Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 08:21 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
People do it all the time when it comes to criminally violating speed limit laws. 5 mph over = a pack of gum. 50 mph over the limit = the diamond necklace.
Well said.

I think people clutching their pearls and talking about this in terms of being an moral or ethical person need to take a real look at what those things really mean.

Last edited by HighFlyingBird; 10-01-2017 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 10:35 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
LOL I actually don't believe people who say they would drive all the way back to the store to return a pack of gum. I think the moral indignation is really funny...
There is no moral indignation. I have done it. I don't see what is unbelievable about doing the right thing because it is the right thing regardless of monetary value.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ethics and honesty like that are rare any more.
They really aren't IMO. But god forgive you opine about it because then you are a sanctimonious perfect person.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Well said.

I think people clutching their pearls and talking about this in terms of being an moral or ethical person need to take a real look at what those things really mean.
What DOES it mean? Taking the low road when you are too lazy to do the right thing?

Old 10-01-2017, 11:01 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
My mom was telling me a story what my 2yr. old niece had done while out shopping with her mom and Grandparents. They thought it was funny. I didn't and told my mom if my sister-in-law don't send the money to cover the cost of the necklace, it's stealing and not setting a good example for the kid. My mom acted like it was no big deal. I was mad.
She should personally return it and apologize for being the granddaughter.

Taking things that do not belong to you is known as "stealing." It's always been "stealing" and someone needs some moral education from her daughter because "mom" isn't a grown-up yet.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:03 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
I don't have kids, but I WAS a kid and this happened to me. There used to be these individually wrapped caramels at the grocery store. At age 6, I nabbed one. At home, my mom found me out. Spanked me and took me back to the store. Obviously, I've never forgotten it. It's a very powerful lesson for a kid. 5 cents or 5 dollars.....principle is the same.

DH's parents drove him back to a restaurant to return the sugar cubes he'd secreted as a young boy. LOL.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:48 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I don't have kids, but I WAS a kid and this happened to me. There used to be these individually wrapped caramels at the grocery store. At age 6, I nabbed one. At home, my mom found me out. Spanked me and took me back to the store. Obviously, I've never forgotten it. It's a very powerful lesson for a kid. 5 cents or 5 dollars.....principle is the same.

DH's parents drove him back to a restaurant to return the sugar cubes he'd secreted as a young boy. LOL.
To me it's such an obvious thing to do. It's not that I'm claiming to have higher morals because that's far from the truth..lol, but when it comes to taking other peoples property I just can't. It doesn't matter if it's Walmart or a small mom and pop convenient store. It's just wrong! If you live 10 miles away from the store then pay next time you go there, or return the item. Or...at least call them.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:07 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
It is not the two year old who is stealing. It is the adult who knows the merchandise was not paid for.
It's really just this simple. The perceived value of the item doesn't matter.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:09 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
No pearl-clutching here, bird. Just an honest assessment of my belief that I shalt not steal. Thou may see it differently.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:11 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
To me it's such an obvious thing to do. It's not that I'm claiming to have higher morals because that's far from the truth..lol, but when it comes to taking other peoples property I just can't. It doesn't matter if it's Walmart or a small mom and pop convenient store. It's just wrong! If you live 10 miles away from the store then pay next time you go there, or return the item. Or...at least call them.
The problem with explaining that you'd do the right thing to people who don't (or calling them out when they don't do something right) is that their defensive mode goes straight to our supposedly sitting smugly on some throne of superior self-righteousness.

That's really not it. This *is* what I would do (and have done). This *is* what I consider the right thing. There's no nanny nanny boo boo involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting