Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 01:09 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times

Advertisements

Way too many dependencies and variations - kids are very very different. One requires tons of attention, another doesn't. Age matters. 1yr old requires a different amount and different type of attention than a 5 yr old than a 10 yr old than an 18yr old.

Time to yourself and date nights also depend heavily on support - do you have family around that could watch the kid? Money for babysitter? etc.

Also, and this is important...having less time to yourself is not nearly as difficult as the emotional toll. Again, that varies depending on the kid. Mine is difficult in and out so the emotional toll is high.

Best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 07:37 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
A lot of people have mentioned that it depends on the kid. That is very true. It also depends on the parent. If you want it to, you can let childcare consume every one of your waking moments. You can definitely spend every one of their waking moments doing something with or for them. When the kids are sleeping you can always find something that needs to be done. Alternately you can turn on the TV and just otherwise ignore them (at least past the newborn stage). There are parents at both extremes. Obviously most healthy people fall somewhere in between, but there can be a pretty big healthy range.

Personally, I’d say I get about an hour a night of time that isn’t devoted to some aspect of my kids. They are 1 and 3. They go to bed somewhere between 7-8 PM—usually closer to 8. I got to bed around 9:30. Add in about 30 minutes-hour of chores once they are asleep and there’s your hour. Considering that schedule gives me 7 hours of sleep it’s not bad at all. There’s less if I have some work work to do at home, though. If you count my 50 minute commute to/from work there’s more. Not exactly me time, but since 30 minutes of it are a brisk walk, it does help keep my head clear. We didn’t do date nights even when we were childless, but if we wanted to we could make that happen pretty easily.

I will say that the hardest part is how constant the need is. You don’t get days off. Especially, if, like me, your nearest relative is a six hour drive away. That’s the part that gets to my wife. Luckily it rolls off my back so I am happy to take our girls out and give her a bit of a break. In a real pinch she will show them a video on the TV. We try to limit that, which is a choice on our part.

I will say that however hard it might be for me, when I pick them up or come home from work and they run and give me a huge hug and scream daddy daddy it is totally worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting