U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-03-2017, 03:06 AM
 
172 posts, read 70,733 times
Reputation: 323

Advertisements

My son is 15 and has to my knowledge never been in a relationship before.
He told us he liked boys a year ago but even after that didn't try to date anyone. And we have been supportive. I have nothing against homosexuality although if I'm honest I wish he wasn't.

Now he has told me how he thought boy at our church was really cute and interesting. I always thought it would be unlikely he'd be gay too so I wasn't too worried.

Despite the unlikeliness it looks like he is and is also interested in my son.
My son told me they were dating a week ago and I really want to put an end to it.
The other boy's parents don't really share our beliefs/morals. I wouldn't trust them to oversee the two of them properly. The boy is also way too young at only 12 and my son's friends are pretty against it too.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2017, 03:32 AM
 
Location: Left coast
2,321 posts, read 915,232 times
Reputation: 3187
You could let him know that regardless of his sexuality and gender preferences, you think that 12 is too early to be dating (which is common enough) for the other boy- I do not think you can "stop" kids from having sexual feelings (gay or not, it happens). You can have a discussion about safety- i.e. universal precautions, and consent, etc...
You can advise him to be "friends" not romantic partners.... but that still - even if he concedes - is postponing things....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2017, 03:44 AM
 
Location: North State (California)
13,597 posts, read 1,464,244 times
Reputation: 6901
I agree, 12 is too young to be dating, no matter sexual preference. Tell him to be friends & maybe not allow him to the other house, if you think the other parents won't supervise them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2017, 04:33 AM
 
172 posts, read 70,733 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
You could let him know that regardless of his sexuality and gender preferences, you think that 12 is too early to be dating (which is common enough) for the other boy- I do not think you can "stop" kids from having sexual feelings (gay or not, it happens). You can have a discussion about safety- i.e. universal precautions, and consent, etc...
You can advise him to be "friends" not romantic partners.... but that still - even if he concedes - is postponing things....
One of the problems is that the 12 year old has dated before and his parents are quite encouraging of this. I don't know many details but it does disturb me that he has being so young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2017, 06:29 AM
 
1,258 posts, read 903,422 times
Reputation: 3938
12 years old is way to young to be dating anyone let alone a 15 yr old, sexual preference doesn't matter. Don't let him go to the other child's house, don't encourage any type of dating situation. Explain that there is a big maturity gap between 12 and 15 year olds. Do your best to not allow any alone time. Unfortunately you won't be able to stop any sexual feelings from happening, and you will only be postponing a relationship if they are determined to have one. Hopefully one or both will lose interest before it becomes sexual. I hope you have spoke to your son about safe sex. Having a honest frank discussion with him is not giving him permission it's giving him the tools he needs to make a educated decision now or in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2017, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
15,053 posts, read 14,342,914 times
Reputation: 34045
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
12 years old is way to young to be dating anyone let alone a 15 yr old, sexual preference doesn't matter. Don't let him go to the other child's house, don't encourage any type of dating situation. Explain that there is a big maturity gap between 12 and 15 year olds. Do your best to not allow any alone time. Unfortunately you won't be able to stop any sexual feelings from happening, and you will only be postponing a relationship if they are determined to have one. Hopefully one or both will lose interest before it becomes sexual. I hope you have spoke to your son about safe sex. Having a honest frank discussion with him is not giving him permission it's giving him the tools he needs to make a educated decision now or in the future.
good points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2017, 07:27 AM
 
2,941 posts, read 1,224,934 times
Reputation: 8230
The other boy is 12??????


Gay, straight, bi, green, red purple. NO WAY. NO. HOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2017, 07:40 AM
 
172 posts, read 70,733 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
12 years old is way to young to be dating anyone let alone a 15 yr old, sexual preference doesn't matter. Don't let him go to the other child's house, don't encourage any type of dating situation. Explain that there is a big maturity gap between 12 and 15 year olds. Do your best to not allow any alone time. Unfortunately you won't be able to stop any sexual feelings from happening, and you will only be postponing a relationship if they are determined to have one. Hopefully one or both will lose interest before it becomes sexual. I hope you have spoke to your son about safe sex. Having a honest frank discussion with him is not giving him permission it's giving him the tools he needs to make a educated decision now or in the future.
They have played video games together before I knew they were "dating".
My son has a rule that his door must always be open if he's with friends in his bed room and either I or my husband must be there.

In regards to sex - my son knows he should not be having it.
I'm worried by going against this he may just rebel and go behind my back. I'm pleased he's been so open with me so far. I've told him I don't want them dating but my husband thinks I'm being a little unfair.

The other boy is a bit strange - clever and educationally a few grades ahead. My son doesn't really see it the way I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2017, 07:54 AM
 
1,258 posts, read 903,422 times
Reputation: 3938
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftSleepyKitten View Post
They have played video games together before I knew they were "dating".
My son has a rule that his door must always be open if he's with friends in his bed room and either I or my husband must be there.

In regards to sex - my son knows he should not be having it.
I'm worried by going against this he may just rebel and go behind my back. I'm pleased he's been so open with me so far. I've told him I don't want them dating but my husband thinks I'm being a little unfair.

The other boy is a bit strange - clever and educationally a few grades ahead. My son doesn't really see it the way I do.
Reality check: your son knowing he shouldn't be having sex is not going to stop him from having sex. I hope you have addressed oral sex and the fact that even if there is no penetration it's still sex and he should protect himself from diseases. Teach him to protect himself always. No alone time in the bedroom even with an open door policy. Unfortunately if they want to have sex they will find a way. It only takes a few minutes!! Reiterate that abstinence is the best choice at this point but also educate him so he is protected. If you give him all the information and guidance you can and are vigilant about about supervision, then you have done all you can. At some point we have to trust that the values we have tried to teach our children will come through and they will make a responsible decision. Encourage open communication no matter how uncomfortable it might be.

Last edited by ccc123; 09-03-2017 at 08:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2017, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Texas Progressive
2,629 posts, read 2,610,614 times
Reputation: 5746
Let your son know that you trust him and that he can talk to you about what is going on. At the same time, he needs to understand that, regardless of how he feels about the other boy, 12 is too young for a 15 year old to be intimate with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top