Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 12:30 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times

Advertisements

My parents does this with my brother's children. The oldest is 2. She is constantly showering them with gifts. Even on the holidays like Christmas, Easter, Valentine's Day etc. and their birthdays. Then I overhear my mom complain about money. My sister-in-law has complained to me about my parents' too many gifts giving. I think my brother may of complained to my mom about it then she got upset so they just allow my parents do what they want when it comes to giving gifts.

Nowadays, most Grandparents have less Grandchildren than years past. So, I can see it happening and becoming a common occurrence that they are overindulging them with gifts. If they can afford it, then more power to them.

My worry is I don't want my niece and nephew growing up to be ungrateful, spoiled brats with a sense of entitlement. This is especially true if one of my parents die and less money will be available to spend on them. My dad is a bit older than my mom so I can see that happening.

My parents, especially my mom completely revolves her life around the grandchildren and my brother along with the wife. They don't really have outside hobbies or friends separate from them. It doesn't seem a big deal right now because the kids are still very young and both parents are still alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 05:06 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,662,714 times
Stay out of this, this situation is between your brother/SIL and your parents. Grandparents often spoil their Grandchildren if your Brother/SIL feel that it is going overboard they will address it. If they chose to back down and continue to allow it, there is nothing you can do. Maybe you could plan a couple of activities with your parents that will give them something besides the grandchildren to focus on.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:33 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
I agree that it has nothing to do with you. If less money is available to spend on them down the road, then they have to adjust. I agree that your brother and sil are the ones to say something if they are uncomfortable with the situation. My kids have two sets of grandparents who don't spoil them, but do send gifts for holidays. Assuming the grandparents also spend copious amounts of time with their grandchildren, they are very lucky indeed.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I have no idea if it is becoming more or less common, or neither. I know I was never spoiled by grandparents. There were too many for any of us to be spoiled. My kids' grandparents do get them more gifts than I'd like. It isn't completely out of hand, and there isn't really anything I can do about it. We did draw the line at TV's for their rooms.

They aren't your kids, so there really isn't anything you can do about it. If their parents object, let them deal with it.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:39 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Grandparents giving their grandchildren gifts does not make them into entitled brats. Grandparents have been spoiling their grandchildren since the beginning of time. Don’t worry about it. They’re not your kids.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:45 AM

1,078 posts, read 937,114 times
You can’t really spoil a kid - they’re not a dairy product. And attention and gifts may cause some entitlement or ungratefulness, as if that is the norm and when the gifts stop something is wrong, but that’s really for the parents to address.

Best choice generally is to request experience gifts, like passes to the zoo or a nature walk with the local botanical garden. The. The gift creates nice memories and doesn’t clutter up the house, or get tossed aside into the morass of toys and gadgets.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:08 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I like to be the grandma that always says yes. Cookies for breakfast? Sure. Dessert before dinner? Sure. Stay up late? OK. Parents can be in charge of enforcing rules, but I did my time in that department already.

I have found though, that always buying gifts is not a good idea. If the first greeting you get from a grandchild is, “what did you bring me?” then you’re doing something wrong.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:37 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I think it has always been that way. Grandparents are entitled to spoil the grand-kids and then leave the parents to deal with the fallout.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:37 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Pfft. They're 2. And grandparents don't spoil kids (unless they are the primary care providers), parents do.

Sounds like you're jealous of the attention your parents are paying to their grandchildren and are looking for some way to legitimize your negativity.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:23 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,044 times
Are your parents asking you for money to pay for their needs? I ask because if that's the case, I'd be annoyed with them and I'd tell them no. If not, then I'd keep quiet and let my sibling take care of it if it's that big a deal.

Also, I helped to "spoil" the kids in our family and none are entitled jerks. But they were reminded that no one has to buy them anything and that they should not be upset if they don't get what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting