in the general population. In one 2007 study done jointly by the Child Psychiatry Branch of the National Institute of Mental Health and McGill University in Montreal, brain scans of 223 children with ADHD showed that the thickening of cortical tissue was delayed by about three years compared to scans of a control group of equal numbers of normally developing youngsters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 10:06 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You are welcome to your opinion, you are also welcome to run for your local board of ed. And as I stated multiple times if a ban if effected you are completely within your rights to request that as part of your child's IEP he be allowed to eat peanut butter in the nurses office during lunch.

I think bans are effective tool in some situations.
I think many bans - not all - are arbitrary and useless.

I don't need to run for my local board to have an opinion.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think many bans - not all - are arbitrary and useless.

I don't need to run for my local board to have an opinion.
How many bans do you know details about? I have kids in 2 schools and don't know anything beyond having a peanut free table in the cafeteria at one of them. I certainly don't know anything about nut rules at other schools, or anything about the kids that might prompt a ban, such as how severe their allergy is, how many kids are allergic, what class they are in, etc. How could anyone possibly judge whether they are arbitrary or useless without having all the facts?

Old 08-08-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
How many bans do you know details about? I have kids in 2 schools and don't know anything beyond having a peanut free table in the cafeteria at one of them. I certainly don't know anything about nut rules at other schools, or anything about the kids that might prompt a ban, such as how severe their allergy is, how many kids are allergic, what class they are in, etc. How could anyone possibly judge whether they are arbitrary or useless without having all the facts?
I wasn't talking about PB bans. Please read back through that exchange.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I wasn't talking about PB bans. Please read back through that exchange.
My point stands. You don't know about the kids involved, what they are allergic to, how allergic they are, or even that all of those items are banned anywhere.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
My point stands. You don't know about the kids involved, what they are allergic to, how allergic they are, or even that all of those items are banned anywhere.
No your point doesn't stand because the statement I made to which you replied had zero to do with food or allergies.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:45 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Schools generally don't go so far as to ban any and all products that might contain peanuts. It's a risk assessment. Banning peanut butter is not the same as banning granola bars processed in a facility that also processes nuts or banning BBQ sauce or whatever else was on the list.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:09 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Sometimes schools do ban products that were processed in a facility that handles nuts. This happened in one of my kids' preschools. The staff even checked labels. It made packing lunch slightly more difficult but I quickly figured out alternatives. The extremeness of the ban didn't quite make sense since people could pack homemade items that may have come into contact with nuts or even contained hidden nuts.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:09 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Sometimes schools do ban products that were processed in a facility that handles nuts. This happened in one of my kids' preschools. The staff even checked labels. It made packing lunch slightly more difficult but I quickly figured out alternatives. The extremeness of the ban didn't quite make sense since people could pack homemade items that may have come into contact with nuts or even contained hidden nuts.

Yes, Like I said before Propaganda has made teachers and administrators so paranoid that they result to these extreme measures for situations that dont really exist.
Most of this paranoia is based on Mylans propaganda campaign to increase sales. As soon as they got parents all hyped up on all the misconceived dangers, They upped the Price of an eppi pen to $700.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:55 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Yes, Like I said before Propaganda has made teachers and administrators so paranoid that they result to these extreme measures for situations that dont really exist.
Most of this paranoia is based on Mylans propaganda campaign to increase sales. As soon as they got parents all hyped up on all the misconceived dangers, They upped the Price of an eppi pen to $700.
What do you think they're saying about epi-pens that they haven't been saying for the past decade? My daughter got hers nine years ago and nothing has changed as far as when it's supposed to be used or how often it needs to be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting