U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2017, 12:41 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,121 posts, read 39,212,961 times
Reputation: 40583

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yet you use the word criminals is that how you see some of your students with behavior problems ? this is exactly what some of us parents are talking about .
Likely because some of his students are criminals. Every single year of my career (30+) I had students who were on probation, home arrest with an ankle bracelet, on intensive supervision (which means the PO comes to the school), or were in school as part of their sentence.

Strangely enough, there were more students the above pertained to in the middle/upper middle class school than at the ghetto ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2017, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Slovakia
276 posts, read 109,037 times
Reputation: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yet you use the word criminals is that how you see some of your students with behavior problems ? this is exactly what some of us parents are talking about .
Hello, no i did not mean this way. I have some students with real criminal history in class, like drugs and robberies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 01:23 PM
 
Location: DFW/Texas
746 posts, read 625,941 times
Reputation: 2438
Our daughter began 2nd grade this year and my DH and I are not terribly thrilled with her teacher. This particular teacher is very focused on tests and scores and we feel as if the love of learning may be getting muddled some. The homework is piling up and there have already been several episodes of our daughter getting upset because she has to do yet another worksheet or assignment after completing several others.

I let her teacher know that we are NOT going to allow our daughter to get to the point of tears when it comes to homework. She's freaking 7 years old, for crissakes! It's one thing to develop solid homework/study skills but it's another to just pile it on and on after a day of quizzes, tests and score-keeping. What good does that do, really? Our kids have been in school all day and when they come home they want a good snack and some down time spent outside, reading a book, doing a craft project or playing with their toys. Several of the other parents have also expressed dismay at the amount of homework required in this teacher's class and have told me that their children are exhausted, too.

Being bombarded with homework often has a negative effect and I've already let our daughter's teacher know that my husband and I are not going to push the homework crap with our kid. The teacher didn't particularly like hearing that but that's not my problem. Our daughter still has to complete the assignments but if she needs a break for a day then we're fine with it. And if her teacher doesn't like it then that broad can kiss my a$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 01:30 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,121 posts, read 39,212,961 times
Reputation: 40583
Every teacher now is "very focused on tests and scores". The entire educational complex is. For teachers it's their job on the line with every wrong answer, for Administration at all levels, from school based to the Superintendent's office, it's their bonuses which are impacted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 02:26 PM
 
10,090 posts, read 6,500,984 times
Reputation: 23714
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
That's unacceptable. Go over her head to the principal.
I did. I got the same party line but a promise that with in a week I would be hearing from the special services department. So I will be holding her to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 02:28 PM
 
10,090 posts, read 6,500,984 times
Reputation: 23714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
Our daughter began 2nd grade this year and my DH and I are not terribly thrilled with her teacher. This particular teacher is very focused on tests and scores and we feel as if the love of learning may be getting muddled some. The homework is piling up and there have already been several episodes of our daughter getting upset because she has to do yet another worksheet or assignment after completing several others.

I let her teacher know that we are NOT going to allow our daughter to get to the point of tears when it comes to homework. She's freaking 7 years old, for crissakes! It's one thing to develop solid homework/study skills but it's another to just pile it on and on after a day of quizzes, tests and score-keeping. What good does that do, really? Our kids have been in school all day and when they come home they want a good snack and some down time spent outside, reading a book, doing a craft project or playing with their toys. Several of the other parents have also expressed dismay at the amount of homework required in this teacher's class and have told me that their children are exhausted, too.

Being bombarded with homework often has a negative effect and I've already let our daughter's teacher know that my husband and I are not going to push the homework crap with our kid. The teacher didn't particularly like hearing that but that's not my problem. Our daughter still has to complete the assignments but if she needs a break for a day then we're fine with it. And if her teacher doesn't like it then that broad can kiss my a$$.
Texas? It's your state. Sorry. It gets much worse next year. This year they are trying to prep them for 2-3 hours of homework next year. Look into options to opt out of the STAAR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 02:31 PM
 
10,090 posts, read 6,500,984 times
Reputation: 23714
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Every teacher now is "very focused on tests and scores". The entire educational complex is. For teachers it's their job on the line with every wrong answer, for Administration at all levels, from school based to the Superintendent's office, it's their bonuses which are impacted.
Some states and districts are much worse then others. Texas is terrible. We live in Minnesota now and haven't run into this at all. They do the tests but don't make it the center of learning. At least not here where we live. It's low key. They say do your best but it's for the school to know how we are doing not for the kids or parents to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Raleigh
6,999 posts, read 5,201,036 times
Reputation: 9447
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolEuropeanGirly View Post
Do teachers really have time to form major dislikes against students?
One would hope it happens far less at the elementary level than the middle school/high school levels.

At those levels, while it is unprofessional, it is understandable. At that age, kids physically and emotionally begin to have more adult like tendencies, habits, whatever. Its also the age where they seem to really develop the ability to become really cruel to one another (I understand that it can happen at younger ages, but kids seem to really come into it at 12-13 i think.) The more complicated, mini-adult personalities can trigger reactions one way or another...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
10,638 posts, read 3,322,114 times
Reputation: 12748
I have two children. One in 6th grade and one in 4th. I can honestly say that I have never felt that any of their teachers (to date) did not like them. Exact opposite actually! However, I have come across a few teachers that I didn't care for!

Even if teacher does not care for a specific child, they should not act on it! That would be completely unprofessional!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 05:01 PM
 
4,860 posts, read 2,155,582 times
Reputation: 12375
I shall share distinct moments that did NOT need to be deemed 'life lessons'..
1: 11th grade physics teacher...'hated' the male gender. There wasn't a day in her class where she didn't take the opportunity to emasculate them. I was a girl...and I often cringed that a teacher voiced her personal (not educated) opinion with such gull. No parent ever approached her because she gave them a lashing too.
2: my first grade nun hated four of us students...I being one of them. We were her whipping post...literally. she held us back for a second year of torture. And yes back then...a nun was omnipotent in the eyes of the school and parent's. Thanks be that in 2nd grade we each found a teacher who had compassion for what we endured. She absolutely took us broken spirits and breathed joy into us...we aced our reading..and math!
3: tenth grade..English teacher...she and my father went at it. He won. She had to re grade my test. Why? Because she based it on how little effort I put in to it....yet every answer was the correct one! She had given me a c minus...and it got signed off by the principal as an A. Even the principal was miffed on that way of grading....

So basically..some parents know when to step in...or guide the child...other times..the parent figures ...let's allow them to learn a life lesson ( passive parenting 101).

Kids don't need to be testing grounds for the hard knocks of life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top