Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 08:56 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times

Advertisements

We have this book (originally published in the early 70s):

https://www.amazon.com/How-Babies-Ma...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 09:34 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post

They started describing how an egg is fertilized. He turned to me with a look of amazement, and said, "So you LAY EGGS????"

I was pregnant with my son lo these many moons ago and my 8 year old niece kept staring at me. Well, at my stomach actually. Finally she asked "Do you really have a baby in there?"

I said yes. She said - "Well you better get it out!"
Oh my gosh! That is hilarious! You lay eggs! Yup, sit on them every evening....LOL These are funny stories.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:46 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
I was breeding rabbits when I was 8 lol. I don't know how you could get to 12 years of age without knowing. My mom taught me about the animals when I was very young (3? 4?) and then extended the discussion to people.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:56 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
I was breeding rabbits when I was 8 lol. I don't know how you could get to 12 years of age without knowing. My mom taught me about the animals when I was very young (3? 4?) and then extended the discussion to people.
You don't. Not if you go to school! Boy, the things kids talked about on school buses. Learned 99% of my profanity on the school bus.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:12 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I'm talking about telling her about actual intercourse. No one is telling their preschooler about that!
People certainly do explain it to preschoolers, albeit in age-appropriate terms and depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Then she trotted down the hall to our old set of World Book Encyclopedias, came back with "S", opened it to "Sex", and said, "Here's your book, Mom." She proceeded to read from it, and when she came to the part where it said, "A man places his penis inside the woman's vagina..." she started laughing and said, "They make it sound as if you are putting something on a shelf."
Haha, yes, the encyclopedia. I had the basic concept figured out by second grade (between what I'd gleaned from classmates, movies/tv, and farming) but I wanted more details, so I looked it up in the encyclopedia at the library. I'm sure I wasn't the only kid to do so.

Nowadays with internet access the information is even more readily available, but unfortunately it's not all nice accurate cleanly-expressed information like that in the World Book.

I 100% guarantee your kid already knows about intercourse, unless you're keeping her in a box under the stairs. She might have some wrong ideas, but she knows.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:30 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You don't. Not if you go to school! Boy, the things kids talked about on school buses. Learned 99% of my profanity on the school bus.
I'm surprised it hasn't been part of her school curriculum by now. I know AP/IB Bio was offered to 9th graders (13-14 year olds) in my district. I don't remember what class came before that but knowledge of intercourse was assumed for AP/IB Bio.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
My dad decided to have "the talk" when I was 18. He told me he never was told anything and when my mom had her period, he tried to rush her to the hospital. We ended up chatting for a bit and I ended up answering other questions that no one had ever cleared up for him. I think that "talk" was a bit late. But if he had tried it when I was 14, I think I still would have known more about women and sex than he did.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:16 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
I was 10 when my father explained sex to me. I think it's good to know the basics before puberty.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:42 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,202 times
Quote:
Geez, you guys act like I have NEVER talked to my daughter about anything. Of course I've talked to her at age appropriate levels about relationships, love, etc. I'm talking about telling her about actual intercourse. No one is telling their preschooler about that!
My own daugther is 7 and knows pretty much the whole works. She has been informed on the basics of sexual biology since age 5. It is no mystery to her.

I do not think anyone is acting like you never talk to your daughter about anything. Rather they are merely commenting on the concept of "the" talk. Because it suggests that there should be one talk where you lay all these things out. Whereas they - like me - believe it should be one long conversation from a very early age that - hopefully - never really ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I tried obliquely to bring it up with my daughters about 11. They informed me I didn't need to bother because they already knew everything.
I would certainly never advise taking their word on that. They may think they know "everything" but have it all entirely wrong.

Go listen to some of the videos on a you tube channel like "Sexplanations" for example. The level of basic sexual ignorance even in some adults is quite shocking. Let alone in a pre-teen who has convinced themselves they know it all.

You do not want to find out too late that part of the "everything" they think they know are one of the little gems like "Virgins can not get pregnant".

Old 12-09-2017, 11:07 PM

426 posts, read 362,817 times
Quote:
Hi all! Sorry if there has been a thread on this before, but I could not find one!

My daughter will be 12 in March. We have already had the talk about menstruating over a year ago, but when should I have the sex talk? Other parents out there......How old were your children when you had the talk? I know I should be having this talk soon, but just wanted to hear from other parents. I'm very confident she has no clue about any of it right now, but I'm afraid if I wait too long she'll hear about it from friends and I don't want that to happen. Thanks!

If your daughter does not view you as someone she can open up to and spill her feelings to, just avoid the talk altogether.

You are not going to change any of her behaviors if the talk is incredibly awkward the whole time.

With that said, you might want to find another family member who can at least tell her what sexual terms mean.

I remember in middle school, kids kept asking me what a certain sexual term meant and I had learned it in class (an entirely different definition) and I kept saying that and everyone laughed at me.

It was so embarrassing and on top of that, I was too ashamed to ask my parents because I thought it was a bad word I was not supposed to say, so everyone laughed at me about it for a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting