U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 02:18 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,011,976 times

Advertisements

I don't know why you're not packing right now! The first time there was an issue, I would have let the landlord know that if it continues that you'd be moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 03:03 PM

104 posts, read 42,130 times
I wonder if a racial differences have something to do with this situation, or socioeconomic differences, stereotypically speaking.
As in some communities the threat of the showel across a face is a figure of speech vs in other communities it is a threat.

I would second the advice to find another rental, so you won’t uproot kids- not because it is bad for them; it is just easier on your family not to start anew in every aspect of your life.
The reason to move: life is too short to come home every day and hope you won’t cross pass with your neighbors- something unpleasant to look forward.

I second the notion that something is not right with your criteria of a normal behavior- why would you stay in that place for 5 years without taking any measures prior to the latest escalation?
Minimum: talk to a landlord,a lawyer? Police if warranted.
There could be more bad neighbors, could be even next to the house you are going to buy! What is next then? You need to learn to protect your lifestyle within the framework the society affords you.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:19 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,284,798 times
Move now, you're in an unsafe environment!!

The kids are young and will adapt just fine to a new school. I would move now before they get any older. The older they get, the harder it will be on them. At their ages they won't even blink!

Old 12-19-2017, 03:27 PM

4,494 posts, read 2,745,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Move now, you're in an unsafe environment!!

The kids are young and will adapt just fine to a new school. I would move now before they get any older. The older they get, the harder it will be on them. At their ages they won't even blink!
the older the get, the more influenced they'll become by the neighborhood and before you know it they'll be like those people. They're learning that behavior right now

Old 12-19-2017, 04:46 PM

19,832 posts, read 36,314,136 times
Preacher's kid here. Moved at 3 months, 18 months, 5 years, 10 years, 13 years. My sister moved more often. We're just fine. On the other hand, living in the environment you describe, OP, could do LOTS of damage if you stay there - in fact, I'm concerned that your eldest has apparently lived in that situation for five years of their life.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:31 PM

8,005 posts, read 5,258,332 times
If any kind of physical assault occurred and the police were called and a report was filed, even if you did not issue a complaint, then you have what you need to file a protective restraining order. That may not stop anything but it will result in felony assault charges, not just some simple misdemeanor.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:33 PM

426 posts, read 139,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Really - you couldn't work out that means that when the OP is at the playground with her kids the neighbor in question, with her friends, stare down the OP? You don't even understand what the word "threat" means yet you are going to get picky on something which is obvious on its face.

I apologize. I did not read the last paragraph and those people didn't seem like the type that would have kids.

I thought the last paragraph was just a long way of asking for advice.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The neighbor who threatened to attack the OP has already attacked her husband. He also blares rap music out the window and tried to break the OP's windows and glares at them and all kinds of other things. I would take the threat very seriously indeed, as it seems that these low-life scum neighbors are perfectly willing to back up their words with actions.

They attacked the husband only after their husband confronted them.

We can't know for sure if they would have been attacked on their own.

My biggest problem is these people didn't turn into low lives overnight.

You co-existed for 5 years with no issues. What changed in the last 3 months?

Old 12-19-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I don't know. I'm a 40 year old adult and I had to move half way through kindergarten and it did effect me greatly and I had trouble making friends moving to a new town and new schools mid year. I was "the new kid" for that first year and nobody would talk to me. I definitely wouldn't keep my kids in a dangerous situation but I also wouldn't discount the effect of uprooting kids even at that age

I agree with this a lot.

The opposite is only true if you're either outgoing or don't mind being a loner.

Kids wouldn't dread the first day of school every year if everyone made friends easily.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
All I can say to this mess is

Despite what "zesty" may think, people have snapped and killed over lesser things. Like others, I hope the OP has used this time to get out of there.

If people kill over lesser things, who's to say they won't move next to a couple that's just as bad?

Moving isn't like returning a dress. You can't just do it over and over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or