Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 08:49 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Way back it was a tradition, even in the city -- at least, in Baltimore -- but then, must've been the 60s, nutcakes were putting razor blades in apples, handing out hashish brownies, and other nasty and dangerous things. A bit later, older kids were practicing their own versions of trick-or-treat, calling it "knock-n-rob." As for me, living in a semi-rural, rather isolated area, I haven't had one trick-or-treater in the 40 some years of living here.

Was wondering if this old tradition is still practiced in the suburbs and cities.
Doing my absolute level best to keep it alive without getting pumpkin guts all over my hands or showing how bad I am at all forms of artwork. I live in one of the burbiest suburbs there is, just outside Portland, OR, a place with all the usual suburban flaws plus some of its own creatively bad innovations.

I have a monster mask, and I make sure to get a good supply of good candy. I'm generous with it, because gods know it wasn't very expensive and the last thing I need is a bunch left over. I put out a lighted electric pumpkin and turn on the outside lights, and put my mask by the door. When the bell rings, I rush to open it with the mask on. When the kids say 'trick or treat,' I make monster noises; I never speak an articulate word of anything but monstery growling. The adults with them smile and laugh and thank me. I growl to them as well, with a friendly wave. "Thank you," say the children, having been given their candy. "Bluuuaaaaggh," I respond to each. I tone the volume down a little for the really small kids who seem genuinely scared.

Every year, I get more. Last year I went through three bags of candy and barely made it (we would have had to start handing out granola bars, yeeesh). This year I had better stock more. I see the same children and parents coming back year after year. If my neighborhood and its children know me in no other way, they know that the guy who lives here is capable of being a fun person who pitches in to help make it fun for the kids. It was done for me as a child, and it is now my duty to do it for these children as long as they and their successors will come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 09:10 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,698,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I LOVE real Halloween! Not this churchy parking lot, sanitized "Trunk or Treat" nonsense.
What's not to like? Seems like you can load up on a ton of candy in a short time in the church parking lot, then go out and canvass the neighborhood afterward. Best of both worlds.

I'm biased, though, because we can walk to the local church and they blow it out. Like 4 bounce houses (separated by age), a giant inflated slide, and free food/popcorn. Plus candy and costumes.

Is it because there's (usually) nothing scary? Our kids are still really young, so we don't do scary stuff at Halloween yet, maybe that's why I'm more into the church and business "trick-or-treating" than you.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:51 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Growing up in East Oakland there would be upwards of 200 kids going door to door.

The last 10 years it would be zero for most and maybe two or three total in other years...

Still put out the Jack-O-Lantern like always.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:58 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,261,525 times
Yes it is, but every year we are seeing less kids.

I think trunk or treats, mall trick-or-treating etc. is fine and probably feels safer for parents.

With mall halloween events the kids have to wait in a line at each store for one tootsie roll. I don't think I would have been happy about that when I was a kid.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:00 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Way back it was a tradition, even in the city -- at least, in Baltimore -- but then, must've been the 60s, nutcakes were putting razor blades in apples, handing out hashish brownies, and other nasty and dangerous things. A bit later, older kids were practicing their own versions of trick-or-treat, calling it "knock-n-rob." As for me, living in a semi-rural, rather isolated area, I haven't had one trick-or-treater in the 40 some years of living here.

Was wondering if this old tradition is still practiced in the suburbs and cities.
It is where I live, however, I don't live in a large city. I live in a town of 3,500 which is next to a city of 13,000. Most people here know each other. The city does a big Halloween party for the kids to trick or treat at in the community center. Kids still trick or treat in their neighborhoods.

Out in town, depending on where you live, you may get a couple of kids. They're your neighbor kids that you see all the time. That's it though. If we get 3 kids a year, that's a lot. And we know all 3! I think we're down to 1 or maybe 2 if one of the kids feels like it. He's now a teenager so he's not as interested. The end of our street turns into farms so the population fizzles.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:18 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,638,650 times
Our firm has a Halloween party and everyone can bring their kids that day. The firm decorates and supplies the candy so the kids go trick-or-treating from office to office. I love Halloween! I go all out decorating both my home and office.

When I lived in a house instead of a condo, I turned the first level of my home into a haunted house for the neighborhood kids. I would serve chili dogs, punch and cookies.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:39 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
The traditional trick-or-treating is alive and well here in Omaha. (Although since I moved to a multistory condo, I don't get to hand out candy any more. I miss it!)

Old 10-06-2017, 12:50 PM

116 posts, read 172,094 times
Quote:

urban legends. don't forget the LSD laced fake tattoos!

Old 10-06-2017, 12:55 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
We have been taking our kids trick or treating for years now. The only problem I see now is that they are getting much older. The youngest is 11 and still likes to go. Problem with that is she is 5'3" tall and looks like she could be in high school. Not that being in high school stops kids today. Our other kids have outgrown going out, although they still like the idea of free candy. We have a party each year and invite friends over with small kids. Then the moms all take the younger kids out while the dad's and older kids watch cool movies. Not into the slasher films but we will play many other classics, Nightmare Before Christmas is awesome. Plenty of others movies to have on.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:57 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incivism View Post
urban legends. don't forget the LSD laced fake tattoos!
What kid even wants an apple for Halloween? I was a kid in the late 60's early 70's and if I had gotten an apple I would have thrown it back after I walked away. LOL All we wanted was candy, and we wanted name brand stuff, if you scored a candy bar that was the best. I think most of the kids I knew back then could sort their own stuff out. Toss the things that they did not want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting