U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:49 AM

13,104 posts, read 17,640,353 times

Advertisements

when I was in elementary school I was struck by a car and was on a cane for more than two years and one of the teachers started imitating me to other students and teachers by limping and dragging their foot . It was a young male teacher and first year teaching . Well it just so happened that teacher took the public bus home every afternoon , well my grandfather took the same bus one day and told that teacher if he ever made fun of me again , my grandfather would meet him and shove his cane straight up his butt . I think he got the message because he never made gestures again . My father told me to call him ignorant if I ever caught him imitating me again .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 11:51 AM

912 posts, read 482,217 times
OP, be careful of the lesson you want to teach your child. Parts of life are not fair. Do you want your child to learn to cry whenever s/he feels they're treated unfairly? Or do you want them to learn how to make the best of the situation, how to persevere and overcome?

I raised three kids (now adults) and in one case, my eldest son felt he was being treated unfairly by his middle school teacher. I talked to and listened to him and learned his side of the story. And then I met with his teacher and found out her side of the story. I circled back to my son to share what the teacher told me, and we both agreed she was being mostly reasonable. But there also was (to me) a seeming 'personality clash' going on between them, at least in part on behalf of my son. We then, the three of us, met to talk things through. My son learned and accepted to meet her standards, and the teacher learned that my son genuinely wants to do the work and to meet her requirements. And she also knew that we as a family cared and weren't going to be quickly mad at her for any little thing. Throughout this, I tried hard to be as impartial as possible.

Was she as a teacher the best fit for my son? Probably not a great fit but that happens in life and I didn't want him learning to look for an escape from mildly uncomfortable situations. He has to work things out.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:52 AM

275 posts, read 108,617 times
Hello, i am teacher. I would like to say i like all student the same. But i would be lying. Disliking some kid is my reaction on his bad behavior, but it is not forever Still, in my opinion i have good relationship with all students, even with criminals.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:07 PM

6,433 posts, read 2,346,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolEuropeanGirly View Post
Do teachers really have time to form major dislikes against students?
Apparently, some of them do.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
OP, be careful of the lesson you want to teach your child. Parts of life are not fair. Do you want your child to learn to cry whenever s/he feels they're treated unfairly? Or do you want them to learn how to make the best of the situation, how to persevere and overcome?
I started this thread to ask questions. You know nothing about what I teach my child, whether he/she cries or not, or anything else.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:14 PM

13,104 posts, read 17,640,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cent0089 View Post
Hello, i am teacher. I would like to say i like all student the same. But i would be lying. Disliking some kid is my reaction on his bad behavior, but it is not forever Still, in my opinion i have good relationship with all students, even with criminals.

Yet you use the word criminals is that how you see some of your students with behavior problems ? this is exactly what some of us parents are talking about .

Old 09-22-2017, 12:15 PM

16,724 posts, read 13,670,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
You know nothing about what I teach my child, whether he/she cries or not, or anything else.
We can certainly surmise, since you say "Apparently some of them do", when I have yet to see a post that says they do.

Being defensive only proves that theory further.

Why not just say what the problem is? Maybe someone here can give you some decent advice instead of blind ammo against the teacher.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:34 PM

5,077 posts, read 6,227,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I cant get my daughter's teacher to find time to talk to me. She has learning disabilities and is lost in school right now because she is getting no assistance (new school/district). Teacher just tells me she will look at her schedule and get back to me. And then doesn't. Less then pleased.
That's unacceptable. Go over her head to the principal.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
We can certainly surmise, since you say "Apparently some of them do", when I have yet to see a post that says they do.

I've seen quite a few posts where people talk about difficulties with teachers. You might want to keep reading some more.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:39 PM

5,077 posts, read 6,227,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
My daughter was in a Christian preschool and had mandatory chapel on Friday mornings. She was 3-1/2 years old and her classmates ranged from 4 to 5 years of age. They had a new teacher who didn't seem to have much patience. One afternoon, when I picked up my daughter she was red-eyed and doing that chest-hitching sound that kids make when they've had a hard cry and she was sniffing and looking very sad. I asked her what was wrong and she said that the teacher hit her on the arm with a hairbrush.

When my pulse stopped racing, I went to directly to her classroom and asked the teacher what happened. She smirked and said "Oh, don't worry, I hit three other kids on their arms too because they were squirming in chapel." [Gee, kids squirming in church, what a surprise!] This was not a school where they were authorized to use corporal punishment to discipline the kids or I wouldn't have sent my daughter there in the first place.

I told "Ms. Hairbrush" that if she ever hit my little girl again, I would have to meet her after class with my own hairbrush in hand and that I might not be able to stop after one lick. I also informed the principal but nothing was ever done.

Anyway, the teacher never touched my daughter again, but she treated her roughly for a few weeks until she got to know her. She later told me that my daughter was a nice little girl and that she was sorry for what she had done.
I currently work in a Christian preschool. You should have gone straight to the director. I would have gone even further and called licensing. I would be fired. Period.

There are definitely bad teachers out there. And the good teachers (the vast majority) can't stand them either. We WANT you to report them.

But in my experience, most of the time, it's not the teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or