Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 01:56 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyemae View Post
I had a healthy baby via csection and did allow grandparents to come visit baby the first day. It was nice to see their joy at the new addition no complications. Baby and I are both healthy and good. Exhausted but good

The only downside is my MIL is still here and refuse to leave. And insists on being here for the remainder of our hospital stay. Which is basically 4 full days
Congrats!

Are you saying your MIL is trying to stay in your room, day and night?

If that is the case, have a private chat with your husband and tell him to set her straight. If he won't do it, tell the nurses. They WILL get her to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 02:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
This is an important issue because many people think it's their "right" to be in the patient's room (new mom's room) or even in the delivery room. There is no such right. Patients can insist that everyone stay out of the hospital room and delivery room.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:40 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,324 times
Quote:
I had a healthy baby via csection and did allow grandparents to come visit baby the first day. It was nice to see their joy at the new addition no complications. Baby and I are both healthy and good. Exhausted but good

The only downside is my MIL is still here and refuse to leave. And insists on being here for the remainder of our hospital stay. Which is basically 4 full days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Congrats!

Are you saying your MIL is trying to stay in your room, day and night?

If that is the case, have a private chat with your husband and tell him to set her straight. If he won't do it, tell the nurses. They WILL get her to leave.
Why is she still there? Her presence is no longer required at the hospital- it's not like they are going to let her have the baby when your child isn't with you. Tell her to go home and rest.

And please tell her that she can't just move in/drop in on you when you get home without calling first. You and your husband need alone time to bond with the child, set up schedules, etc. She has to contain her excitement and follow your lead.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Old 11-15-2017, 03:00 PM

634 posts, read 708,663 times
Quote:

Those are going to be 4 very long days. They’re long anyway but now verrrrry long.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:02 PM

634 posts, read 708,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Yippee! Sounds like love from the MIL side. Hope you recover well and have a happy ti
Thanks you so much for sharing things going on in your life.
Does Baby have a name to share yet?
Barf. Sounds crazy and intrusive to me. Son needs to grow a pair and think about his wife.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:24 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Congrats! Yeah, that would be too much visiting for me....but I suppose she traveled a long way. Personally, I always prefer to come as needed from a distance.....than you are so much more appreciated.

You would need the help at home more than while you are being taken care of in the hospital.

Hang in there, this too shall pass.

Again, glad you and baby are good.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:

Congrats on the baby! I'm glad everything worked out.

It's okay for MIL to have that sentiment but she needs to back off when you tell her no. Ugh people like her can be exhausting. I can tell she means well but this isn't about her. Family needs to realize the new baby isn't theirs and mom and dad need the well-deserved time alone with the baby, to adjust and get used to one another. Newborns are cute and cuddly but not everyone has the right to be with them 24/7.

As others have said, you need to set clear boundaries ASAP or they'll be taking advantage of you for years to come. But considering she's your MIL and not your mother, I think your husband needs to have a talk with her, as someone else said. No reason for her to be there so much, whether it's literally 4 days straight, night and day, or just coming all day all 4 days. Unnecessary. You definitely need and probably want some time alone in your room, just you, baby, and your husband. MIL needs to back off.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:48 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,057 times
Congratulations! I hope you are managing to rest some.

Regarding your MIL, this is the time when the boundaries are set with regards to how much of a say she gets in how you raise your kids. Your husband needs to nip this in the bud right now. Can she visit for half an hour each day? Sure. But she does not need to be there all day, every day. And yes, get the nurses to do the dirty work if needed, but your husband should be putting you first in this moment.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:39 PM

638 posts, read 529,434 times
Your body, your baby, your choice.

The only thing I will say is that the more you appease them now, the more they might babysit later, and that's no small thing.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:28 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
(snip)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting