Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 09:53 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,394,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purekoryo View Post
she states well lets just think about it because it might be better for a nanny
I would have said, "You better go to work and pay for it yourself, then."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 09:58 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,157,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
A nanny? Having parents come and help? You said it yourself, your wife is a stay at home mom. How much help does she need? My wife and I raised, are raising 6 kids. My wife has for the most part worked nights while I work days. We have never had someone help us with the kids. Her mom died when she was a kid and her dad moved back to Mexico. She was raised by her brother and sister in law. My parents could not help at the time and for the past 14 years have lived in Arizona.

Our oldest is 25 and our youngest is 11. We did it all on our own.
OP travels 12-15 days per month, as stated in first post. That means OP is likely tired when he is home and isn't able to help as much as otherwise would be able to. And obviously offer zero help when on the road. I am in a similar situation and while it seems insane to some for a SAHM to want help, I can completely relate as I am away a lot and when I am not, I work crazy hours. When we have our second, we will need help as well.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:01 AM

625 posts, read 902,292 times
Quote:
I just now told her that I will pay for her mother's plane ticket. Without even blinking or showing any appreciation, she states well lets just think about it because it might be better for a nanny to be taking care of my wife and the baby. I am beyond disbelief on how spoiled she is... I told my wife about how we didn't have any issue with our first born, but she says she was younger then (she is still very young at 30!!!) and didn't know much about nannies until she started talking with her other spoiled friends.
Oh boy, the keeping up with the Joneses mentality. If she needs a nanny, she'd better be going back to work. You've created a monster. Good Luck

Old 10-12-2017, 10:02 AM

534 posts, read 488,475 times
Quote:
I just now told her that I will pay for her mother's plane ticket. Without even blinking or showing any appreciation, she states well lets just think about it because it might be better for a nanny to be taking care of my wife and the baby. I am beyond disbelief on how spoiled she is... I told my wife about how we didn't have any issue with our first born, but she says she was younger then (she is still very young at 30!!!) and didn't know much about nannies until she started talking with her other spoiled friends.
Yes, I sense an ongoing power struggle dynamic in the relationship! Power struggles are never about what is being argued about. My suggestion would be to sit down with your wife and ask her what she really wants, what she is feeling bad about, really listen to her and see what she says. My guess is that something else will come out, other than she just wants a nanny. She's probably feeling resentment (as are you), frustrated (as are you), misunderstood (as are you), stuck or trapped in some way and so she's grasping at something to ease her feelings. Just really listen to her, without trying to get anything from her or give anything to her, don't try to fix anything, don't try to be right, just listen, and my guess is the real problem will start to arise.

This just makes relationships so much easier, when you get to the actual problem that's causing the conflict...which is not the visible one. She might not be capable of this herself, because if she was, she would see that your conflicts with are at least partially rooted in money issues due to a childhood of poverty, that her behavior is triggering those issues for you. But someone has to have the greater self awareness in the relationship, otherwise the conflicts never end and will actually grow.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:13 AM

42 posts, read 64,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Are you able to get paternity or family leave for a month or two to help care for the new baby?
In my position, no. They would just laugh at me.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:15 AM

Btw, she received an advice about the nanny from her friend who is even afraid to drive so in the past, her friends who lived nearby had to pick up a grown and capable woman to go to a play date.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:23 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,693,136 times
Everything in life has a cost. Run a honest pro vs con cost benefit/risk and you will likely find a total picture. She will need more help in the first 6 months.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:23 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,657,276 times
everybody is going to have their own personal opinions about this.. i am not sure you will get a consensus one way or the other. Personally i wouldn't think 3k is that big of a deal in the LONG RUN. Of course it could open up more scenarios that might cost you as well. I would try to find a happy medium... split the cost?

Old 10-12-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
everybody is going to have their own personal opinions about this.. i am not sure you will get a consensus one way or the other. Personally i wouldn't think 3k is that big of a deal in the LONG RUN. Of course it could open up more scenarios that might cost you as well. I would try to find a happy medium... split the cost?
I actually did just that and now she changed her mind and wants a nanny instead...I think I'm going to stand my ground on this one to pay for her moms ticket to spend couple of weeks(has to go back to work) and my mom to spend 3-4 weeks.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:47 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,658,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post
Oh boy, the keeping up with the Joneses mentality. If she needs a nanny, she'd better be going back to work. You've created a monster. Good Luck
Exactly! There are many more years to come so what will be the next demand? Nip the problem in the bud and send her to see a counselor. At her age, she should have grown up by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting