Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 03:07 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I don't doubt the research. I have seen it. I doubt the conclusions. The extremity of your conclusions in particular.
Well I have read the data and I also have lived it. So I am comfortable with my "extremity".

Excessive screen use also changes vision. Fun fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 06:27 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I don't doubt the research. I have seen it. I doubt the conclusions. The extremity of your conclusions in particular.
Amen.

"I have the research, the best research, huge research. I am not sharing that research but trust me it is bigly data, the best conclusions, everyone says so."

Old 10-03-2017, 07:08 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Do it for any reason other than this nonsense that not having one will somehow make them behind in technology. Staring at these things and having stilted "conversations" with their equally clueless friends is not part of some race to the top.
Besides, many kids are already experienced with ipad minis and the like by the time they are 6. Getting a smartphone in middle school should not be to keep up with technology. They just want to be cool like their friends. I agree with the movement to keep them out as a whole community as late as possible, but of course other parents ruin it for some.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:10 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
My kids got them at age 12. It's how young people communicate nowadays. Although you and I got along fine with the phones with the looooong twisty cords stretching across the kitchen and through the living room into our bedrooms, that's not how kids interact in 2017. They text or Skype or Facetime.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:28 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Amen.

"I have the research, the best research, huge research. I am not sharing that research but trust me it is bigly data, the best conclusions, everyone says so."
*snort*

Old 10-03-2017, 08:19 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,043,189 times
This reply is a bit pointless given the many already, but I got a phone when I was 12, which seems fairly reasonable to me. Once you get into middle school everyone has a phone, and any younger than 11 or so and having a smartphone is unnecessary and even a bit ridiculous, so it's a sort of "window" to me I guess.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:18 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Well, thanks for stopping by. Anecdotes are always helpful.
Well, much of this thread is by definition anecdotes. I may have missed some links to studies by professionals somewhere. If you've got medical studies, whatever... we're all ears.

Also, I was responding to another poster, so I don't know where you were coming from

Old 10-03-2017, 09:44 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Clearly it is not serious to you, but fibbing about what can and cannot be done with technology is serious to parents like the OP and to people who actually do this as part of the job.

It is absolutely fine to now know these terms. It is not fine to present your lack of knowledge as fact, which is exactly what you did. BTW, there is no hacking an iphone UNLESS YOU JAILBREAK IT. So again, please stop presenting misinformation.

But you keep presenting misinformation which makes people fear phones. And no one said you had to do anything. But you insisted that these things were not possible, and that there are work arounds, there are not.

That is all irrelevant to the fact you keep insisting things that are not true.

Actually the person who was insisting it is not possible to use parental controls of smartphones is not talking about parenting styles. You jumped in on a sidebar about what is or is not possible to do with a smartphone with more misinformation.
You’re a peach, aren’t you?

I wasn’t “fibbing”, I was just presenting the truth as I knew it. Nicely, at that. You are the one acting like I strangled puppies for knowing that kids hack around parental controls and monitoring apps all the time, but not realizing all the steps you were taking could be effective. I even bolded the whole “you were right” concession as a peaceful gesture once I figured out what you were saying was correct, and you are still basically implying I’m a liar who is willfully scaring people. I mean... seriously?

And when I move on from that to explain why I personally am not so scared of internet shenanigans - that I like to focus on judgement building and why - you just keep quoting then dismissing my words to argue a point I was no longer making, and in fact already conceded.

And the strangest part is I AGREE with you that parents shouldn’t be scared of cell phones, even if we have different reasons for our beliefs.

In summary(once more, with feeling LOL):

1. YES, you can childproof a phone. YOU ARE CORRECT. I WAS WRONG. You can hang a scarlet W on my neck now. Heh.

The following OPINIONS are related to the GENERAL DISCUSSION and not YOU PERSONALLY:

2. It is my personal belief that because a determined kid has multiple ways to access the internet, I prefer a strategy that focuses not so much on shutting down what they access, but building the discernment to handle the internet well, and make good choices while on it.

3. I think it’s perfectly appropriate to start teaching that discernment around the same time the child is judged capable of handling increased independence - typically sometime in middle school.

4. I prefer to do that by putting some limits on the phone itself and by closely monitoring usage, keeping a dialog going, and setting strong expectations as to what kind of behavior I expect along with consequences when those expectations are not met.

I feel like that should make my stances pretty clear now. Hopeful hostilities can cease. LOL

Old 10-04-2017, 06:45 AM

407 posts, read 370,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post

The following OPINIONS are related to the GENERAL DISCUSSION and not YOU PERSONALLY:

2. It is my personal belief that because a determined kid has multiple ways to access the internet, I prefer a strategy that focuses not so much on shutting down what they access, but building the discernment to handle the internet well, and make good choices while on it.

3. I think it’s perfectly appropriate to start teaching that discernment around the same time the child is judged capable of handling increased independence - typically sometime in middle school.

4. I prefer to do that by putting some limits on the phone itself and by closely monitoring usage, keeping a dialog going, and setting strong expectations as to what kind of behavior I expect along with consequences when those expectations are not met.
This, 1000%. Thanks for describing it much better than I can!!

Old 10-04-2017, 09:03 AM

835 posts, read 476,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Well if you can make it totally kid safe you must be a genius and should write a book because I sat down with an apple expert and he explained exactly why and how iphones cant be set up for children. And it was only a few months ago. There are things you can do but nothing to lock it down enough to be totally kid safe. He set it up for me and it wasn't good enough.
I was an Apple Associate for a time and have to say this is the stuff of fantasy, no Apple employee would ever say anything even remotely negative that would have a customer questioning their decision to buy an Apple product.

If you have to lock down the phone to the point that it is a functionless brick, your kid isn't ready for a smartphone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting