Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 05:23 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
These people are not truly your friends if they allow their child to act horribly over and over, especially in front of you, and at your home. Furthermore, they are not truly your friends if you fear being politely upfront with them.

Distancing yourself from them sounds like no great loss.
THIS!!!!!!!!

Omg, who are the parents here? I would prefer to be friendless than to put up with this bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 05:30 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
My one nephew could be this kid! okay he is actually my nieces son....but gosh that kid is over energized and since he is always told how "special" a young lad he is. He is adopted and is constantly reminded how they each chose each other. WHile I surely didn't chose this kid to behave with such selfishness in other folks home. Granted he does take after my niece, where her middle name is "Entitled".

Poor kid though...is going to get a rude awakening in the career world...He won't be so special then....

My niece will not take off her blinders where his behavior is concerned. Its everyone else that has the problem in her mind.....

Old 09-09-2017, 08:18 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post

Ah, I see... So this is a 55 and up party?
Hey...I'm all of those things--55, a mom and do drink after 9 p.m.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:24 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
Thanks convextech. That would be our last option since these guys are kinda senior members in the group and kicking them out will be like pissing off other group members as well since they are all long term friends and hang out together more frequently than us. But again, they should raise their kids better regardless.
If you can't uninvited them, lock up everything. All the rooms. Make one area they can be in.

Explain why if adults ask HONESTLY and straightforwardly.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:50 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,183 times
11 -12 year old kids should not be left alone with 4 - 5 year old kids for 6 - 8 hours.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:25 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
This sounds like a boozy bash for uninvolved dads, or something close to it, since you said it was very early morning by the time the guests departed.

Were the unsupervised kids of widely varying ages expected to play all night? Did any of them get to sleep, or did they maybe just flop down on the floor? How about food? Were they fed proper meals or snacks, or did they forage or just wait until the party was over? What were they expected to do while the grown-ups were partying? Were there any planned activities? Movies? Games? Place for the little ones to nap?

Lots of red flags in this tale of negligent parenting. No wonder the older boy is acting out - he is crying out for attention, and will continue to do so and will escalate his inappropriate behavior until he gets it.

The excuses that you cannot supervise the children or hire a baby-sitter make no sense. Someone needs to be the adult here and be responsible.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 09-10-2017 at 07:35 AM..

Old 09-10-2017, 09:33 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
The obvious solution is to hire a sitter or two for the evening. And there's no way in hell I'd leave my 5-year-old unattended for hours with 10-12 year-olds who don't recognize or respect boundaries.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:25 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
This sounds like a boozy bash for uninvolved dads, or something close to it, since you said it was very early morning by the time the guests departed.

Were the unsupervised kids of widely varying ages expected to play all night? Did any of them get to sleep, or did they maybe just flop down on the floor? How about food? Were they fed proper meals or snacks, or did they forage or just wait until the party was over? What were they expected to do while the grown-ups were partying? Were there any planned activities? Movies? Games? Place for the little ones to nap?

Lots of red flags in this tale of negligent parenting. No wonder the older boy is acting out - he is crying out for attention, and will continue to do so and will escalate his inappropriate behavior until he gets it.

The excuses that you cannot supervise the children or hire a baby-sitter make no sense. Someone needs to be the adult here and be responsible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow;
The obvious solution is to hire a sitter or two for the evening. And there's no way in hell I'd leave my 5-year-old unattended for hours with 10-12 year-olds who don't recognize or respect boundaries.
After reading about the details of the situation (kindergarten/first-graders and 11-yr-olds thrown together into a situation for 8 hrs.? Really?), and the responses, I'm going to echo some of the good suggestions.

First of all, I can't help but wonder why these parents don't hire their own babysitters to watch the kids in their own homes. Are they cheap? Or lazy? Or don't know any baby-sitters? Someone should speak up, and acknowledge that one huge play group of mixed ages allowed to have the run of the house wherever they end up each month (really?? They're allowed to just roam around anywhere in other people's homes all night?) isn't working out. And 7-8 hours is way too long to expect kids to amuse themselves. 2-3 hours for a dinner party is one thing, but 8 hours? This does sound like neglectful parenting.

Honestly, I don't know if you'd be able to find a babysitter who would take on a group of kids for 8 hours. Possibly if you could get two sitters who were friends, and they could work as a team, with one of them providing structured play for the younger group, it might work, but it also seems like a lot to ask of the hosts, to organize two different playspaces, by age group, organize meals for kids throughout an 8-hr. period, as well as providing hospitality for a group of adults. Not to mention expecting the host couple to clean up the inevitable wreckage the next day.

Perhaps the group could consider two separate homes for two age groups, and a sitter for each? This way, the smaller kids could go to bed at whatever their bed-time is, and the older kids could have their own bedtime, and no one has an unmanageable horde to deal with.

Otherwise, the situation is simply unrealistic. The expectations for a group of unsupervised kids during an 8-hr. completely unstructured play period are unreasonable.

If the other parents have no qualms about essentially abandoning their kids for 8 hours, and you feel you can't discuss the arrangement with them to find one that works better (without accusing any specific kid, but presenting it as a general principle that kids need more supervision for such a long period), then you might want to reconsider whether these are the kind of people you want to be friends with.

Good luck, and let us know how it all turns out.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-10-2017 at 11:46 AM..

Old 09-11-2017, 10:15 AM

192 posts, read 131,106 times
An easy solution is to hire a sitter or two, and the expectation is that kids need to bring a sleeping bag + mat. There needs to be a bedtime at some point, and the sitter will be there to facilitate this. Then when the parents leave at 1am, they can go grab and wake up their own kids.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:05 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezball View Post
An easy solution is to hire a sitter or two, and the expectation is that kids need to bring a sleeping bag + mat. There needs to be a bedtime at some point, and the sitter will be there to facilitate this. Then when the parents leave at 1am, they can go grab and wake up their own kids.
Or they could just do what most parents do and get their own sitters and leave their kids at home. If its a family event it ends at a family time (8pm...maybe 9). 1am is an adult event. People get babysitters and leave their kids home for adult parties.

To compensate a baby sitter for 7 children (fairly) would be at least $50 an hour. What people did to me when I was a early teen is have me come over and just keep adding kids. And then I would get the same pay at the end of the night. If each family has to pay about $10 an hour anyways, might as well get a sitter. Sitting a large group of kids in the middle of a lot of energy (the parents get together) is a bloody nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting