Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 03:01 PM

26 posts, read 14,317 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are very concerned. We are the 1st generation immigrants, and this is our 1st post. Our daughter is 19 and just went to an inner city college that has a lot of kids on drugs, soft and hard ones.

We grew up in a poor country that drug is absolutely no-no. For our whole live, we never took any drugs, or over-the-counter-pills (couldn't afford them anyway), or even smoked. So, we don't know what are the signs. However, in this new country, many other parents just told us these things always happen in colleges. Kind of told us, don't be so up-tight and to "get-over-it." We told our kids right from the beginning "drug is bad" but now we feel helpless as soon as she went to college, away from home.

This summer, we noticed that she behaved very diff. and slept a lot, and missed email and calls and forgot things, even the activities she promised to do. Additionally, she always wears long sleeve shirts to cover her arms, even in 80-90F days. OK, we understand that it could be a teenager things and that could be just their normal ways to try "to find herself" and all that.

If it's other abnormal things, we are not that worried. But we think taking drugs, particularly hard drugs, can be a start of a downward spiral.

Are we paranoid? or just something we will have to learn to live-with-it in this new country?

Thank you for your support!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 04:41 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
How do you know the college has a drug problem? How are your daughter's grades? Kids with hard drug habits don't do well in school, and don't last long. Nothing you've indicated about her behavior screams drug abuse.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:05 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
Wearing long sleeves sounds more like self harm

The US isn't unique in its drug use.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Wearing long sleeves sounds more like self harm

We suspect needle marks on her arms.

Please, we are not trying to make a political point here by saying "The US IS unique in its drug use." We know many other countries have similar problems. We are just worried about our own daughter, nothing more than that.

Thanks.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
How do you know the college has a drug problem? How are your daughter's grades? Kids with hard drug habits don't do well in school, and don't last long. Nothing you've indicated about her behavior screams drug abuse.
Her grades are okay, so far. But this was just 1st year.

I'm not sure what is "drug abuse?" If for what ever reasons, tried once or twice, considered "abuse?" Even occasional use, we may want to know, if possible. Obviously, we don't want to make a wrong assumption and accuse her with any proof or knowledge - which we definitely don't have.

Thanks.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:05 PM

65 posts, read 103,855 times
Self harm, "cutting", is unfortunately very popular among young girls today. I'd try to see her arms if you can, so that you can provide support and help if that's the case.

If she has needle marks, then that's not something to take lightly and any parent telling you to 'get over it' isn't a good parent and not someone you want advice from. Teens drinking a bit, maybe smoking pot in college is hopefully what these other parents mean, not shooting up.

Good luck and I hope all is good with your daughter.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

it maybe better, if I used the wording "new environment" than "new country?"

Old 08-05-2017, 08:30 PM

Location: In my cat's house, until she finds a better human servant
372 posts, read 390,190 times
I'd strongly suggest you seek professional advice right away, it's impossible for people on a forum to know if she is cutting and/or suffering from clinical depression and/or doing drugs. Or has another physical ailment causing exhaustion etc.

No matter what the cause it sounds like something is wrong, but if it is drugs and/or psychological she might not want to talk to you, don't take this personally. But you need to look into how to get her help for whatever is troubling her so it doesn't turn into a tragic story. Or untreated Illness. I wish you and her the best.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat5e View Post
I'd strongly suggest you seek professional advice right away, it's impossible for people on a forum to know if she is cutting and/or suffering from clinical depression and/or doing drugs. Or has another physical ailment causing exhaustion etc.

No matter what the cause it sounds like something is wrong, but if it is drugs and/or psychological she might not want to talk to you, don't take this personally. But you need to look into how to get her help for whatever is troubling her so it doesn't turn into a tragic story. Or untreated Illness. I wish you and her the best.

THANK YOU! Will do!

Old 08-05-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellebud View Post
Self harm, "cutting", is unfortunately very popular among young girls today. I'd try to see her arms if you can, so that you can provide support and help if that's the case.

If she has needle marks, then that's not something to take lightly and any parent telling you to 'get over it' isn't a good parent and not someone you want advice from. Teens drinking a bit, maybe smoking pot in college is hopefully what these other parents mean, not shooting up.

Good luck and I hope all is good with your daughter.
Thank you for your info and support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting