Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2017, 04:50 AM

173 posts, read 134,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Interesting reading. I'm glad mine are grown. My thoughts:

Now that we have all the details, a 15 yo with a 12 yo bf, I'm even less inclined than I was before to say yes. I didn't follow that other thread, don't know what the 12 yo's family situation is, sounds like "not good". The 12 yo is certainly young to be spending his Christmas with another family. Will the kids see each other in church, either Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day?
Usually, though his family don't always attend over Christmas due to travelling I think.

I don't think Christmas is the happiest time of the year for this boy - he lives with his grandparents and my son told me when his mom and her new husband/kids come to visit he is pretty much ignored.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:36 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
zesty2, out of curiosity, how many kids do you have, and how old are they?

Old 12-17-2017, 05:54 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
I’m cracking up, zesty. You had me for a few posts before I realized you were trolling.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:22 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftSleepyKitten View Post
I feel Christmas is a family affair so I want my family/closest friends around. I wouldn’t want some child my sons been “dating” for under 3 months around. I can’t understand why anyone would.
Apparently that "child" is one of your son's closest friends.

It's not all about you.

Your son should spend time with you, of course, but if he chooses to spend some time with the girlfriend or boyfriend, as well, I see nothing strange about that at all.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:35 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
I'm not giving into someone because they pout. Way to show you have no authority.

"Mom! Can I have a new car?" "No!"

***Pouts***

"OK, you can have a new car!"
Such brilliant insights!

Two pages of responses that make it loud and clear you have no children, nor any idea how to multi-quote.
Where have we seen this before, hmmmm? A certain "camp counselor" comes to mind.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:54 AM

173 posts, read 134,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Apparently that "child" is one of your son's closest friends.

It's not all about you.

Your son should spend time with you, of course, but if he chooses to spend some time with the girlfriend or boyfriend, as well, I see nothing strange about that at all.
I know it’s not all about me but I think it is okay to feel some apprehension. For me Christmas is about having a relaxing time with those I love and our family which we don’t see too often will be visiting.

I know his boyfriend and we didn’t get on so well last time. If he behaved the same way it would not be a great atmosphere for him or the rest of my family. Even if my son visits his family I’d be worried about him if the child still acts the same way.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:05 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
I know it’s not all about me but I think it is okay to feel some apprehension. For me Christmas is about having a relaxing time with those I love and our family which we don’t see too often will be visiting.

I know his boyfriend and we didn’t get on so well last time. If he behaved the same way it would not be a great atmosphere for him or the rest of my family. Even if my son visits his family I’d be worried about him if the child still acts the same way.
I understand, but it's about the same thing for your son, in terms of fun and relaxation. I don't think there's any need to let them spend the entire day together at either home, but I don't understand why it has to be an all-or-nothing deal, either. Surely you can carve out an hour or two to allow them to see each other without any serious damage to your own plans, time that your son might otherwise have spent in his room when he wanted, as teens often will, a bit of "me" time? He should still have plenty of hours to spend with the extended family, particularly if they will be there for more than one day, and if they are not, why not let the kids get together after everyone has departed?

You want the day to be happy, and his memories of these family times to be fond ones. You will be greatly assisted in this if you allow him at least a few moments to spend time as he chooses. My presence was always expected at holiday meals when I was a teen, but later on, in the early evening, I was never forbidden from getting together with friends. A Christmas night movie with them was nearly as traditional, for me, as turkey and stuffing.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:38 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
I’m hoping the answer will be no.
My teenager is 15 and has been asking to do this which I just find odd.
Yes. Why do you hope the answer would be no?

Old 12-17-2017, 07:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
If the parents are working on Christmas, you should just have the son dump the girl right there.

If the family is THAT self absorbed about money to work on Christmas, she's pretty much doomed to actually care about people.

The only exception is if the family needs that money to pay their bills. In that case, yeah you probably should have them over because there is definitely not going to be a celebration at home.
I know you're trolling in the middle of the night, at least the middle of my night in Colorado, so I've tried to ignore this stuff or get a few laughs out of it.

However, as a nurse, I've had to work many Christmases. So do many other professionals.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:16 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
I’m hoping the answer will be no.
My teenager is 15 and has been asking to do this which I just find odd.

Have you laid down the ground rules to your daughter, and made sure her parents understand the rules too for your daughter? Better do it before you even consider the offer. Otherwise, you might get a late Christmas present in October 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting