U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 03:34 PM

2,791 posts, read 2,981,753 times

Advertisements

I think it’s *extremely* important for parents to have time away from their children(especially together if the parents are married)...but three weeks is a really long time to leave a 5-year-old. And I would have major reservations about leaving my kid with “a family from school”. One, I wouldn’t want to impose on the family. Three weeks is a long time to host a child that’s not yours. And two, I don’t think my kids would be comfortable with that arrangement.

When I left town overnight without my kids, they stayed with my parents/in-laws (or they came to our house), my sister/BIL, or my college roommate who I’ve known for years and who has known my kids since infancy. In other words, only people I know really, really well and who know my kids really, really well.

The longest I’ve ever been away is 10 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 03:46 PM

3,316 posts, read 1,405,420 times
3 weeks? Nope.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:49 PM

20,996 posts, read 1,781,213 times
How well does she know the family who offered to take him in?

Old 12-17-2017, 03:51 PM

3,535 posts, read 2,613,589 times
Yes. My husband and I take 2-3 short trips each year by ourselves, usually conferences or weekend getaways for 3-4 days. The longest was probably a week. When we are away, our kids are watched by either my in laws, my Dad, or (when we lived in a city away from our family) a trusted college aged babysitter whose family lived in the neighborhood.

Leaving a 5 year old with a classmate's family for 3 weeks to go out of the country is probably not something I would do, however.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:53 PM

12,101 posts, read 6,361,226 times
My parents took a couple vacations by themselves each year - maybe a week or 10 days each...and we had a family vacation each year. Usually my grandma (my mom's mom) took care of my sister and I though when we were older we actually stayed by ourselves with check-ins by a relative.

They enjoyed it and so did we! ...three weeks is a bit longer but hey - kids go to boarding schools all the time.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:50 PM

1,940 posts, read 732,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dihseewnrds View Post
My friend has a 5 year old son and she wants to join me and another friend to go party and travel in Europe for 3 weeks.

She is a single mother, so she said she knows a family from her sonís school who said they will look after her son while she is gone.

Do you travel without your children?
My daughter is 18 now but yes, we did get away periodically by ourselves.

I think that it's healthy and necessary for parents to take trips by themselves once in a while for some alone time.

It's great that your friend has someone that she can trust to watch her son for an extended time. Her son will probably also see it as a fun change from the usual routine.

We had a family friend who would watch our daughter for a couple / few nights while we were gone. My husband's sister also watched our daughter overnight several times for us.

Trust me, you will go insane if you don't get away once in a while.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:38 PM

3,538 posts, read 2,820,975 times
Rarely. Not when they were 5. And not for three weeks.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:56 PM

576 posts, read 275,331 times
No, and I definitely wouldn't during the school year for 3 weeks with a non family member.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:04 PM

10,027 posts, read 6,148,393 times
3 weeks to party, no way. Not at age 5. Not even close. Maybe as a teen.

Also, isn't it a lot to ask someone to watch your kid for 3 weeks? Unless she is willing to pay very well and they want to make the money.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:40 PM

467 posts, read 299,567 times
I've taken solo trips back home to visit home (4-5 day long) and several short long weekend trips with my girlfriends over the years since my oldest was born 6.5 years ago. For those trips, it's often my DH who've watched over them and vice versa with me whenever he went on his guys trips for similar length of time.

We did go away couple of times (both times we had our reliable same babysitter since we brought our oldest home from hospital) and it was either one day/night to a weekend away. We enjoy and believe doing it for our healthy state of beings and marriage too.

no way in how I would leave a 5 year old with a family from school for 3 long weeks. So many things could go wrong for that length of time, it reminds me of a time when I was 9 my mother went off to Thailand for 3 weeks with her boyfriend! that was 31 years ago when flights were longer too, so often I thought if something happened to me and she needed to come home...which she wouldn't be able to till a full day/night later due to length of flight, connecting flights, etc. no way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or