Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you rather your 16-year-old do?
Smoke cigarettes 3 4.62%
Drink beer 11 16.92%
Smoke weed 11 16.92%
Have sex 17 26.15%
Use a gun 23 35.38%
Live on their own 10 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 09:43 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,721,351 times

Advertisements

My 16 year old has no idea how to use a gun, so unless he was taking a gun safety class, that's a complete NO. Smoking cigarettes is a close second. Than smoking pot. Drinking a beer, meh. Binge-drinking would be worse than smoking pot. Sex is okay if he's safe about it (though a non-issue right now, because he's not interested in dating yet). Living on his own is just not even on the table... this is a kid who still needs to be reminded to brush his teeth some days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 09:46 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,178,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
What about cannabis/weed? It kills nobody, no serious health problems, dozens of health benefits.
Cannabis is far from benign to the still developing brain of a teenager.

And I say that as someone who voted for its approval for recreational use when I lived in Colorado. I have no problem with people over 21 using it (though I'm not in support of edibles either, because they can mistakenly be consumed by young children).

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 08-19-2017 at 10:18 AM..

Old 08-19-2017, 09:59 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Sorry, can't rank because I would have to say none!

I agree. None of those choices are preferable.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:54 AM

776 posts, read 393,826 times
@GWTJ Please don't spam my thread to push a political agenda.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:28 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Quote:
Cannabis (weed) kills 0 and has dozens of health benefits. Which part of that do you object to? Thanks!
My biggest objection to cannabis is the missionary complex it gives to cannabis users. It's really obnoxious. People who are stoned on weed also repeat the same thing over and over. It makes them sound stupid and boring. Plus it is obnoxious.

It is not true that cannabis causes zero deaths. People get stoned and it impairs their driving skills and they get into traffic wrecks and kill other people and maybe themselves. Heavy equipment operators and train engineers have caused severe wrecks and killed people because they were using cannabis at work.

As for health issues, no one knows because none of it has ever been documented. It does cause mental birth defects in children and it is looking a lot like it is causing heart problems in serious users, which is coming to light now that it is legalized and people will confess that they have been using it.

It is also well documented to cause jail time and criminal records.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:57 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I would also say none, with one exception: If I lived in a rural area where hunting was a common thing, I might be OK with a teenager using a shotgun. But even then only if he or she were with an adult on a hunting trip. Many of my southern relatives live in the country and were old hands at handling a rifle at that age.
I agree! Kids are to not mature enough to deal with all the issues and responsibilities that go with sex, cigarettes are harmful, their brains are still growing and I don't care what so called experts say weed effects the brain, drinking is not healthy for them either. As for a gun, that to will depend how mature and if they were given the proper instruction.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:40 PM

492 posts, read 630,566 times
My DH was hunting by himself by age 9. Our kids/grandkids were hunting on their own by age 12. Not all of them were interested, just the ones that want too. The rest are a NO. No 16 year old should be living on their own. Too much responsibility for someone that should be concentrating on being a kid. Weed is a gateway drug. (I know) I have never seen any good come from cigs or alcohol but I have seen bad.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:07 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,665,340 times
Default I was employed at 16, but not making nearly enough to live on my own.

Most of these activities aren't legal until age 18 in most US states. Doesn't mean kids don't do them...
Quote:
I assume you are aware that nobody besides police officers can discharge a gun within a metro area?
That's not entirely true -- my "metro area" has a very popular indoor target range just down the road from the airport (no noise complaints!). Chicago used to have a Trap range in Lincoln Park until the politicians closed it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
My DH was hunting by himself by age 9. Our kids/grandkids were hunting on their own by age 12. Not all of them were interested, just the ones that want too.
Agreed -- I learned how to shoot a .22 rifle in the boy scouts, by age 16 was a good shot with a pistol and absolutely horrible at skeet and sporting clays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It is not true that cannabis causes zero deaths. People get stoned and it impairs their driving skills and they get into traffic wrecks and kill other people and maybe themselves. Heavy equipment operators and train engineers have caused severe wrecks and killed people because they were using cannabis at work.
It is true if you only look at the direct cause of death. Many impairment accidents are polydrug, not MJ alone.

If you look solely at the direct cause of death and exclude co-ingestion of multiple drugs, we see over 2K deaths a year in the USA alone from acute alcohol poisoning. maybe 1 per year from caffeine, one every five years from nicotine poisoning, and zero overdose deaths from marijuana or THC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
Weed is a gateway drug.
Half of the "gateway" nature of weed is because for nearly all US teens, even in states where adult recreational use is legal, the only way to buy weed is to get to know a drug dealer. So it's more that "illegal weed dealers" are the gateway than "weed" itself.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 08-19-2017 at 02:24 PM..

Old 08-19-2017, 02:38 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,332,649 times
In order, from least objectionable to most objectionable.

- Drink beer (provided there was no driving)
- Smoke weed (again--the no driving)
- Have sex (My daughter used birth control by age 16 to regulate her periods. Still preached "safe sex.")
-Smoke cigarettes
- Use a gun
- Live on their own

Old 08-19-2017, 04:25 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yet another C-D poll with inadequate choices.
I can't rep you. Apparently I've liked too many of your answers today!

Let's go with: Which would you rather your 16yr old do?

Drive cross country.
Wear makeup.
Spend a week reading War & Peace.
Beat the Guinness Record for spitting.
Eat liver and onions for a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting