U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 10:04 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,647,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Exactly! It doesnít have to be never or 3 weeks. Some time away from the kids is healthy and on the practical side not all vacations are child friendly.
And there's nothing wrong with three weeks either...

To each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 10:05 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,629,990 times
Not for anything more than a weekend. My kids have been to fantastic places and have a real thirst for travel, different cuisines, adventures and other ways of living. Vacations take up a disproportionate amount of memory for good reason, and its a fantastic time to be a parent.
Going off and leaving a 5yr old to party for three weeks? ....

Old 12-29-2017, 10:07 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,629,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

To each his own.
Why not one year?

Three weeks is a long time in a 5yr old's life. To each his own is not a mantra for responsible parenting, its a mantra for I'll do whatever the **** I like.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:24 AM

1,346 posts, read 1,003,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Not for anything more than a weekend. My kids have been to fantastic places and have a real thirst for travel, different cuisines, adventures and other ways of living. Vacations take up a disproportionate amount of memory for good reason, and its a fantastic time to be a parent.
Going off and leaving a 5yr old to party for three weeks? ....
We did family vacations and child free vacations. Both type of vacations are great.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

To each his own.
My point was just because people arenít comfortable being away for 3 weeks doesnít mean they canít take a few days.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:19 PM

455 posts, read 310,946 times
I wouldn't, I just couldn't. It would drive me crazy and I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself so I'd find a vacation for all of us to enjoy and or some kind of helper to allow for me to have some moments where said child is occupied (like bring a relative along to babysit and compensate them or comp their stay etc.)

It all depends on how old the child is, what their needs are, how much money you have, how you feel about leaving them, how they feel about being left, where you're going and how long etc. who is watching them when you're not there and so on. SO many variables.

But for me, no.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:23 PM

455 posts, read 310,946 times
Quote:
Why not one year?

Three weeks is a long time in a 5yr old's life. To each his own is not a mantra for responsible parenting, its a mantra for I'll do whatever the **** I like.
This. I think all parents understand needing some quiet time or time away from being a parent but in the end you're a parent and your life is different now. I know some parents who are just in love with their kids and enjoy them while I know others who really never bonded with their kids and just wanted to get back on the party circuit once the baby was out of them. I know some parents who freak out over bumps and scrapes and others who see their kid smack their head into a wall and then rub it and say "you're ok" while on their cell phone (yeah, I've SEEN this.)

My judgmental self does wonder why after only 5 years you would want to leave your child for 3 weeks. :/ I just don't think that way.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
This. I think all parents understand needing some quiet time or time away from being a parent but in the end you're a parent and your life is different now. I know some parents who are just in love with their kids and enjoy them while I know others who really never bonded with their kids and just wanted to get back on the party circuit once the baby was out of them. I know some parents who freak out over bumps and scrapes and others who see their kid smack their head into a wall and then rub it and say "you're ok" while on their cell phone (yeah, I've SEEN this.)

My judgmental self does wonder why after only 5 years you would want to leave your child for 3 weeks. :/ I just don't think that way.
Most of us are in between the two extremes you mentioned. My husband and I are involved parents but we are also people in our own right. The kids are the most important part of our lives but not the only part.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:26 PM

583 posts, read 251,547 times
I have no issue with adults taking vacations away from the kids, but wow. I can't imagine leaving a five year-old with a random family from school for three weeks. I might give it a pass if the kid was going to be with grandparents or something, but it sounds like this woman would dump her kid on a crackhead living in an alley if it meant she could have her "fun time."

Old 12-29-2017, 02:46 PM

27,993 posts, read 19,647,023 times
Quote:
Why not one year?

Interestingly enough, many parents actually did leave their children for a year or sometimes more. Those in the upper classes would go on trips to Europe or America for months on end. Others left their homeland, leaving their families behind, to start a new life in another country.

To each his own is a great mantra for understanding that what works for me may not work for you.

Quite arrogant to believe only my way is the right way, wouldn't you say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or