Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 04:56 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,258,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Let me take a guess here, you’re also Christian.
Wrong on this one too. However, now I bet you've managed to **** off the Christians too.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Yes, you are bashing me, and continue to do so by demanding that we defend our choice. I don’t have to defend my choice to not breed.
Looks like you’re a bit defensive about your choice, though.
You bet I'm defensive about my choice! I absolutely take it personal when people insinuate that my three children are not special, that they are adding to the overpopulation of the world, that they in some way have caused me to settle. All these statements may be your reasons for not having children, but they are insulting to those of us who have families.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:12 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,239,057 times
Excuse me, you choose to misread a lot, don't you.
I said kids are not special except to their parents. Your kids are not special to me.
They are adding to the overpopulation of the world.
I never said you settled.

Why would my opinion FOR ME have any effect on you? You choose to be offended by what I choose? How very sensitive of you.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Excuse me, you choose to misread a lot, don't you.
I said kids are not special except to their parents. Your kids are not special to me.
They are adding to the overpopulation of the world.
I never said you settled.

Why would my opinion FOR ME have any effect on you? You choose to be offended by what I choose? How very sensitive of you.
I don't know which childless person made which statement, I just know that these statements were made and I found them offensive.

So, what would you suggest the world do - stop reproducing? Is this the answer to your so-called overpopulation question?

Perhaps we should stop treating certain illnesses like diabetes, cancer, etc. That would surely help with overpopulation - survival of the fitest. Good solution?

Old 03-18-2008, 05:28 AM

932 posts, read 1,269,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
Perhaps we should stop treating certain illnesses like diabetes, cancer, etc. That would surely help with overpopulation - survival of the fitest. Good solution?
hey kristy, im with you. I don't pretend to say other kids aren't special to ME, but that doesn't make them special over all- these kids will be the docotors, policemen, etc of the future. you bet they are all special!!!

Hope one of the very 'unspecial' children isn't the doctor that saves this persons life.

or the nurse responsible for changing your underwear when your in a nursing home

or the police officer that responds when your home is broken into and you're attacked

or the banker who notices an indescrepancey in your spending, due to identity theft

or the stranger at a restaurant who knows the Heimlich or CPR and saves your life

Old 03-18-2008, 05:29 AM

Personally, I feel that most people shouldn't breed. But I'm not trying to force my opinions on you for any reason, especially by law.

Do what you want but respect others enough to let them choose their right path. That's never for anyone else to decide.

And most kids will grow up to be average adults, not the brain surgeon; but someone, like most of us who trudges through life, laughs, cries, is happy, is sad. Just what normal people do. It's not good, it's not bad, it's not special. It just is.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Personally, I feel that most people shouldn't breed.
Why not?

Seriously, with all due respect, I am not judgeing here, I just truly am curious why you feel this way.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:21 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,535,821 times
Quote:
Personally, I feel that most people shouldn't breed. But I'm not trying to force my opinions on you for any reason, especially by law.

Do what you want but respect others enough to let them choose their right path. That's never for anyone else to decide.
I have to jump in here. I have absolutely no problem with people making the decision to remain child-free. Children are not for everyone, and recognizing that is one of the most responsible things one can do. I hate to see unwanted children. (The author of this book is a perfect example.)

At the same time, your comment "I feel most people shouldn't breed" seems very judgemental towards parents, the same ones you claim are not respecting your decisions. Have you met most people? I am the first one to agree that some people have no business having kids, certainley the ones who can't provide a loving and stable home for their kids. But most people? You don't know me nor do you know what kind of a parent I am.

And to say that people who have kids are overpopulating the world? We are not living in a third world country here. Again, comments like that seem very judgemental towards parents. People need to live and let live. Children are for some, but they aren't for everyone. No need to insult others choices.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:35 AM

I think that most parents aren't effective parents teaching their kids how to live on their own.

I think there are too many people on this planet and that the crass consumption of goods (especially plastic) and the debris harms the environment. The US consumes more junk than most of the rest of the world.

I think most parents don't look past their own wants and needs when they choose (or not choose) to have kids.

I think that being the default, most parents don't even think about why they're having kids and this results in abuse, neglect, gangs, petty criminal acts, of their offspring in order to get attention.

A large number of people give more thought to buying a car or big screen TV than to why they have kids. And it frequently shows.

A lot of parents expect the government to censor TV, radio, etc., etc. "for the children," and don't take basic responsibility for their kids. The child fetish in the US is very creepy.

A good percentage of parents try to mold their kids into what they could/should/would have been themselves neglecting to see, accept, nurture what the kid really is.

A lot of people have kids not realizing that it takes time, money and patience to raise them. Things that they clearly don't possess, yet they don't see the harm that can come to their kids from a Maslov view. They don't care or are so unthinking that it is almost criminal to bring a kid into the world.

Personally, I chose not to breed (a word I use for myself) because I just don't have the interest and to bring a child into the world you need a serious commitment and certainty that this is what you truly want. I'd never have that.

I've worked in shelters and I've seen what bad parenting can be and lead to.

Was my childhood bad, absolutely not. I watched my parents struggle financially and didn't want my life to be like that. I got the travel bug at an early age and find great joy in learning new cultures; having a child would not permit me to enjoy the life I want to live.
sbd, it was not to judge others and I'm not asking them to change a thing. It is my opinion and my opinion only; my reasons are personal and stated above. We are part of the world and what we do in the US affects the rest of the world. We don't live in an insular society; we are all part of the collective group. It is not us v. them; it is all of us.

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-18-2008 at 06:47 AM..

Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
The child fetish in the US is very creepy.
Huh?

It's creepy to do what comes so naturally - raise a family? How can it be creepy to focus on and nuture the next generation? Again, I don't understand what you expect to happen if most people stop having children?
Quote:
having a child would not permit me to enjoy the life I want to live
And NOT having children would not permit ME to enjoy the life I want to live.
Quote:
A lot of people have kids not realizing that it takes time, money and patience to raise them. Things that they clearly don't possess,
I have all three of these things, so does that mean I pass and should be allowed to 'breed'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.