Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 06:29 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
From the pictures, you can tell a lot of the kids are either laughing, or trying not to laugh. They're in on the joke. There are no hurt feelings. Obviously if this is something that would hurt your kid's feelings, then its not the type of silly picture to take on the first day of school.
When I see photographs connected to articles like this I suspect that most are "posed and planned" photos taken by professional photographers. Look at how high in the air most of those parents are jumping. Even if a typical parent could jump that high it would be pretty amazing to be able to catch them mid-jump in a regular snapshot taking by their spouse or neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 06:38 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Its still a joke, even if you don't find it funny.

There is nothing "crass" about parents sending their children off to school. It doesn't mean the parents hate their children, don't like spending time with them, or whatever other wild thing some of the posters are coming up with to put down these parents. Its a normal thing that a lot of parents do each and every fall.

What is so wrong with these families wanting to have a little fun, and relieve some back to school stress? I get that it wouldn't help alleviate any stress for your children, but that is why you wouldn't take such a picture. Other families are different and enjoy goofing around with each other and taking these types of silly pictures. I'm sure there are plenty of things that you do in your family that wouldn't work in mine. But I wouldn't call you crass for it.... Different strokes for different folks, right?

Can't we just enjoy the fact that parents are having fun with their children without getting all judgmental over it?

And considering I'm not one of the posters getting bothered by a joke, family pictures taken in good fun, I'm not really understanding why you think I'm the one who needs to chill.
You need to chill bc NOBODY was bothered by the joke.

You're hallucinating offended people.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:23 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
When I see photographs connected to articles like this I suspect that most are "posed and planned" photos taken by professional photographers. Look at how high in the air most of those parents are jumping. Even if a typical parent could jump that high it would be pretty amazing to be able to catch them mid-jump in a regular snapshot taking by their spouse or neighbor.
I thought it was just me. You can easily edit that though, or angle a camera to make it look like higher. If they are professional, the professionals need to go back to training because they aren't good quality. But I was thinking...man they must all be cheerleading coaches. Id get like 2 inches off the ground and my boobs would hit me in the face.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You need to chill bc NOBODY was bothered by the joke.

You're hallucinating offended people.
Oh? Here's what I said on a different forum when someone posted "no on said. . ." (edited for relevancy to this thread):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Maybe we should start a thread about "Pet Peeves on CD". MY pet peeve is that with any contentious topic, on any forum of CD, someone will come along and say "No one said 'XYZ' ", when a post with 'XYZ' is a few posts upthread.
Examples:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My kids would be heartbroken if I did that. But they both had anxiety about starting so it would be very hurtful to them. They were even happy about going back, just anxious. They also would feel sad if they felt like I was happy to get rid of them.

I know it's meant as a joke...I tend not to like jokes at the expense of kids. But perhaps all the kids enjoyed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
OMG. You only joke like this if your kids know it is a joke and also think it is funny. Sometimes being too serious can actually increase anxiety and hurt.
Quote:
People are allowed not to find jokes funny. Not everyone has the same sense of humor. And many people find some types of humor crass. So chill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Eh. Even if I'm relieved on the inside to get back to the structure and order of the school year (and not be paying out the nose for day camp anymore), there's just no way I'd hurt their feelings by making a BFD about it.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I thought it was just me. You can easily edit that though, or angle a camera to make it look like higher. If they are professional, the professionals need to go back to training because they aren't good quality. But I was thinking...man they must all be cheerleading coaches. Id get like 2 inches off the ground and my boobs would hit me in the face.
The pictures are obviously staged and possibly photoshopped as well.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:12 AM

723 posts, read 570,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
>

That was HILarious. THANK YOU
Thank goodness, I am not alone! LOL

I was getting ready to take my beautiful #1 son back to college, I begged him to let me take a nice picture of him that morning, and this is what I got...
Attached Thumbnails
Moms And Dads Post That Horrible Moment Their Kids Go Back To School-img_20170819_141644-s.jpg  

Old 09-06-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oh gosh, I love my children to pieces, but it's really nice to have time alone. I've been a mom for twenty-one years, and I not feeling the least bit guilty about relishing the quickly approaching empty nest stage. After they're all gone for a few years, I'll be ready to dive back in with grandchildren, but for now, this is heaven.
Empty nest is great!

Old 09-06-2017, 08:28 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Empty nest is great!

Agree!

Lighten up folks. "Crass"? Really? My guess is these very same parents that have the audacity to celebrate the beginning of the school year, also celebrate the end of the school year and spend a fair amount of time in their children's schools. It is not reflective of how much (little?) you care about or enjoy being with your kids. Please. If you enjoy a vacation does it mean you necessarily hate your job? Or, as RP mentioned, enjoying your spouse being away on a business trip doesn't indicate a troubled marriage.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:33 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Empty nest is great!
I'm thinking so, too. I really do adore my children, and I enjoy spending time with them, but it's a joy to see them launching into their own independent lives. I expected to be torn up when my second left for college, but I was a lot less grief-stricken than I thought I'd be.

It's funny now when I see the kindergarten cry-in at the elementary school down the street. Yes, that's a thing. I just want to shake them and tell them that this is a good transition and that their children will thrive in school. But looking back, I recognize that it's a stage we all have to experience. Maybe because I'm older, I can see the humor in those photographs. It's not so emotional to me at this stage, and I know how great it is not to have young children talking your ear off all darn day.

Last edited by randomparent; 09-06-2017 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: typos -- apparently I can't type or proofread effectively today

Old 09-06-2017, 08:51 AM

I do recall quite a hue and cry among the parents at my kids' elementary school (long after they were out, mind you) when the school scheduled an inservice day the day kids were supposed to go back to school after winter break. The principal explained it was the only day they could get the speaker and she thought that parents would like the extra day for "travel". The district has since harmonized the inservice days school to school and put them in the calendar at the beginning of the year. No more "site based management", ie, letting the schools wing it individually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting