Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 09:30 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times

Advertisements

I've moved in a big hurry before because of a dangerous neighbor. Your kids will be better off moving suddenly than dealing with those neighbors.

It's going to take a while to buy a house, that's not something you can do in a day or two. You'll have to have time for inspection, appraisal, closing, etc. Plus it's a bad idea to buy something in a huge hurry that you may be stuck living in for years. You might consider putting your belongings in storage and staying in an extended-stay motel until you can find a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 09:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
You have no lease, so find a different place to rent in the same school district, across town if possible. House hunt from the new rental.

It seems like you think the only options are with family. I don't understand why you can't just rent a different apartment for a few months. If less than one year leases are hard to find in your area, check for short term sublets.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:24 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
By all means, get out of there ASAP. Your children won’t be harmed at this age by pulling them from school, but it sounds like much worse things could happen if you stay.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:28 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Why not get a cheap month-to-month rental or similar and move into that while you start house-hunting in earnest?

Switching schools isn't such a big deal at that age, but I don't see why you couldn't just find a place in your current school district if you want to avoid that disruption.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:44 AM

579 posts, read 367,483 times
I had a lousy neighbor once (but not nearly as bad). When the landlord refused to do anything about it, I moved out two days later.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:50 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
It sounds unsafe for all of you. It might be better financially for you to ride it out, but in this case
"out of harms way" trumps that and anything else that would keep you there.

If you do have family that you could live with, check and see if you can. Otherwise, look at a short term rental. I would think that your LL would let you out of any kind of lease knowing what you are going through.

These people are dangerous. And anyone they associate with are likely the same type. No inconvenience would be enough to keep me there if there was any other option. And a female being threatened like you were is particularly unsafe.

I know that it isn't right to have to be afraid in your own home and that we grow up learning how to call the authorities and such, but this obviously hasn't stopped these unhinged folks.

You also have obviously been putting up with these people for 5 years. You are not operating to full capacity regarding rational thinking because in a sense you have forgotten what it is to have "normal" non-violent neighbors.

This is not normal. Your response to his threat is not normal....You call the police when someone does anything like that, you don't wait for your husband to get home. This horrible situation has escalated into physical violence.

You don't think of how to reason with someone like that. You cannot deal rationally with irrational people. This guy threatened to beat you in the head with a shovel....your child witnessed this verbal assault....This is not a rational man. And his wife is just as irrational.....there is no safety net here, the wife wasn't trying to diffuse her husbands temper....both of them are violent. This is the worst case scenario.

You are actually suffering from shock imo. And because they have lived next to you you seem to have been conditioned to their behavior. It is similar to how oftentimes an abused spouse responds, afraid to go and afraid to stay.

This is keeping you from reacting like most of us reading your post are, with suggestions of get the heck out of there. As in pack an overnight bag and run. You can get friends and family to come help you move....but you need to physically be away from there asap.

Do what is best for you and your family immediately. Go to another rental, or short term go to your husbands family....don't add to this stress by going to your mom's. And don't leave a forwarding address.

Last edited by JanND; 12-18-2017 at 03:28 AM.. Reason: quotes, edit text

Old 12-18-2017, 08:38 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
go to the police, file a restraining order. call the cops every single time they try some BS. dont hesitate! they dont care about you, so why should you care about them?

after a few visits from the police, they would think twice about making your life miserable. do they own their home, or do they rent? how about writing to the property owner, and letting them know what is going on? what about reporting any little thing wrong that they do with all city agencies? do they fight with each other? call the cops on a domestic abuse complaint. they will eventually be full of legal fees, they will want to move.

when you do move, I hope it is soon, make sure you pay them back for any inconvenience.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:46 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It sounds like they are going to try and escalate things. Will your landlord let you out of your lease? Is staying with your in-laws while you look for another place a real option?
call the cops, call the landlord. this is not safe for you. pr your children. i'd resume house hunting right now (I bought 2 houses at Xmas time) and Id pull the kids out of school. First grade is nothing, they can catch up. Safety is most important now. Do anything you could to get out of there.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:18 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Yes get out of there quick. Today if not yesterday. Some people are just impossible to deal with. Do whatever you have to to get out now.

Even if I didn’t have kids I would get out of there, with kids moreso.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:49 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
You said you have a first grader and a pre-kindergartner? It would not be hard on them at all to take them out of school after the Christmas holidays. I mean, come on, it's not like they are in middle school or high school. They will make new friends immediately, both of them.
This. We just moved our 1st and 2nd graders to a new state last month. They adjusted within the first week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting