Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 11:08 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,859,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've seen small children ordering their parents around like that, but without the profanities. There's a parenting philosophy (whose source I have yet to discover or fathom) that allows kids to call their parents by their first names, and to bark orders at them, and the parents scurry around as if their calling in life is to be step-and-fetch-its to their kids. It's bizarre, and a bit painful to watch. If anyone has any clue where this parenting style came from, please enlighten us. I first observed it among boomer parents who had their kids late in life, so AFAIK, it started sometime in the late 80's or so.
I'm not bashing my husband and SIL... but I've noticed this kind of dynamic in their relationship with their mother. Obviously they're adults, but I was admittedly a bit aghast at how, when we are all visiting, my DH and SIL just sit back, relax and boss their mother around.

I did actually ask her about it once (as nicely as possible)- and she said she didn't mind - she enjoys looking after them. Ironically, she's a baby boomer who had kids later in life.

My husband and my own children would have another thing coming if they treated me that way though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 09:26 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,280,938 times
Many parents do not give their children the discipline they need because they are afraid some snitch non-parent is gonna call child social services on them and put their children in foster care, where the government's own statistics show that a child is 16 times more likely to suffer abuse requiring hospitilization.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:10 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,805,105 times
So full confession here... I have a kid who has been playing Minecraft on the basement computer since he was about 10. He is 12 now. He plays online with his friends. I have on occasion heard him yell when he’s losing and have caught him cursing out his fellow gamers on his headset more than once. When he’s in the basement I can’t really hear what’s he’s doing so I only hear it if I go down to do laundry or something.

He and his friends will stop if they know I’m there, and he’ll apologize. He has never cursed at me or his dad. He’s never been a problem at school or at his friends’ houses. He’s an all around normal kid and he’s not disrespectful to me at all.

I don’t care that he curses when he’s mad at his video games. I don’t bother correcting him or punishing him for it. He seems to know to keep that language away from adults or school, etc.

I don’t think he’s the only kid like this.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:46 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,367,819 times
Just tell them to stop using the bad words around younger children, if they don't comply, talk to their parents. I've found that parents who think other kids are bad, have kids who misbehave also. We can certainly criticize others children but we have to look at what's going on with our kids, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting