Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 04:35 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,618 times

Advertisements

Please realize that not every man that's checking you out (often it's hard to tell the age) is some kind of predator planning on saying or doing something innapropriate. It's our nature to be attracted to females so we shouldn't be villified just for looking at someone. Of course theres a difference between "checking out" and ogling and im talking about the former.

I do agree with the woman who's daughter is 9-thats absolutely disgusting (as there's no mistaking the age) and I would have had less restraint than you if I had a daughter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Once again your giving the man a pass, he shouldn't HAVE to control himself because the female is dressing provocatively. THATS BS.
Men should be expected to behave appropriately even if someone is walking down the street buck naked.
Well you're right in theory but since men are humans (therefore some are going to be d***bags) it might be wise to make sure your daughter isnt wearing anything provocative.

Walking down the street buck naked? So if a woman is doing this you would expect the men to keep walking without a second glance? You're not a man so let me tell you we are much more visual-based than you as a whole.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:47 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,424,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Well you're right in theory but since men are humans (therefore some are going to be d***bags) it might be wise to make sure your daughter isnt wearing anything provocative.

Walking down the street buck naked? So if a woman is doing this you would expect the men to keep walking without a second glance? You're not a man so let me tell you we are much more visual-based than you as a whole.
I didn't say men can't look, not at all but keep your hands to yourself. I know I look at a good looking man when I see him. Compared to how most women are, I am more like men in how visual based I am so I understand what your saying. My point is that rape and sexual assault can't be blamed on how the woman was dressed at the time.

Society lifts men up to the position of being the superior sex but then when it comes to something like sex, they are allowed often to behave like an animal.

My daughter is 11 now and headed into puberty and I do make sure she wears age appropriate clothing, she is a child and I mean to make sure she looks that way when she leaves the house. I am a VERY protective Mother. I used to have a job where I heard straight from the pedophiles mouth how they thought of children like my own.

She is at the age where she needs to start wearing a bra and doesn't want to for example. I can only imagine how this would play with the wrong audience.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:50 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,074 times
I watched my history teacher in the 7th grade lean over his desk to a watch one of the girls walk out of the classroom once. She asked for a pass for something and was wearing a short skirt. The guy was older, balding and overweight too. Yuck. Anyway, when he turned around from making a point to watch her walk away, he smiled at a couple of the popular boys in class. That was pretty gross and I've never forgotten it. That was in 1987 or 88.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
I watched my history teacher in the 7th grade lean over his desk to a watch one of the girls walk out of the classroom once. She asked for a pass for something and was wearing a short skirt. The guy was older, balding and overweight too. Yuck. Anyway, when he turned around from making a point to watch her walk away, he smiled at a couple of the popular boys in class. That was pretty gross and I've never forgotten it. That was in 1987 or 88.
We had an English teacher like that, all us girls loved him but we had no idea what was really going on with him. I didn't find out until years later he was sleeping with one of my classmates, of course he was also married, we were Sophomores in high school.

I look back to that time and I thought I had a clue about life, boys and sex but I had NO real idea of what was going on at all. I felt like he treated us like we were just people, not idiots like the other teachers did but in reality he lacked appropriate boundaries with us kids.

My daughters school is going to LOVE me. I plan on visiting often. So just in case, in the back of their mind, they will remember who her Mother is and be affraid to cross me. My daughter isn't even to middle school yet and the principle knows me well.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I didn't say men can't look, not at all but keep your hands to yourself. I know I look at a good looking man when I see him. Compared to how most women are, I am more like men in how visual based I am so I understand what your saying. My point is that rape and sexual assault can't be blamed on how the woman was dressed at the time.

Society lifts men up to the position of being the superior sex but then when it comes to something like sex, they are allowed often to behave like an animal.

My daughter is 11 now and headed into puberty and I do make sure she wears age appropriate clothing, she is a child and I mean to make sure she looks that way when she leaves the house. I am a VERY protective Mother. I used to have a job where I heard straight from the pedophiles mouth how they thought of children like my own.

She is at the age where she needs to start wearing a bra and doesn't want to for example. I can only imagine how this would play with the wrong audience.
That's great, we need more parents like you! It's revolting to be in walking down the street and see some 10 year old girl walking around in skanky clothes on the mobile.

Oh, I never said there is an excuse for rape, only looking/oggling. I don't really understand the "society lifts men up as the superior sex" statement though. Are you referring to sexually exposing advertisements?

Old 03-16-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
That's great, we need more parents like you! It's revolting to be in walking down the street and see some 10 year old girl walking around in skanky clothes on the mobile.

Oh, I never said there is an excuse for rape, only looking/oggling. I don't really understand the "society lifts men up as the superior sex" statement though. Are you referring to sexually exposing advertisements?
I'm just talking about society in general, the US is still a very patriarchal society. Men are paid more for a job then a woman, things like that. BUT science has proven its men who are led by their hormones, not women. Men are regularly given Depo to change their hormonal urges.

One of my daughters friends gave her a shirt that no longer fit her, it made me cringe, its not something that even I would wear. It looked like something you would find on a hooker down on OBT. I am not a prude and am permissive where I feel its appropriate, but in the area of sexuality, thats just not the place to be free.

I was 12 when men started noticing me. I didn't look my age AT ALL. I had no idea what was really going on. I was grabbed a couple times but managed to get away. I have a picture of myself when I was 14, a friends boyfriend saw it and commented that I looked the opposite of innocent there. I informed him that I was only 14 in the picture and had never even seen a man naked, never mind had any idea of what to do with one had I found one naked. I look at least 21 in the picture. I fear my daughter is headed for the same thing.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:57 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,090 times
Quote:
Once again your giving the man a pass, he shouldn't HAVE to control himself because the female is dressing provocatively. THATS BS.
Men should be expected to behave appropriately even if someone is walking down the street buck naked.
I don't know what the "once again" comment means.

If you are talking about LOOKING a man is going to look if a female, even young, is dressed provocatively. You can be as outraged as you like. Does not change reality.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:00 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,090 times
Quote:

Your WERE originally commenting about LOOKING. Rape and sexual assault are crimes. What the victim wears may indeed attract an assault.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:28 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,477,811 times
Just have your daughters get hair cuts like and dress like bull dyke lesbians and no man will want to look at them! Geeessh! All men are deviants now?
So a man cant look at a girl and think to himself "wow, shes pretty?" he MUST have pedophlic or sexual thoughts on his mind? Sounds like paranoia. And dont tell me that i dont understand because i am a man. I raised 3 daughters by myself. i know how men think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting