Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 12:33 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times

Advertisements

I am a SAHM. I've had a few people ask me if they can drop their child off at my home while they work during the day. For free childcare. They seem surprised when I say no. They say that since I stay home all day, they thought it would be no problem for me to take their child. I have to explain that with 3 young kids, it's hard for me to babysit. And I don't stay home all day. I run errands, take kids to doctor/dentist/orthodontist/dance class, etc. I'm pretty busy.

I have a list of drop-in day care centers in our area, which I use myself whenever I get into a bind. I give them this info but they seem bummed about having to pay for daycare.

So I'm curious why people assume that SAHMs will provide free childcare? I know a "few" who babysit for extra money, but don't know any who babysit for free. Also, I stopped babysitting when I was in college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 01:10 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote
You know several moms who are asked to provide "free childcare " while they go to work? I just find that odd. Are you talking about on a regular basis or as an occasional favor when a friend is in a bind? My friends and I provided help to one another at various times and in various ways (exchanging babysitting on a date night for instance). I could possibly see being asked a favor in a bind. Your post makes it sound as if they expect you to provide regular daycare for free. That does seem usual and I go back to get better friends if that is the case..

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-29-2017 at 03:13 PM..

Old 11-29-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
. Are you talking about on a regular basis or as an occasional favor when a friend is in a bind? ..
I usually won't talk to them long enough to find out.....

Assuming a SAHM will do any babysitting at all is somewhat presumptuous. Even if it's a "in a bind" situation. There are drop-in daycares and people who babysit for a living they could contact.

I've had a friend ask me to babysit a friend's child for one to two weeks, I thought that was not only rude but weird, why would she want a stranger watching her child during the day? Woman doesn't even know me. I'd much rather take my child to a licensed daycare facility than a total stranger's house. There was also no offer to pay so I guess the bind she was in, was a financial one. oh well, tough.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I usually won't talk to them long enough to find out.....

Assuming a SAHM will do any babysitting at all is somewhat presumptuous. Even if it's a "in a bind" situation. There are drop-in daycares and people who babysit for a living they could contact.

I've had a friend ask me to babysit a friend's child for one to two weeks, I thought that was not only rude but weird, why would she want a stranger watching her child during the day? Woman doesn't even know me. I'd much rather take my child to a licensed daycare facility than a total stranger's house. There was also no offer to pay so I guess the bind she was in, was a financial one. oh well, tough.
"Assuming" yes; asking a friend for help in exchange for pay or an equivalent favor, no.

The example you give falls into the "find better friends" category. Your issue is the people you surround yourself with, not working moms v SAHM.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
"Assuming" yes; asking a friend for help in exchange for pay or an equivalent favor, no.

The example you give falls into the "find better friends" category. Your issue is the people you surround yourself with, not working moms v SAHM.
Most people I know don't make such requests, so the problem is not the friends that I surround myself with, as you incorrectly stated. I even stated in the OP that it was a "few people" so go back and read.

And the woman who wanted me to provide her with free childcare, was someone I didn't know. Someone else was asking me on her behalf.

People have misconceptions about SAHMS in society. Having those misconceptions doesn't make them a bad person, it just means they haven't learned better. It also doesn't necessarily mean they would be bad friends. I wouldn't even end a friendship with someone who had those misconceptions, I would just try to educate them.

So NO, the issue is not me and the people I surround myself with. Nice try, though, Maciesmom.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:37 PM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,999 times
Quote:
I am a SAHM. I've had a few people ask me if they can drop their child off at my home while they work during the day. For free childcare. They seem surprised when I say no. They say that since I stay home all day, they thought it would be no problem for me to take their child. I have to explain that with 3 young kids, it's hard for me to babysit. And I don't stay home all day. I run errands, take kids to doctor/dentist/orthodontist/dance class, etc. I'm pretty busy.

I have a list of drop-in day care centers in our area, which I use myself whenever I get into a bind. I give them this info but they seem bummed about having to pay for daycare.

So I'm curious why people assume that SAHMs will provide free childcare? I know a "few" who babysit for extra money, but don't know any who babysit for free. Also, I stopped babysitting when I was in college.
Yes, I had this happen several times as a young sahm and it always shocked me and the only time I relented was when a neighbour couldn't find a babysitter and it was an emergency and for one day. She tried to get me to babysit for a week and I said I could only do it for one week but I would be charging babysitting fees. She didn't take me up on it. By the way these were not friends of mine but neighbours, or friends of neighbours.

Their logic was pretty much the same as the one you get, so I hear you and understand. I think you handle it very well by the way.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Yes, I had this happen several times as a young sahm and it always shocked me and the only time I relented was when a neighbour couldn't find a babysitter and it was an emergency and for one day. She tried to get me to babysit for a week and I said I could only do it for one week but I would be charging babysitting fees. She didn't take me up on it. By the way these were not friends of mine but neighbours, or friends of neighbours.
It sounds like she didn't intend to pay you at all, and hoped to get free babysitting service. No wonder she declined the offer.

Although it might be hard for some people to believe, this goes on and not necessarily with "friends".

Another situation I have dealt with recently: Just a couple of weeks ago, the grandmother (who I've never met before, so not a 'friend') of my daughter's school friends brought her two granddaughters over after school. I'd never met this woman, although my daughter knows the two girls. I was shocked to see them on my doorstep. I asked her what she wanted, and she said the girls just wanted to come over and play, so she was dropping them off. I felt embarrassed for her, but I told her no, that my daughter had a play date at the house already, plus I have young twin toddlers in the house. And that six kids would be too much for me. I just find it bizarre she'd drop her two grandkids off at my house without knowing who I am or anything about me. But she apparently knows I'm a SAHM who is home after school. This information is often spread around the neighborhood or people find out that there's a mom staying home during the day. So they try to take advantage.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:54 PM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Perhaps it falls under "Never hurts to ask." I would just always convey the message "I'm too busy with my own kids and household to take on babysitting." and offer them a list. It does seem as though maybe this is part of the complex that some SAHMS have when they think that others think they have a lot of free time on their hands when they don't hold down a job outside the home.

I never asked anyone to watch my children, and no one asked me to watch theirs.

Could a friend, relative or neighbor be suggesting others ask you thus bringing in such requests? People that could say that you were great with kids and could be trusted?

Old 11-29-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Well, if you've never heard of it, there's not much you can really add to this discussion. I do know other moms who have had the same problem I do, with people asking them to babysit. So it does go on. That's why I opened up this discussion.
Quote:
Most people I know don't make such requests, so the problem is not the friends that I surround myself with, as you incorrectly stated. I even stated in the OP that it was a "few people" so go back and read.

And the woman who wanted me to provide her with free childcare, was someone I didn't know. Someone else was asking me on her behalf.

People have misconceptions about SAHMS in society. Having those misconceptions doesn't make them a bad person, it just means they haven't learned better. It also doesn't necessarily mean they would be bad friends. I wouldn't even end a friendship with someone who had those misconceptions, I would just try to educate them.

So NO, the issue is not me and the people I surround myself with. Nice try, though, Maciesmom.
Ok...so it happens a fair amount of times to you and your friends that strangers approach you for free daycare.

Sounds more like someone wants to stir up SAH vs working moms. Yawn. So old. Hopefully we're beyond that.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-29-2017 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: off topic and rude

Old 11-29-2017, 02:04 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
I've had a few people ask me if they can drop their child off at my home while they work during the day. For free childcare.
Those scrubs would be removed from my "friends" list. It's different if they're in a bind or something, but not "just because".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting