Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 01:47 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,788,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
The year my own daughter was born, I almost died when I saw, in the paper, another baby girl named D'Rhea. I don't care how you pronounce it, you know what it looks like.
Public school teacher here, too -- last year, we had a girl named Latrina. As a former girl school and avid camper, every time I heard her name I'd picture an outhouse. I went to college with a Veleeta who, of course, was always called VelVeeta .....

Back in elementary school (a million years ago), there was a boy in my class named James Shews -- nicknamed Jim, sooooooo ..... Jim Shews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 04:15 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,441,703 times
they had an episode on Tyra about names and how they can affect your future, or how people "percieve" you just by reading your name on an application.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:17 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,929,529 times
Banana warlikeshire, "if you don't want a smack in the balls you will call me Ana from now on"

Old 06-08-2008, 04:42 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,258,675 times
My son (16) knew a girl 2 years ago.. yeah, that's right... they were FOURTEEN... who had a baby.

As if that isn't sad enough, she named her baby what sounds like "Absidy". She spelled it A-B-C-D.

I kid you not. I've seen it on a document, I know it's true. Can you imagine!? My son quipped: "What's the next one going to be... Lmnop? (ellmenop)??"

Old 06-09-2008, 01:14 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,196,195 times
My parents named me Julianne, after my mom's cousin whom she is really close with. It's a simple enough name to pronounce, just the name Julie and the name Anne put together, but people still have problems with pronunciation. I've been called all of the following names on numerous occasions:

1) Julie
2) Julia
3) Julianna
4) Julian (like the boy's name)
5) Joanna (yeah, I don't know either )

Julianna is the most common mispronunciation. It's usually teachers, nurses, or other people who have to read it off a piece of paper. Like, I don't know, they just feel like throwing in an A at the end of my name. In the first grade my teacher called me that so often I actually wrote the name on my paper by mistake several times. I don't even bother correcting people anymore unless I know I'll be in contact with them in the future. The priest of my parish, who happens to have gone to school with my mom and is one of my dad's best friends still calls me Julianna. I've corrected him at least ten times and I've completely given up at this point. I think he actually knows my name but he does it for his own amusement. My eighth grade homeroom teacher called me Julianna all day, every day for the entire year. Some of my classmates tried to tell her but she just didn't get it. Come graduation day, she actually pronounced my name correctly much to my surprise. My Great-Aunt called me Joanna until she died when I was ten but I'm not sure if it's because she had bad hearing or dementia. I'm fine with my name, it seems like only other people have a problem with it.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:55 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,441,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
My son (16) knew a girl 2 years ago.. yeah, that's right... they were FOURTEEN... who had a baby.

As if that isn't sad enough, she named her baby what sounds like "Absidy". She spelled it A-B-C-D.

I kid you not. I've seen it on a document, I know it's true. Can you imagine!? My son quipped: "What's the next one going to be... Lmnop? (ellmenop)??"
what a dumb a$$...
it sounds like she could care less and was like, hey i will just pick the letters of the alphabet.
or maybe she thought the kid would have an easy time of writing her own name.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:13 AM

1,649 posts, read 4,985,564 times
Anita Dick. Yes. It's a real name.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:04 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,935,362 times
I just can't believe that anyone has last names like Dick, Butts, and Boob. If that was my last name, I would change it in a heartbeat....I would never subject my kids to going through school with names like that....they would be made fun of everyday...12 years of school could turn into hell.
Not only do people keep ridiculous names like these, they go ahead and give their kids names like Harry, Ima, Ura, etc.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:06 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,935,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Anita Dick. Yes. It's a real name.
Harry Butts is actually a name. As is Harry Balls. Anyone who gives their kid such a name should be locked up.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:45 PM

30 posts, read 82,534 times
i had a roommate named sharon sumcox lol she got teased about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting