Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 08:40 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,957 times

Advertisements

I don't usually post in parenting but this thread caught my eye when I was browsing the topics page.

How is this a bad thing? Maybe I'm biased, but I was a lot like what they are saying today's kids are like. I was a very obedient teen. Got good grades, listened to my parents, and probably spent what people consider too much time alone (usually with the computer or playing video games). I still did activities like Girl Scouts, camping, band, etc... but kids do that now too. My parents didn't beat me or hit me. They didn't have to in any case, I wanted to be a good kid.

I also stayed home until I was 26, but I had a job and was paying off college debt. I loved living with my parents, but I still felt a call for my own place. I am probably risk adverse (except when it comes to investing).

I'd say my life is happy and good. I have a job that's good (love where I work and the people I work with), bought a house, have a nice nest egg in the form of retirement savings and other investments, no debt since the student loan was paid off (aside from my mortgage), and I have an awesome boyfriend.

I have a brother too and he was about the same as me. He used to be so obedient he'd lecture mom on speeding. She was a leadfoot. The biggest difference is he's married now and has a kid.

Sure there have been downs too, but if I had a teen, I'd want that teen to be like I was because it lead me to happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 09:16 PM

776 posts, read 393,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
How is this a bad thing?
I didn't say it is.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:38 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
Maybe the high crime rates of 1965-1996 have something to do with this?
Perhaps. But its unhealthy.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:47 AM

776 posts, read 393,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Perhaps. But its unhealthy.
I'm definitely in agreement with you on that.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:31 AM

36 posts, read 22,230 times
I see the exact opposite. Kids were much more obedient in the past because they had punishment and consequences.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:42 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
I do see less use of drugs and alcohol in the kids I know. Some are raised with parents who expect them to be more responsible, go to college and get good jobs. That is great for the kids who are "college" material but bad for the kids who are not. Others I know have parents who are way too protective and won't let them do "anything". Those are the ones I worry about most. They are way too dependent on their parents and are not self sufficient nor do they have any self confidence. This is my experience from the kids I know.

Personally I think this may not be a good thing in the "long run". We seem to have more kids who fall into line and just do what is expected. They are not risk takers or rebellious. Maybe that is the sheeple society that we are creating. Not too many free thinkers come from that. Just a thought.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:46 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY_ME View Post
I meant that it should be assumed all wanted to do it. But you read it differently.
I did! Sorry

Old 09-15-2017, 09:48 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY_ME View Post
Calm down. Climb a tree. Read slowly what I said and please don't write me back. Thanks kindly. Lighten up. No caps.
Sorry, that was for emphasis. I probably should have used italics instead, but I'm used to posting on social media where that's not an option so I kind of forgot I could. No need to 'lighten up' and I'll write you back if I darn well please, especially if you're going to be snarky about it

Old 09-15-2017, 10:40 AM

537 posts, read 597,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This is actually kind of frightening. Did you mean it sarcastically? Because really, how awful for her to want to do nothing but lay in a big comfy bed in an air conditioned room watching TV.

I would think the child is actually profoundly bored. Profoundly.
Doesn't sound bored to me. I'm in my 40s and work from home so I rarely need to leave the house. It's common for me to never leave the house during the working week. There is so much entertainment at my fingertips in the forms of Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, e-books, video games, that it's impossible to get bored.

Admittedly I live in an area where there isn't much to do outside the house unless I want to eat out or go to a movie theater. Any decent park around here is at least a 20 min drive and I don't have time to drive an extra 40 mins during a week night. If I lived in Colorado or Seattle with easy access to nature trails I'm sure I'd go hiking outside every day.

So I do concur with most in this thread that kids these days simply aren't as bored as kids from previous generations. There is so much video and written content at our fingertips that it would take hundreds of thousands of years to watch/read it all. Previous generations were limited to a handful of books that they often had to re-read. Kids growing up today don't know what boredom is.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:02 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
So I do concur with most in this thread that kids these days simply aren't as bored as kids from previous generations. There is so much video and written content at our fingertips that it would take hundreds of thousands of years to watch/read it all. Previous generations were limited to a handful of books that they often had to re-read. Kids growing up today don't know what boredom is.
Yes, I was a voracious reader as a child and the limiting factor was the books I could get my hands on, even with regular library visits and the use of interlibrary loan. I have seen numbers suggesting that recreational reading is actually up among youth, which is think is attributable to the fact that you can get pretty much any book on any subject at any time. 12-year-old me would have killed for a Kindle.

I do think it's not super healthy to be constantly entertained, but at the same time, I think of some of the things we as youth did because we were bored and "making our own fun"...we almost got ourselves killed, lol. Video games and youtube are probably healthier than most of those shenanigans even if they're not optimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting