Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 07:59 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
One of the kids has a heat allergy. We've actually had to make a plan for what to do if the power's ever out for more than an hour or two in the summer, or if the AC has to be repaired, because she gets hives all over, starts losing her voice and gets very nauseated. So no hot garage for her, we'd end up in the ER.
I meant it more in the way that picking a punishment affects them more than taking away the cell phone for a weekend or taking away a game console

get a portable a/c unit? they have miniature ones that run off battery now but those are evaporating coolers so the humidity might become an issue over long term
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 08:46 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,444 times
Default Teens Today

They are not like the teen I was w fake Ids going to tons of punk clubs. Walking in the woods w random people to just hang...Enjoying nature.
I do think the parents raised some soft idiots these days that are not even allowed to CLIMB a tree in fear of falling (isn't that the fun of it for boys)? It is insane the paranoia the parents have so I couple it w that and the addiction to the internet w the latest apps. They are soft kids.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:44 PM

776 posts, read 394,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY_ME View Post
They are not like the teen I was w fake Ids going to tons of punk clubs. Walking in the woods w random people to just hang...Enjoying nature.
I do think the parents raised some soft idiots these days that are not even allowed to CLIMB a tree in fear of falling (isn't that the fun of it for boys)? It is insane the paranoia the parents have so I couple it w that and the addiction to the internet w the latest apps. They are soft kids.
Parents, schools, politicians, bureaucrats, the UN, the WHO, lobbyists, advocacy groups, etc. dreamed of a smoke-free, teetotaling, and sexually abstinent generation. They got their wish.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:53 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,444 times
Default hood vs burbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
Parents, schools, politicians, bureaucrats, the UN, the WHO, lobbyists, advocacy groups, etc. dreamed of a smoke-free, teetotaling, and sexually abstinent generation. They got their wish.
U are right, in the burbs they are afraid to talk w one another in person. Text only.
In the HOOD seems they have less social issues and pregnancy still occurs in teens.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:27 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Lets go back to the links posted, we find the following.

Children of the i-Generation are safer but more mentally unstable than their millennial predecessors.

These kids that spend 3 or more hours a day on those electronic devices, are 35 percent more likely to have a risk factor for suicide, such as making a suicide plan.

Since 2007, the homicide rate among teenagers has declined, but the suicide rate has increased meaning that for the first time in almost quarter of a century, young people are more likely to kill themselves than they are one another.

In other words, the teens today are less mentally stable than in the past. Spending so much time in the internet and other electronic devices, increase the percentage of kids that commit suicide due to this due to not being mentally as stable as in the past.

Other factors, is today's young people live at home with their parents far more than they did in the past, and are not able to or wanting to be on their own.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:57 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY_ME View Post
I do think the parents raised some soft idiots these days that are not even allowed to CLIMB a tree in fear of falling (isn't that the fun of it for boys)?
Why just boys?

Old 09-14-2017, 04:46 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
If they are so "obedient" explain the heroin epidemic.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:44 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Why are people always on tangents about how awful the next generation is? Honestly, it is so strange and I don't understand it. Just because something is different, doesn't make it worse. All generations have problems and all generations have strengths. And it is still a sweeping generalization that ends up much ado about nothing.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:59 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
This is intereresting to me as well. My own kids - almost teens - are so much more rule-bound than I was, so much more risk-averse. I guess it's good in some ways but also kind of annoying. They act like we're going to get arrested if we break any rules!
This plus a million. We call ours our moral compass. Even pre-teen if we were in the car and driving, if I would car seat dance to the radio, she'd squeel if I took my hands off the steering wheel. For the life of me, I could never get her on a bicycle. She's just extremely risk adverse. She's a good kid, but also lazy and horrified by the concept of making mistakes in anything outside of studies. She pulled straight A's last year.

My hypothesis is that online slacking has made many of the traditional extra-curricular activities go from something done for fun to becoming something people do if they want extra work, and something one has to do for college acceptance later and that's all. There's no curiosity about what something might be. Also, individual groups no longer have the mass appeal. Friend groups seem much smaller, fluid and less tight. The frequency of tattle-taling is off the charts at her school.

Plus, in an era of hyper specialization of extra-curricula activities early on, the nascent I'd like to join this and see how it goes is gone. Everything is filled with those who have been doing it privately since early years and it skips most of the fun part and jumps right into competition lead by teaching staff looking for the win.

Even at house parties, it's not all that unusual for the kids to run around with one another at first, but they frequently then break down into their own technology viewing areas...seemingly ignoring one another, but still interacting. Showing each other things etc.

Dunno...brave new world out there I guess.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:04 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
I think the economy is a factor that hasn't been mentioned. If you want to make a living for yourself nowadays, you need to study hard and get into college and earn a degree in the right field. You can't easily just screw around in school until you're 18 and then stumble into a union pipefitting job. Globalization in general and the 2008 recession in particular have added a level of life-or-death seriousness to education. Kids today know that goofing off in grade school will set them back for life and lead to homelessness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
If they are so "obedient" explain the heroin epidemic.
Same as above, basically. Stress and depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting