U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 05:11 PM

86,004 posts, read 100,854,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This is a question for parents only. Have you ever encountered a situation where your child's teacher, didn't like your child or treated him/her unfairly? And why do you think that was? And how did you deal with it?
I do not recall any situations where my kids were treated "unfairly". While raising my kids, I was not heavily into the "fairness" thing anyway, meaning everything "tit for tat". I think most teachers intentionally try to be very fair. The kids, OTOH, may not always see it that way.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 04:32 PM

1,081 posts, read 728,749 times
Regardless whether the teacher likes a child or not they are still professionals and should keep their feelings to themselves.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:54 PM

1,675 posts, read 709,455 times
We had three children in public school through high school and this issue never came up. When I was in 7th grade I had a teacher who hated me and my mother told me the teacher was wrong, I was right, but I had to deal with it. When I was in grade school in the 1950's it was Catholic school. In those days teachers administered corporal punishment, slaps in the face, your chewing gum stuck in your hair then having a big patch of hair cut off with shears at the end of the day, a wooden dowel swung ten times across the fingertips (f ive times per hand). It toughened us up. Like another poster said, it's a lerning experience. In life you run into sadistic bosses, co workers who dislike you for no reason, you need to learn to handle those situations and people, rather than run from them or look for an authority figure to protect you.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:42 PM

13,032 posts, read 13,433,919 times
there was a 3rd grade teacher who pointed out one of my sons was passive aggressive, she described the situations, and she was right. I actually appreciated her taking the time to not only observe the dynamic over time, but to describe it to me as well. I felt it came from a place of concern. She was very no nonsense and professional about it.

another time a 6th grade teacher pointed out one of my sons (different son) was very smart, did great in his work, but was an instigator. He said he is disruptive in class but is able to not get caught. again, he was absolutely correct. and again it came from a place of concern. this time not so much for how it affected the class, but he said it could potentially lead to some dangerous or illegal situations where someone got hurt or injured, that type of warning. he was right. that son walked a fine line in that regard.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:21 PM

12,733 posts, read 15,025,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This is a question for parents only. Have you ever encountered a situation where your child's teacher, didn't like your child or treated him/her unfairly? And why do you think that was? And how did you deal with it?
Oh yeh!!!...the treating unfairly part
Why???you'd have to ask the teacher that....maybe because they can
I spoke with them face to face and put an immediate end to the wrongdoing.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:04 AM

8,420 posts, read 3,317,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
We had three children in public school through high school and this issue never came up. When I was in 7th grade I had a teacher who hated me and my mother told me the teacher was wrong, I was right, but I had to deal with it. When I was in grade school in the 1950's it was Catholic school. In those days teachers administered corporal punishment, slaps in the face, your chewing gum stuck in your hair then having a big patch of hair cut off with shears at the end of the day, a wooden dowel swung ten times across the fingertips (f ive times per hand). It toughened us up. Like another poster said, it's a lerning experience. In life you run into sadistic bosses, co workers who dislike you for no reason, you need to learn to handle those situations and people, rather than run from them or look for an authority figure to protect you.
See, I don't agree with that.

It's one thing to suffer honest misunderstandings, or prickery people's personalities. Everyone needs to learn to do that. And needs to learn to accept some degree of authority they disagree with, simply because that's the chain of command.

But very punitive schools with cruel teachers teach two lessons that are extremely negative: they teach children to accept abuse as due course, and teach them to ignore it when they witness other helpless people being abused.

It teaches a 3rd lesson to adults. If you enjoy abusing people, teaching small children is the profession for you.

As an adult, there's no call to put up with a sadistic boss. None at all. That's a recipe for a miserable life.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:16 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,725,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Last one- the teachers in lower grade levels will often tell you about kids on your roster. (I honestly hated this- I liked forming my own opinion. I never asked any of them for opinions prior to the beginning of the year. Now, a few weeks in if I was having issues, I'd go ask if they had similar issues and what they did to overcome them.) One year I had a girl on my list who I had heard about for years. Everyone loved her. She was everyone's favorite. I could not stand this child. She drove me crazy. She was one of the type that tries too hard. (Well, that was just her, but that is what it felt like.) Ms. J- do you want me to do this for you? I will do this if you want me to. Do you need me to erase the board? I can help you do this if you want. Do you want me to take this to the office? I love the shirt you are wearing. This was all day long, every day. The kid did not have an off button and she drove me absolutely insane. She, to this day, has no idea how much I disliked having her in class. I was so glad when the year was over and I could send her on. All the other teachers loved her since she was such a great helper and followed the rules all the time. Not me. I practically rejoiced if she was absent. If you do the math, teachers have a lot of students over the years. There will be personality conflicts. She was one for me. But I always smiled and responded. I allowed her to do things for me sometimes, because it made her feel good. But not every time- she got some responses like "It is Mikey's turn to do that today. You did it yesterday." To this day, she thinks I loved her as much as all the other teachers did. She has no idea that on the last day as I hugged her goodbye "Thank God this is over" was what I was thinking in my head. **I will note- she is/was a good kid. I never wished any ill will toward her. We just weren't compatible personality wise.

That was a very good post. You are not a bad teacher, and that girl that you described is not a bad kid, but you and she are both human, and just had personalities that clashed. Unlike many other teachers, you went out of your way to treat her fairly. While I certainly agree that students have to learn how to deal with teachers that they don't like, it needs to work both ways. The onus should not be entirely on the student. Teachers need to try to get along with students that they don't connect with, and it sounds like you did a good job with that girl.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:21 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,725,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
See, I don't agree with that.

It's one thing to suffer honest misunderstandings, or prickery people's personalities. Everyone needs to learn to do that. And needs to learn to accept some degree of authority they disagree with, simply because that's the chain of command.

But very punitive schools with cruel teachers teach two lessons that are extremely negative: they teach children to accept abuse as due course, and teach them to ignore it when they witness other helpless people being abused.

Very well said. Thank you. Kids need to learn to choose their battles, rather than unilaterally being told that life isn't fair. There is a huge difference between a teacher that has a teaching style that may not be the student's favorite, or may be a little more strict than the student likes, versus a teacher who is truly abusive. It is important for students to learn the difference.

Quote:
It teaches a 3rd lesson to adults. If you enjoy abusing people, teaching small children is the profession for you.

Another excellent point. I have a feeling that many of the teachers that I had were victims of corporal punishment for minor offenses when they were students, and they resented the fact that they were unable to dish the same out to their students, to they instead resorted to emotional abuse of students.

Quote:
As an adult, there's no call to put up with a sadistic boss. None at all. That's a recipe for a miserable life.
Absolutely! A boss who used corporal punishment on an adult employee would be arrested for assault. Why is it that so many people support allowing adults to abuse defenseless children, when doing the same to an adult is assault?

Old Today, 12:30 AM

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
My kindergarten teacher HATED me. She wanted to flunk me! My parents - both of them - fought with her and the principal over failing me. I wasn't behind in school. I was actually 3 grades ahead! I already knew everything she was teaching so I was bored. She didn't challenge me at all. So I would do silly little things like tap my pencil, draw on my paper because I was already done and the work was correct, etc. I wasn't disrespectful nor was I causing a disturbance.

My parents fought long and hard for her and the principal to pass me. I did go onto first grade when I was supposed to. I didn't have the same problem with my 1st grade teacher. She gave me things to challenge me. I was never bored in her class! She always made sure I had something to do even if it was just writing my spelling words 20 times instead of 10 times. Keeping me busy was the key to all of my fidgetiness.

Both of my parents still remember my kindergarten teacher and it's been many decades. My dad still calls her a witch! She's the only teacher he remembers......she was THAT bad!

This is exactly what my kids is going through now. My child is very smart, he does his school work but sometimes it's not completed because it's the same thing over and over. He gets in a trouble all the time. I also noticed his teacher hates him. She makes up lies to get him in trouble, like he misbehaves in the playground, some teacher saw him, me what's the name of teacher? Oh, I forgot. Are you serious? Cant prove it because she will deny everything. We had a huge fight over it and now i am a bad person for yelling at the teacher.But suddenly his behaviour got better. I also have a not so nice email from principal.. Glad, it's almost over. I hope she won't **** up my kid grades because I might choke her.

Old Today, 01:45 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,873,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftSleepyKitten View Post
How patronizing.

Actually, YOU were the one being patronizing. And I kind of wonder if you didn't say what you said to just stir the pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or