Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 09:31 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times

Advertisements

Ask your son how he feels about it. Let him know about all the facts, like he will be living with someone instead of you, but is for a greater good in your opinion. Explain the reason behind all of these, start by talking in concept that your son can understand. For example, ask him does he enjoy having food and water and not worry about freeze to death during winter, then slowly ask him if he knows the reason how everything he enjoy is taking care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 10:30 AM

12 posts, read 21,759 times
Thanks for the answers everyone. I read all of them. Sorry for not responding, work is intense.well my father and my brother are the ones who are pressing me to do this.the reason for them is that my son is very spoiled and I'm not educating right and still has the family tradition too.Because I went to the boarding school at that age. But I'm scared because my family did not see me growing up. I do not have much affinity with my parents. And I really like my son. I do everything for him.When i have the conversation with my family,I will update.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:37 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsey.x View Post
I agree with you but my family is very conservative and likes to keep the traditions.It is not that simple. Thanks for answering,It helps a lot.I need to have a serious talk about that with my family.
When you have this talk, ask your family WHY they feel it is desirable to send their kids to boarding schools. Surely there must be a reason beyond "Because we've always done it this way." Maybe it's the perceived superior education; maybe it's the status; maybe it's a desire to avoid public school; maybe it's a way for them to claim to be parents without actually having to do the hard work of parenting.

Once you find out their reasons, you can probably find a local private school that would meet their established criteria. Because while I think that private schools can be a very good thing, there's no way that I would send a 7 year old to a boarding school.

Incidentally, OP, in what country are you located? You mentioned that your brother sends his child to a school in Switzerland. Is that where you are located as well? Or are we talking not merely out-of-town, but out-of-continent?

Old 11-15-2017, 12:26 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Dont do it! it's a sick tradition to send young children away from their families. It leads to emotionally stunted, damaged adults.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:20 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
I think it's a little young, personally. Maybe starting at middle school, and even that would depend on the child. Would you have the ability to visit often? If not, then IMO, that's one family tradition that needs to die. Heck, even Harry Potter didn't go to Hogwarts until he was 11. :-)

Families often send their kids to boarding school because their own work/travel schedules were often too hectic to provide a stable home environment OR the schools around them were not of the caliber that they desired. The idea is that boarding schools offer a) a superior education that emphasizes discipline and structure, and b) an opportunity to mature, c) an opportunity to make life-long friends that are of the same social strata as you are. On the flip side, you have a lot of kids with access to lots of money who often don't make good choices when it comes to recreational drugs and alcohol, and a child who needs a more nurturing environment and is socially awkward may find it a living hell.

I wouldn't send a child of 8 to boarding school unless there were some severe extenuating circumstances (i.e., death of a mother and father with a demanding job, etc.) Depending on boarding school, I would think twice about sending someone just for high school if the school has a middle school, too -- the kids in the middle school have already formed friendships, and can be cliqueish.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:27 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Thanks for the answers everyone. I read all of them. Sorry for not responding, work is intense.well my father and my brother are the ones who are pressing me to do this.the reason for them is that my son is very spoiled and I'm not educating right and still has the family tradition too.Because I went to the boarding school at that age. But I'm scared because my family did not see me growing up. I do not have much affinity with my parents. And I really like my son. I do everything for him.When i have the conversation with my family,I will update.
Your family sounds very dysfunctional. And why do your brother and father have so much influence given that you probably don't know them all that well or have that much of a relationship with them? Are you desperate for their approval or something?

If you're worried about your son being spoiled, enlist a family therapist to learn about boundaries or take some parenting classes. Don't outsource the raising of your kid.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:07 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
OP, the only people who would think of sending a 7-year-old away to boarding school are incredibly rich (it is absolutely NOT the culture of any other social class). Does that describe your family?

I REALLY wanted to go to boarding school for high school, but I was from a very working-class family and I would have required a scholarship, which meant my family would have had to provide financial information to the school, which they refused to do. But I absolutely LOVED learning (still do -- I became a college professor) and I was INCREDIBLY independent, and I would have LOVED to go away to school. Alas, I never got the chance to.

But again, I was 14, not 7.

Honestly, I have a hard time believing the OP, unless somehow the top, what, 1/10th of 1% are posting on C-D looking for advice? Hmmm ...

Old 11-15-2017, 03:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
I asked Because I feel insecure a little and i would like to listen some opinions
Opinions from anonymous strangers in an internet forum?

Old 11-15-2017, 03:42 PM

1,092 posts, read 833,009 times
Think back to when YOU were 7 years old. How emotionally mature were you? How would you have liked being separated from family/friends MOST of the time? Please consider your son's well being more & your brother & family traditions less. I cannot imagine sending a teen, much less a 7year old. Wishing you & your child wisdom and peace with this decision.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:05 PM

12 posts, read 21,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, the only people who would think of sending a 7-year-old away to boarding school are incredibly rich (it is absolutely NOT the culture of any other social class). Does that describe your family?

I REALLY wanted to go to boarding school for high school, but I was from a very working-class family and I would have required a scholarship, which meant my family would have had to provide financial information to the school, which they refused to do. But I absolutely LOVED learning (still do -- I became a college professor) and I was INCREDIBLY independent, and I would have LOVED to go away to school. Alas, I never got the chance to.

But again, I was 14, not 7.

Honestly, I have a hard time believing the OP, unless somehow the top, what, 1/10th of 1% are posting on C-D looking for advice? Hmmm ...
Thanks for answering.Well like i said above,It is a family tradition. Yes I come from an Upper class family. And I do not see any contradiction because this is a parenting forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting