Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 07:48 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,259 times

Advertisements

Absolutely unacceptable behavior and can't imagine why they think it's okay to do that on your property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 07:54 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,064,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
I wish you the very best of luck. It's maddening, isn't it? Had same problem in my old neighborhood, including the parents that trespassed right on over along with the children. Requests, yelling, talks etc were usually met with this blank, open-mouthed stare. The front yard nonsense never really stopped since I wasn't able to fence that. These folks were just that entitled. I truly hope that your neighbors are not on that level.
Yikes. Me too.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:15 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Would anyone suggest to a man that he bake something sweet to bring with him when he went to ask people to stop rudely trespassing on his property?
Ex-Lax laced brownies?

Old 12-20-2017, 03:52 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,099,400 times
What a bunch of old grumpy people. They are more than welcome to come and play in my front yard.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:31 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,668,763 times
OP, I had a similar issue recently, and in fact posted about it on CD. In my case, the man next door and his kids were using the basketball goal in our driveway at the house we just moved into. Perhaps the previous owners allowed this, but the noise would set my dog off and have her barking non-stop. Also, the garage doors had numerous dents in them, which we came to believe were likely from being pounded with basketballs.

It wasn't comfortable for me, but one day when they were playing basketball, I just walked out and explained that the noise bothers our dog, and that we have ordered new garage doors and don't want them to get dented. A couple days later my husband even went to their house, and told them they could have our basketball goal for free (it's a $1200 goal!) if they wanted it. The dad simply said they didn't have a place to put it.

We haven't seen or heard from these neighbors in the several weeks since these conversations took place. Even when my husband I were out taking little Christmas gifts to everyone on our street last night, only the kids (not the parents) came to the door at their house. So I don't know if they're mad at us or have just been really busy. It does make me feel awkward, but I know I had every right to expect my driveway to be our own personal space, not the neighborhood play area.

Good luck in dealing with this.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:50 AM

138 posts, read 114,743 times
Have you asked them to stop playing in your yard yet?

When I was a kid, me and friends played in a neighbors yard too, because it was a better layout for what we wanted to do. That is, until the homeowner told us to stop. And you know what we did? We stopped.

Don't make it more complicated then it really needs to be.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:01 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
Just throw one of those pesticide application signs on the front lawn and leave it up for a few weeks. (don't actually apply anything) The more warning signs and references to cancer on it, the better.

Or on a more serious note, just introduce yourself and ask politely if they could stay off the lawn.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:14 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,694,204 times
Moderator cut: orphaned post and response

If I'm asking a neighbor for something like a change in behavior, I always bring some cheap food to break the ice and soften the blow.

If you just go over and ask "politely" for them to change some ingrained behaviour, they're likely to be pissy about it and start a fight. This jerkoff has already made the value judgement that his enjoyment of YOUR yard trumps your property rights. It's not like he doesn't know, he just doesn't care. You have to make him want to care. To do that, you need to make him think you're a cool neighbor who brings treats, shoots the breeze, and then asks for something reasonable. Not the uptight jerk who can't lighten up about a little yard football. Catch them flys with honey.

Yes, basketball goal people, those neighbors are irrationally mad at you.

I don't like neighbors with annoying habits, but I hate feuding with annoying neighbors even more, so I feed them high fructose corn syrup and try to get them to change their habits. Then I let it go. That's how we all get along without starting stupid feuds.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-20-2017 at 07:59 PM..

Old 12-20-2017, 09:26 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
[quote=wac_432;50453253
If I'm asking a neighbor for something like a change in behavior, I always bring some cheap food to break the ice and soften the blow.

If you just go over and ask "politely" for them to change some ingrained behaviour, they're likely to be pissy about it and start a fight. This jerkoff has already made the value judgement that his enjoyment of YOUR yard trumps your property rights. It's not like he doesn't know, he just doesn't care. You have to make him want to care. To do that, you need to make him think you're a cool neighbor who brings treats, shoots the breeze, and then asks for something reasonable. Not the uptight jerk who can't lighten up about a little yard football. Catch them flys with honey.

Yes, basketball goal people, those neighbors are irrationally mad at you.

I don't like neighbors with annoying habits, but I hate feuding with annoying neighbors even more, so I feed them high fructose corn syrup and try to get them to change their habits. Then I let it go. That's how we all get along without starting stupid feuds.[/quote]

Ironically, I just told my husband to bring donuts (or something) to a department at his work who has been helping him out, and to encourage them to be more helpful.

So yes, if it were a guy, the advice is the same.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-20-2017 at 08:04 PM..

Old 12-20-2017, 09:49 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,559,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
What a bunch of old grumpy people. They are more than welcome to come and play in my front yard.
Me and my buddies will be in NC in a few weeks. Can we stop by your place for some football. Will you be serving any food or drinks???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting