U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 08:28 AM

2,445 posts, read 861,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dihseewnrds View Post
My friend has a 5 year old son and she wants to join me and another friend to go party and travel in Europe for 3 weeks.

She is a single mother, so she said she knows a family from her sonís school who said they will look after her son while she is gone.

Do you travel without your children?
We always travel with our kids. I did stay home once, while my wife and kids visited her family, long overdue trip for her, but I could not get off.

I could not/would not ever leave our children with anyone. We are here for them, we a parents, and have a family to be a family. I find it selfish to leave the kids with grandma or others. off time from work should be spent together. An evening away is one thing, but 3 weeks is pushing the envelope, especially with neighbors.

what if something happens to you ? what if something happens to your kids? I would hate to have to rush home from vacation, pay the high airfare fee, and fly in "desperation mode" with my stomach in knots.

all this traveling with friends crap should have happened before the children were conceived. or wait until they are old enough to handle themselves. We have even gone as far as bringing gramps, or a relative with us on vacation, if we wanted a night for ourselves. the expense is worth the peace of mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 08:57 AM

1,258 posts, read 904,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
We always travel with our kids. I did stay home once, while my wife and kids visited her family, long overdue trip for her, but I could not get off.

I could not/would not ever leave our children with anyone. We are here for them, we a parents, and have a family to be a family. I find it selfish to leave the kids with grandma or others. off time from work should be spent together. An evening away is one thing, but 3 weeks is pushing the envelope, especially with neighbors.

what if something happens to you ? what if something happens to your kids? I would hate to have to rush home from vacation, pay the high airfare fee, and fly in "desperation mode" with my stomach in knots.

all this traveling with friends crap should have happened before the children were conceived. or wait until they are old enough to handle themselves. We have even gone as far as bringing gramps, or a relative with us on vacation, if we wanted a night for ourselves. the expense is worth the peace of mind.
Just because parents want some time to themselves doesn't mean they're selfish, a couple weekends a year away from their parents doesn't hurt a child in the least. Good for the parents, good for the child.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:37 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,689,981 times
Everybody is different. Usually when parents go someplace without their children is because the grandparents step in and either stay with the kids or take them in a vacation of their own. We, as parents, might need some time off from time to time, but also need wonderful family vacations. However I would only leave my kids with family blood family I trust (grandparents, etc). I personally wouldn't leave a small kid with "some friends". Who are these friends? how well do you know them? Who is coming in their house? What kind of parents they are? What kind of rules they have for their kids? Too many unknowns... too risky...

Old 12-18-2017, 10:18 AM

24,558 posts, read 13,667,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Anecdotal, but I have never met a parent who would leave their 5 year old to vacation for 3 weeks, let alone with another family and not members of their own family. Most parents I know get twitchy after being away from the kids for a few days and they're only gone for up to a week.
Absolutely. 3 weeks at five years old left with friends? Nope. Would not even consider it.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:29 AM

16,149 posts, read 8,419,103 times
A week, kid staying with grandparents or an aunt and uncle, I could see. Although as a single parent, I've never had enough money to pay for multiple vacations (sometimes none at all) and I'd rather have the time with my kid than go away without them.

But 3 weeks, staying with some family she knows from school? Never in a million years.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:07 AM

1,525 posts, read 617,221 times
LOL. My kids traveled without us from the moment they were two years

My parents had a time share in Aruba which they would take all t he grandkids for weeks in the summer and my in laws would go to Portugal to visit their relatives.

My son's passports look way better than ours. lol

Old 12-18-2017, 11:11 AM

1,525 posts, read 617,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post

I try not to live my life in a constant "what if the worst happens" mode. You tend to actually miss out in life.

Peace of mind?? well I figured that since my parents managed to get myself and my siblings to adulthood without dropping us on our head, although we have our suspicions with our little bro, we figured they must have some idea of what to do.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:00 PM

2,445 posts, read 861,563 times
To each his own. We have many memories vacationing with our kids, especially when they could fly free,sitting on our lap! Our kids have been to many places, and have their old passports , in addition to pics and vids, for memories. Our first kid went out the country with us twice a year, so we are conditioning him to take vacations.

It's hard for us to leave them with 70+ years old grand parents, would rather take the grand parents with us , as a treat for them, and to benefit us. Just seeing my mom have tears of joy, when she saw the pretty colors in Aruba , and pass her some gambling money for the slots. She still talks about it.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:23 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,503,927 times
Yes. I'd leave my kids with family (and have) or with family friends. We don't have any family around so our friends are our family. We also travel a lot with our kids.

I'm not sure I'd do it for three weeks to party though.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:25 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,804,803 times
We have vacationed without the kids for 3 nights at a time while leaving the kids with grandma. Grandma is not up for keeping them longer than that. She is exhausted after 3 nights. We think as they get older she will be able to handle a full week, though my kids are not babies as it is (8 and 11) so maybe not. We don't want to ask her for more than she is comfortable with.

Generally, we vacation together with the kids anyway. We have also vacationed together with the kids and with grandma, so that we can have some time to ourselves on vacation while grandma watches the kids at the hotel or whatever. On our most recent trip we went to a resort that had a "kids club", so we were able to send the kids there while we did an adult tour without them. That seems to work out well for us so that we still get to vacation together, but also get some adult time.

I have never gone on any vacation for 3 weeks at a time, with or without the kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or