Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 04:43 PM

2,181 posts, read 2,318,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaMarie1 View Post
They can more than afford children. Several.

They are in LTRs with like-minded bf/gf. My daughter got her tubes ties at 28. Son got a vasectomy at 30.
OP, Back in February you stated in another post, "I'm 28, hit the 100k at 26."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 04:43 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Those of us who perceived our parents as unhappy with their situation might try to avoid falling into the same trap. Of course, some people just love kids and absolutely want them. But those who are not child-centered or on the fence (and would rather spend their time and money on things they enjoy) will often choose a child-free life.

As for marriage in general, with many women being career-oriented and self-supporting, marriage is no longer an economic necessity. Several of the young women I know see it as a detriment to be legally tied to someone and not be able to do their own thing. Maybe that'll change as they get older, or maybe not.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:48 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
If both your kids (male & female) were in their mid thirties and did not want to get married or have kids, would you think that was unusual as a parent? Would you assume it was something you did that made them chose that path?
Maybe you should just ask them why they don’t want to get married.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:54 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
If both your kids (male & female) were in their mid thirties and did not want to get married or have kids, would you think that was unusual as a parent? Would you assume it was something you did that made them chose that path?
Hubby and I have 4 kids. My son, from my first marriage, is 45 and has been living with a woman and her two children for about 8 years. She will not get married until both her children are grown, and she told him from the start that the baby factory was closed. They seem very happy.

Truthfully, my son is a bit different, and I am grateful he found someone who loves him. Do I think my son is the way he is because of me? No. He is a lot like his father.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:02 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
My brother is 39 and isn't interested in giving up his freewheeling lifestyle (bars, golf, world travel at a whim) to have kids.

I am married with 2 kids and think it's so much fun and would not trade them for anything.

Same parents, different outcome.

[And there's no way you could blame the dynamics of our parents influencing choices re: gender, because my mother definitely got the short end of that stick.]

The biggest difference between me and my brother is that he is a completely self-absorbed person who can barely take care of himself.
He was the baby and was DEFINITELY babied from day one bc of a lung issue he had early on. Maybe the current trend not to get married and have kids has something to do with the babying and helicopter parenting the the current child bearing population had to deal with.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:16 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
To those suggesting asking the middle aged kids why, it is not the business of anyone but the middle aged parents. They owe NO ONE an explanation.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:41 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Quote:

My son is 31, no children in his future, so he says. If he changes his mind, it would probably be adoption. He is the last male to pass along his family name.

My daughter will be 30 in January. Has a bf, but no talk of marriage in her future. I think she may like to have kids one day, but right now, it's not in the near future for her either.

Should neither of them have kids, I would support their decision, it's their life, not mine. I'm not the one who has to raise kids in this screwed up world we have. People who don't want to have kids shouldn't, no matter how we may think they could be wonderful parents, or missing out.

I was lucky that my Mother lived close when my kids were born, and growing up. My kids live in other states than I do and would not have that kind of support.

I can say I would never think the reason my kids wouldn't want children is because of me. I was a hands on Mom, took my kids to school each day (they graduated with perfect attendance) let the kids make their own decisions about the schools they wanted to attend and have supported both of them in anything they did. Both of them have been living on their own since college and doing well. I couldn't be happier, or more proud of them both.

Like I said, their lives, their decisions and I'm good with whatever they decide.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:55 PM

382 posts, read 365,451 times
We are siblings (32, 34, and 35). None of have children or want children. My two brothers (32 and 35) don't want to get married. I just got married one year ago.

There is nothing wrong with this. It is actually becoming more common. As long as they are happy that's all that matters.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:02 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,988 times
Quote:
No I would not think that was unusual.

And yes I would feel it was due to something I did that made them choose that path. I would assume that I succeeded in raising children who have enough self confidence and independence to choose their own path in life and that they don't need to adhere to societal norms to feel successful and content.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:54 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,005 times
Rich people have kids. Poor people have kids. People in debt do not. Perhaps you encouraged them to go to college without providing them the funds to do so. I'm a millennial and most of my friends choosing not to start families, use "personal choice" as a euphemism for "up to my eyeballs in debt".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting