Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 12:55 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times

Advertisements

MYOB.

10 minutes outside isn't going to kill him or turn him into a sociopath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 01:14 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
What are the other factors you can observe, i.e, does he appear well fed and groomed or physically neglected (dirty, stained clothes, grubby nails, too thin?)

Have you seen the Mother interact with him and the other children? Does her interaction seem within the boundaries of "normal"? Does she shout or curse at them?

Why not go over and SPEAK to the little fellow next time he is outdoors? That'd be my first move. See what he says. He may be a hellion and needs the timeout or he may be a "scapegoated"child who is being unfairly treated. You need to collect more data.

Please don't confront the Mother. It will antagonize her if she IS abusive and may result in her taking it out on him.

Please don't ignore the situation either. Try to gather more data.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:25 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
You're probably right, and she's keeping him out so he doesn't wake the babies. Perhaps she's tried time out in his room and he keeps screaming or getting out, since bedroom doors don't have an outside lock. In any case, while it may seem harsh, it's technically not any more harmful just because it's outside as long as the yard is safe, fenced, she can see him and weather isn't dangerous. I'm not sure that qualifies as abuse.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:11 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
The first time I heard our neighbor's three year old boy crying, it was in my house. I went out into the back yard hearing him crying for his mommy, sobbing his heart out. I thought he was hurt. They have a trampoline in their backyard as well as a swing tower combo.

No, he wasn't hurt. Since then I've heard him crying in the backyard numerous times, by himself, calling for his mommy and 'let me in.' This little boy has an older sister and three younger siblings. The twins are about 3 months old. I realize the mom has her hands full but this time out is almost a daily punishment.

Do I talk to the mom and raise my concerns? I'm at a loss.
It's not OK. 3 is too young to be outside without supervision. And it's cruel. I'd call child services ASAP. It sounds like neglect to me, and dangerous.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:12 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
It's not OK. 3 is too young to be outside without supervision. And it's cruel. I'd call child services ASAP. It sounds like neglect to me, and dangerous.

This is the first rational post on this thread. Something very wrong is going on.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:22 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
My first thought was: how do you know he's out there for a punishment?

Could it be that she wants him to play outside and use up some energy for ten minutes a day? Maybe he's crying and yelling to be let back in because he wants to play on his tablet or something. Three-year-olds yell about everything.

Can you see into their back windows or doors to see where the mother is during this? He could be in full view of her the whole time. Ten minutes in a secure backyard in normal summertime weather is not going to injure anyone and it's certainly not abuse unless there are other factors at play.

A bit of devil's advocate, but jumping to the most horrible assumptions doesn't help the situation. Find out the facts before you condemn and get the police or CPS involved. If it concerns you, knock on her door and express concern. Listen and watch her reaction.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
This is Texas - and it is where this happened (Richardson is close to Dallas, I think)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c68b3e41f94b

Quote:
A 3-year-old girl from Texas has been missing for three days since her father sent her out alone to an alley at 3 a.m. — her punishment, police say he told officers, for not drinking her milk.

Sherin Mathews, a special-needs toddler last seen early Saturday in her family’s back yard in Richardson, Tex., is thought to be in grave and immediate danger.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:19 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
This is Texas - and it is where this happened (Richardson is close to Dallas, I think)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c68b3e41f94b
I thought this is what this thread would be about.

Could be punishment, could be just telling him to play outside for a few minutes. Though really, a three year old needs some direction and won't play well if just shoved out the door. Seems like whatever is going on is ineffective at best.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:37 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This is the first rational post on this thread. Something very wrong is going on.
Agreed. Isn't time-out meant to last one minute per year, or, in this case, 3 minutes? I have no doubt Mom is frazzled with 5 kids under 6. Too bad for the involved adults, but this child should not be the scapegoat for their frustrations. Make the call.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:48 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
I would absolutely butt in.

I would knock on the door and say you heard her son inside your house and wanted to make sure everything was okay and that you were alarmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting