Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:26 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times

Advertisements

I feel sorry for the kids...having spineless,/weak/scared/ unconscious/stupid/uncaring parents who offer no "guidance" is a detriment to kids....they'll grow up to be like the parents!!!

The prices in a restaurant should make no difference on behavior. Bad behavior is BAD anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 05:35 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I feel sorry for the kids...having spineless,/weak/scared/ unconscious/stupid/uncaring parents who offer no "guidance" is a detriment to kids....they'll grow up to be like the parents!!!
Huh?

What "guidance" exactly should a parent offer to a 2-year old who is throwing a tantrum (as two year olds will do from time to time)?

Why so much anger toward parents? Your string of adjectives is just dripping with anger.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:36 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
my 2 year old has ALWAYS refused to sit in a high chair in a restaurant! lol

HE would be just fine sitting on the seat next to me, but try to put him in that chair and he turns into monster boy! lol
Same here. Those restaurant highchairs look so uncomfrotable anyway - I just get a booth, it works much better.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:42 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scchristi View Post
Do you give the parents the "hairy eyeball" ?

Ask to be moved to another table?

Complain to mangement?

or

Just think kids will be kids and thank goodness it's not yours, lol
Yes I do. I normally don't go to restaurants that cater to children so I feel like I have some right to an expectation of a quiet meal. My child has never behaved that way, don't bring your kid out to a restaurant if they can't behave.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
Huh?

What "guidance" exactly should a parent offer to a 2-year old who is throwing a tantrum (as two year olds will do from time to time)?

Why so much anger toward parents? Your string of adjectives is just dripping with anger.
The "guidence" that you offer a 2 year old is to take them outside to the car and explain the error of their ways and let them know in no uncertain terms that they're NOT behaving properly and will not go back in until they do. I've had to eat a few cold dinners in a to-go container in my car while I settled down our son but that's the price of having a child and going out. After that few it never happened again.
Even when he was a baby and crabby, if he started screaming either in a store or eatery one of us would take him outside until he calmed down. We feel that we don't have the right to impose our "little darling" on everyone else who's paying for a meal or acting normally.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:26 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
A 3 or 4 year old girl was crying in a restaurant and her mom was getting frustrated. The mom slapped the little girl up side the head and yelled "now stop crying!" I got up and told the mother that that was just about the dumbest damn thing I had ever seen or heard. You slap a small child on the head and actually expect them to NOT cry? She told me mind my own business. Turned out the little girl had an open safety pin sticking her in the leg and it was hurting her!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:58 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
Huh?

Why is anyone who disagrees with you "dripping with anger?

People who can't controltheir children are exactly as I described...they can choose one or two or more adjectives but they fit if they have the kinds of kids described in the OP which did not mention age and that doesn't matter anyway but it was nice of someone to direct you on how to handle a two year old.

I'm sorry you think NOT guiding children helps them in any way...it doesn't and I won't apologize for caring about these children having parents as described in my post.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:59 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
A 3 or 4 year old girl was crying in a restaurant and her mom was getting frustrated. The mom slapped the little girl up side the head and yelled "now stop crying!" I got up and told the mother that that was just about the dumbest damn thing I had ever seen or heard. You slap a small child on the head and actually expect them to NOT cry? She told me mind my own business. Turned out the little girl had an open safety pin sticking her in the leg and it was hurting her!
So did you slap the mother upside the head then?

Old 03-19-2008, 08:12 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
Thank goodness it is not my kids...
Parents really need to know their kids limits.

Some kids are different than others and cannot sit down for whatever reason (most age 2-3). My child went through a stage like that. What we figured out is: we could do fast food "restaurants", buffets, or we could do breakfast in a regular sit down place. Cause breakfast is served a LOT faster and they would be hungrier at breakfast not having eaten before that. So they would sit for that.

Letting kids run around a regular restaurant is a pet peeve for me! Man, your kid could be seriously hurt if they run into a waitress with a tray of hot food. Or a coffee pot. Honestly, you don't see it happen too often.

And yes, when I went to DW I did see a lot of meltdown kids. Mostly because I think they were exhausted and very little kids. They really were overstimulated and need to take a nap.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:20 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

The prices in a restaurant should make no difference on behavior. Bad behavior is BAD anywhere.
Well, I guess what I mean is that at a Macaroni Grill type place loud laughing and a yell or two aren't really going to upset anyone....but at a quiet, elegant place, it will. Honestly, who brings their kids to those kind of places??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting