Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 07:25 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times

Advertisements

I think you are absolutely correct to not want them simply assuming they can use someone else's yard without asking. I would simply say " Hey guys, I really don't want you playing in my yard, thanks." In this sue happy society, there might even be some liability issues if one of them gets hurt. After all, you knowingly let them do it.

If they persist, take up dirt bike riding and use their yard for a test track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 07:57 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,068,325 times
Thank you everyone for your replies. My husband thinks that although it is presumptuous, it's not a big deal. But then again, he is rarely home when they are over here. I think you are giving me the gumption I need to say what needs to be said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Perhaps your house used to have kids in it that played with those across the street and playing in your yard or both yards was something they were used to and just did not think about the fact that the new owners might not want them there.
Interesting thought, but I don't think so because the previous owners had all grown children, and the owners before them were elderly.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:08 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,553,712 times
How far is the park exactly? We live across a park, and I don’t hesitate to let them play there. If it were a few blocks, however, I would have to go with them.

As soon as you mentioned football on your property, I immediately thought lawsuit. Friendly neighbors are not shy about suing if they have a good lawyer and can get money.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:15 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times
Do you have a sprinkler system?

Old 12-18-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
How far is the park exactly? We live across a park, and I don’t hesitate to let them play there. If it were a few blocks, however, I would have to go with them.

As soon as you mentioned football on your property, I immediately thought lawsuit. Friendly neighbors are not shy about suing if they have a good lawyer and can get money.
It's a couple of blocks. I can see not wanting the kids to go by themselves, but what about when the Dad is with them? Why does the Dad think it's ok for his son/s to be playing in my front yard? It's one thing if they were in the street and the ball went wayward a time or two. But no, the kid/s make a bee line for my yard and the Dad just sets up the throws in our direction.

Can a football break a window? I want to know what happens when the kid misses and the ball goes through one of our windows.

Why don't they play in their own yard? Ugh, drives me crazy.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Do you have a sprinkler system?
Yes.

Maybe I should turn it on?

Old 12-18-2017, 09:02 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
It's a couple of blocks. I can see not wanting the kids to go by themselves, but what about when the Dad is with them? Why does the Dad think it's ok for his son/s to be playing in my front yard? It's one thing if they were in the street and the ball went wayward a time or two. But no, the kid/s make a bee line for my yard and the Dad just sets up the throws in our direction.

Can a football break a window? I want to know what happens when the kid misses and the ball goes through one of our windows.

The people who lived there before probably allowed it. Just tell them politely that you do not. No reason to feel bad. It IS your yard, after all.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:04 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,553,712 times
Quote:

Yeah. It’s especially weird a parent is not only allowing their kids to play in your yard but are joining in. I would just ask nicely for them to play somewhere else instead. I would just ask politely that they don’t play in your yard. If you are wanting to be less direct:
1) Have your kids play in their yard.
2) Make sure the neighbors can hear you and then go out and tell your kids it’s rude to play on other people's properties.
If they don’t get it, just ask them politely to stop. Of course this plan involves your kids and some people might think it’d be like using them as pawns.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:13 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Quote:

Why don't they? I know the back yard has trees. What's the situation with their front yard?

Old 12-18-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Why don't they? I know the back yard has trees. What's the situation with their front yard?
It is on a slight hill so not completely flat, but their back yard is flat. (Their house is on a corner so I can see the backyard when I go for walks) . My front yard also has trees so IDK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting