Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 10:04 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times

Advertisements

My two sons are in their mid 40's now, but when they were born I took on 50% of the work and time raising them. Being twins, it took two of us to do it. Plus, my wife went back to work at her job as an RN, working nights, so I had them both from 10pm til 8 in the morning when she got home. On Saturdays, so she could get some much needed sleep, I would put them in their little car seats and we would head off on some adventure. Those were great times.

I would not have traded that for anything in the world. From the moment they were born, my life changed for the better, and 40 years later, we are still the best of friends.

Dads who do not get involved with their kids growing up have no idea what they are missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 06:10 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
My husband did. I was the main caregiver because I stayed home with the kids, but he definitely spent time with them, took them places, and pitched in with childcare duties (bathing, bedtime). Now that the kids are teens, he's the fun one for sure.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:01 AM

926 posts, read 673,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
My two sons are in their mid 40's now, but when they were born I took on 50% of the work and time raising them. Being twins, it took two of us to do it. Plus, my wife went back to work at her job as an RN, working nights, so I had them both from 10pm til 8 in the morning when she got home. On Saturdays, so she could get some much needed sleep, I would put them in their little car seats and we would head off on some adventure. Those were great times.

I would not have traded that for anything in the world. From the moment they were born, my life changed for the better, and 40 years later, we are still the best of friends.

Dads who do not get involved with their kids growing up have no idea what they are missing.
This is one of the many awesome examples of how involved a dad should be in their child's life. There are other posts on here that mention other loving and caring dads who want to (and did) spend a lot of time with their child doing daily activities and routines with them that added up to spending quality one-on-one time together.

I think the coolest part of this post was the sentence that said how he's the best of friends with both of his sons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
My husband did. I was the main caregiver because I stayed home with the kids, but he definitely spent time with them, took them places, and pitched in with childcare duties (bathing, bedtime). Now that the kids are teens, he's the fun one for sure.
Ha! Yeah, kids always think the 'fun parent' is cool because they do more fun things with the kids while the other parent is usually spending some time with them too but they're also doing the not-so-fun things that need to get done, like cleaning, laundry, etc.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:24 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
I spend tons of QT with my 10 month old. I have Fridays off and spend all day with him, plus all weekend, plus mornings and nights M-Th. Wouldn't trade it for millions in cash.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:52 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
My husband is practically a part time SAHD due to his flexible schedule. He spends a lot of time with the kids, but especially our youngest since the older kids are in school. She's super attached to him. Follows him around, goes with him everywhere, even to work sometimes, takes rides on his legs before he leaves, runs to hug him when he comes home. They even have a routine of giving hugs, kisses, high fives, and fist bumps before he leaves the house. He's currently playing outside with her. They're total goofballs together.

I carried my older kids in a carrier when they were infants and young toddlers. It was super convenient. My husband carried our 3 year old in the Ergo and wrap from a few weeks old until 2ish. They went on frequent walks to the park, store and Starbucks, usually a few times a day. Both are big snugglers and my husband simply adores her to pieces.

I took this video from the bathroom. He was singing You Are My Sunshine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSNW...ature=youtu.be

They're adorable together. Lightsaber battle when she was 19 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9er...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmikZG53cnw

Old 10-29-2017, 12:15 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,043 times
I always make a point to tell my little ones they are loved and snuggle with them. In a few years they will not want that anymore.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:36 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,989 times
Yup, get it while you can! We both worked when our kids were young, and since I could time-shift, I took the morning routine and went to work late. My wife went to work early, then came home to handle the evening routine. It seemed to work out well for everyone.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:26 PM

926 posts, read 673,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
My husband is practically a part time SAHD due to his flexible schedule. He spends a lot of time with the kids, but especially our youngest since the older kids are in school. She's super attached to him. Follows him around, goes with him everywhere, even to work sometimes, takes rides on his legs before he leaves, runs to hug him when he comes home. They even have a routine of giving hugs, kisses, high fives, and fist bumps before he leaves the house. He's currently playing outside with her. They're total goofballs together.

I carried my older kids in a carrier when they were infants and young toddlers. It was super convenient. My husband carried our 3 year old in the Ergo and wrap from a few weeks old until 2ish. They went on frequent walks to the park, store and Starbucks, usually a few times a day. Both are big snugglers and my husband simply adores her to pieces.

I took this video from the bathroom. He was singing You Are My Sunshine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSNW...ature=youtu.be

They're adorable together. Lightsaber battle when she was 19 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9er...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmikZG53cnw
Aww, it's so cute that he plays with her like that and then when she sang along with him, that was awesome! She will remember those moments with him forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
I always make a point to tell my little ones they are loved and snuggle with them. In a few years they will not want that anymore.
Yeah, I remember when I was like 12 or 13 and some of my friends acted like they were too cool or 'too mature' to hug their mom and dad and tell them that they loved them. I wasn't like that though. And no one in our fam is that way either, we're a loving and goofy close-knit family! We always hug each other hi & bye and hang out often doing fun things or all of us going somewhere together.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:49 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
Aww, it's so cute that he plays with her like that and then when she sang along with him, that was awesome! She will remember those moments with him forever!

Yeah, I remember when I was like 12 or 13 and some of my friends acted like they were too cool or 'too mature' to hug their mom and dad and tell them that they loved them. I wasn't like that though. And no one in our fam is that way either, we're a loving and goofy close-knit family! We always hug each other hi & bye and hang out often doing fun things or all of us going somewhere together.
My 7th grader still likes to snuggle, hug and be close to me. We're very close. I was the same way with my mom. Still am.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Really, amongst the overwhelming majority of people we it's the norm for dads today to actively involved with parenting. Too many of us grew up with either absentee fathers or fathers who worked a lot and weren't around much, and it's made a huge impact on how so many men are doing it differently with their own kids.

One of the biggest complaints the higher-ups at my husband's job have is how the younger guys (the 45 and under crowd) don't want much overtime, whereas years ago, guys would work as many overtime shifts and recalls as they could get. The difference is, today they want to be home more with their kids, and will prioritize that over chasing more money or polishing knobs to get ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting